Sigma DP2 Merrill: Have any of you tried it?
/forum/topic/1150855/88

1       2       3              88      
       90       91       end

GeorgW
Total Posts: 4

tsdevine wrote:

Well, I pretty much shoot landscapes at ISO 100. Early on I noticed the magenta/green blotchiness....but I may have gotten immune to seeing it. If I expose carefully I don't see much in terms of banding, etc.

-Tim

If you have much rich colors on your image (green for example in Landscapes) and its sunny and nice, the blotchiness problem wont happen that much. But i always have it, when there are no colors. On grey parts of the image or on light brown parts. Or when its cloudy and there are no colours.
When you do such a picture you cant help with changing exposure etc. it will just happen.

tsdevine
Total Posts: 1012

I got both my DP1M and DP2M's in late fall/early winter. With all the winter drabness, I did notice it more. Since spring and summer came along, I just haven't noticed it as much (at least for my kind of shooting.) When it does happen, it is disappointing.

-Tim

millsart
Total Posts: 4648

Generally if the color is nice outside, sunny, radiant etc, then the Merrill's reproduce it well. When its overcast and such, not quite as well, however, the camera can do some really nice black and white , which often suits such scenes better anyways

juan_amores
Total Posts: 463

Some pics from a recent trip to Trujillo (Caceres, España).

_SDI1243 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1207 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1179 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1178 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1170 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1165 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1164 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1159 por John Loves, en Flickr

deadhumpy
Total Posts: 143

Just a quick snap shot.

deadhumpy

Detail shot from an old cannery boiler.

deadhumpy

Something a little different along with a heavy crop. Handheld on a boat, although is was pretty calm.

deadhumpy

Last one for now, king crab detail.

deadhumpy

Would of rather shot my d800 in this situation but I think the sigma handled the challenging light well. The colors seem very rich. Even though the nikon would have dug into the shadows better.

hmzimelka
Total Posts: 78

From a recent camping trip to the Niedersachsen farm in the Khomas area, Windhoek, Namibia...
Really dry... This is the farm where the two German geologists, Henno Martin and Hermann Korn, had their last hide out during their efforts to avoid arrest during WW2.

My friend with whom I did the trip... (using a M2 with a 50 Cron dual range)

Camp:

The remains of the last hideout of the two geologists...

nahte03
Total Posts: 22

I have truly enjoyed the Sigma DP2M and has become my landscape camera. There are times when the D800e enters my mind especially when I have to stitch multiple images to gain a wider perspective. But once I zoom in to 100% when processing my images, the details are so amazing that thoughts of the D800e slowly fades away.

Here are some recent shots taken by the DP2M

Dolly Sods - Bear Rocks by ChloEthan, on Flickr

Mist over Great Falls by ChloEthan, on Flickr

tsdevine

Found a nifty little workflow using the new version of Iridient Developer and PhotoNinja. Accidentally posted this in the DP1M thread as I shot both on this trip.

-Tim

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1639

Nice shot!
Care to share the workflow?
Though, I can only dream of Iridient Developer, as I am on a PC, sigh...

tsdevine wrote:
Found a nifty little workflow using the new version of Iridient Developer and PhotoNinja. Accidentally posted this in the DP1M thread as I shot both on this trip.

-Tim

tsdevine

I don't see the "green vignetting" in the latest version of Iridient Developer, it also seems to handle the magenta/green blotches better. I just do basic exposure adjustments there, try to get the color close, etc. I then save as TIFF and open in PhotoNinja. Change the Base Style to Scenic in the Color Enhancement section. Now, the next part is hard to explain if you haven't used PhotoNinja. I pick the Magenta color in the Color Enhancement section and set the Reference Hue to 4. This seems to pick up most of what's left of any magenta blotchiness, and then I desaturate it. I also do more exposure and color balance fine tuning. Also add a small amount of Noise Ninja processing. The results are IMHO spectacular and must less painful than SPP.

-Tim

rattymouse
Total Posts: 4150

juan_amores
Total Posts: 463

This thread is off!!

_SDI1439 por John Loves, en Flickr

_SDI1445_F_ByN por John Loves, en Flickr

bayvillian
Total Posts: 246

2 random black and whites for ya
bottom one is at 3200 iso

juju1958
Total Posts: 664

^^^^^ fantastic portraits of the two women.

Bobu
Total Posts: 1408

At the moment you can get all DP Merills new for 449€ at fotobrenner.de. Interesting offer.

Boris

bayvillian
Total Posts: 246

yea great deal on the cameras right now, I got mine when it was announced and paid a little over $1000 with tax. Still thought that was a fair price with the iq it provides. People always say this camera is only amazing at lower iso's which is true, but still usable at higher iso's. (Just like medium format, except cheaper)

1       2       3              88      
       90       91       end