Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/90

1       2       3              90      
       92       end

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4813

rattymouse

reza187
Total Posts: 125

First try with DP3M

timpdx
Total Posts: 1828

Reprocessing some shots from the DP2M taken early 2013...and yes, that aqua green is very real and accurate color for this old colonial era Yangon building.

juju1958
Total Posts: 742

snapsy
Total Posts: 4863

Walker Lake, Nevada

juju1958

NEWLYN by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

ST.IVES by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

rattymouse

^beautiful shots!

ksutton
Total Posts: 583

This camera is simply fantastic. Yes, it's a tripod-queen and the processing is about as fast as film but when you get the shot, it's outrageously good. The realism and pop of the images is already there before any real photo manipulation. I actually have to make sure they aren't over-sharpened most of the time.

jonmason
Total Posts: 24

the detail coming from these camera is amazing

juju1958

rattymouse wrote:
^beautiful shots!

Thank you Ratty.

_P2M2153x by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

_P2M2242 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

mstout
Total Posts: 169

Thought I would add a couple from recent trips, thanks for looking

juju1958

Mstout both good images, the second is impressive.

_P2M2932 by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

Ohmygod
Total Posts: 101

I really like the colors and tones in some of your photos juju1958. And often they don't show that typical HDR grittyness. I've been experimenting with Iridient Developer for a while, because I often find SPP results too hefty in microcontrast. But with ID I just can't seem to get the colours right, and WB balance Auto as well as the other WB presets are pretty crappy it seems. Which software are you using and what is your workflow?

asbalyan
Total Posts: 378

I love Sigma Foveon sensor cameras, owned original DP1 before (now converted to IR). Now prices of DP2M dropped considerably, finally decided to pick the camera. First about the camera, Its going back to Amazon. Sold as almost new (warehouse deal, but no charger in a package , and only one battery).

Plus, I am not able to get all this negative about handling. Seems like, people haven't used original DP1 ....
Yes, still lot of negative compare to other cameras, but results are just mind blowing to me. Cant imagine any camera touching the levels...

These are jpegs direct from cameras (just touch to curves in Picture Window Pro):
(PC hard drive crashed, dont have access to tool for the RAW processing )

My daughter and son:

rattymouse

The shots above make me wish I brought my DP2M to Vatican City when I was there last month.

juju1958

Ohmygod wrote:
I really like the colors and tones in some of your photos juju1958. And often they don't show that typical HDR grittyness. I've been experimenting with Iridient Developer for a while, because I often find SPP results too hefty in microcontrast. But with ID I just can't seem to get the colours right, and WB balance Auto as well as the other WB presets are pretty crappy it seems. Which software are you using and what is your workflow?

Hi. I am actually not happy with the colours of the above image, but tried my best. It is an odd area and which ever camera My 5D MK2 , Olympus, Nex they all struggle with the light on this location where the boat yard is.
So foremost some light is extremely hard to work with.
I have windows so am restricted to SSP 6.0.4. I treat each image individually and don't ever batch process, I see even composition dictating what way an image is processed. What I wish to enhance to become dominant or what I wish not to.
It is always from SSP as a same size TIFF 16bit to keep as much info as possible. I will then use Cs6 non CC most of the time, sometimes light room and sometimes Photo Ninja. I only use other than Cs6 if I am struggling a bit.
I also dislike the fill light in SSP when it give a HDR look so if anything I'll give it negative fill light and compensate the softening with a touch of sharpening. I play with the fringe correction which can bring the colours much truer to life at times, along with WB and colour picker.
In Cs6 I'll play with the individual colours as well hoping to get something acceptable.Such as selective colour adjustment layer, or the saturation and hue adjustment layers.Nothing complicated.

Hope that helps a little.

mstout
Total Posts: 169

Juju1958, he beat me to commenting on your color as well. The selective color layer you mention, is this a individual R, G, or B curve layer or are you doing it differently?

brendans
Total Posts: 8

juju1958 wrote:

I also dislike the fill light in SSP when it give a HDR look so if anything I'll give it negative fill light and compensate the softening with a touch of sharpening.

I'm a fellow fill light hater (usually). I've recently wondered if, like sharpening, the default 0 fill light is actually not zero fill light. Taking it down to -.1 or -.2 usually looks a lot more natural (at least for color).

juju1958

mstout wrote:
Juju1958, he beat me to commenting on your color as well. The selective color layer you mention, is this a individual R, G, or B curve layer or are you doing it differently?

This is the selective colour layer where you can play with each colour Red Yellow Green Cyan Blue Magenta White Neutral & Blacks.

selective light by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

I also use a lot the Hue and saturation layer, using each appropriate colour individually.

Hue saturation by Julian de Courcy, on Flickr

I never use the global saturation, saturation/hue is selective on each colour.

I also never use contrast , as it changes colour dramatically for the worse in my opinion. Any form of contrast is achieved via the selective colour layer using the hues. I work very much like I would using mixing paint from a tube and paint brush as that is what i know.

1       2       3              90      
       92       end