Lightroom colour shift correction
/forum/topic/1150772/0

2       end

mcbroomf
Total Posts: 2410

Looks like LR is adding capability for colour shift correction. May be of significasnt interest to Nex 7 users.
http://labsdownload.adobe.com/pub/labs/lightroomplugins/lightroomplugins_dngff_docs.pdf

Mike

Edit for clarity

AhamB
Total Posts: 5030

We usually say colour shift when we're talking about color cast that varies across the frame. LR has always been able to correct global colour casts.

rscheffler
Total Posts: 4936

It's basically Adobe's version of Cornerfix.

mcbroomf

AhamB wrote:
We usually say colour shift when we're talking about color cast that varies across the frame. LR has always been able to correct global colour casts.

Thanks, I edited to make it clear

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3517

on rff someone was using blend>divide function for color shift. I've never tried any of these.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10680

sweet!

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5798

sebboh wrote:
sweet!

+1

mcbroomf

On the few instances I've had a printworthy image with objectionable shift, in the past I've developed 2 versions with different colour balance, layered them in PS then erased one to bring the corrected corner in view from behind. As LR now has colour balance in its local controls I've not had to do that for a while. It will be nice to automate this though and get all 4 corners matched. I find that my 28mm Contax G has bad shift on my Nex5N (which is odd since most people don't seem to have that problem).

Mike

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6080

Very good news.

What I found interesting in the documentation is that Adobe recommends shooting a white test shot for every scene for the exact light, focal length, aperture AND subject distance. I guess that's why CornerFix sometimes would give me funny results, since I always tried using one of a few test profiles, rather than a profile for every shot, which would be tons of work.

LightShow
Total Posts: 5067

Sweet! I was wondering why they had not done one.
Link: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/lightroomplugins.html

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

Awesome!

edit: man, it's too bad they couldnt' work this in as a raw edit rather than creating a DNG, but still cool.

LightShow

Jacob D wrote:
Awesome!

edit: man, it's too bad they couldnt' work this in as a raw edit rather than creating a DNG, but still cool.

Yeah, I agree, or have it automatically create a temp dng, perform the processing then write the processed dng to the same location as the original file. And with different suffixes for Color/Color & Vignetting, as it is, if you try one then the other it over-writes the previous version.

kj_vogelius
Total Posts: 62

mcbroomf wrote:
On the few instances I've had a printworthy image with objectionable shift, in the past I've developed 2 versions with different colour balance, layered them in PS then erased one to bring the corrected corner in view from behind. As LR now has colour balance in its local controls I've not had to do that for a while. It will be nice to automate this though and get all 4 corners matched. I find that my 28mm Contax G has bad shift on my Nex5N (which is odd since most people don't seem to have that problem).

Mike

This is what I do too doing it by eye with the local adjustment brush in LR4. Have found this gets me more consistent, better results than using other methods, and much quicker as well.

alwang
Total Posts: 1042

I think i'm just lazier than most. For the few times i see color shift that really bothers me, i just end up desaturating the magenta channel a bit. I like a little monochromatic vignetting, so unless my scene has a lot of magenta, this usually works ok for me. I guess if i shot a Nex-7 though, this might come more handy.

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9299

I hope it makes it into ACR... I can't stand using LR...

Jacob D
Total Posts: 1757

I've done the desaturation thing too. In some images such as fog, snow, or lots of overcast skies this can really take away from the image and cornerfix works a lot better (if you have a good profile). I've tried the adjustment brush also but in images with the characteristics I mentioned above it can be hard to get it just right. Maybe I just lack the skills.

Bifurcator
Total Posts: 9299

Instead of desaturated the entire frame like that why not create a B&W vignette frame with soft falloff (about the extent of the problem area) the size of your camera's frame and use that as the FX mask for applying the desaturation. Or just a large zero hardness desaturation brush and tap the corners of the frame till you like it?

edwardkaraa
Total Posts: 7571

Bifurcator wrote:
I hope it makes it into ACR... I can't stand using LR...

Me too!

By the way, what are the current options to correct the shift?

Cornerfix, this new plugin, in-camera profiles (M9), anything else? I tried cornerfix, and don't like it so much. In-camera profiles are good, but slightly annoying (I should remember to change them when I switch lenses, mine are non coded), and they also irreversibly affect the raw files.

LightShow

C1 too Ed.

I find LR easy to use, the CA removal tool is so handy, I can get an image close to where I want it within a few clicks, so I can decide if the image will work, then I can push & pull it the final bit required with a little more effort.
Presets are so handy, after you spend a lot of time and effort getting an image to where you like it, save it as a preset and you can save yourself some time the lext time you want that same look.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3206

Great.. just what I need. Was about time for Adobe.

C1 is pretty good in this, easy to make own profile. Probably cause every MF back has color shift.

2       end