Photokina: broncolor Move 1200 L
/forum/topic/1149948/0

James10013
Total Posts: 158

Profoto recently introduced the 1000 w/s B4--not to be outdone, Broncolor has announced the 1200w/s Move L (which appears to be a replacement for the Mobil A2L battery pack.)

1. "With 1200 ws of power weighing in at about 13 lbs, the broncolor Move is equipped with full asymmetry across two lamp connections, while at the same time having a control range of up to 9 f-stops, absolute color stability thanks to the patented broncolor ECTC technology, and flash times down to an impressive 1/20,000s, which satisfies any imaginable photographic application."

No word on pricing.....

danstone
Total Posts: 2

I've been holding off buying the broncolor Mobil A2L asi heard there was going to be a replacement.... glad i waited now!

400d
Total Posts: 1392

The pack itself with LiFePO4 battery should sell for $4.5k+, it appears to be a solid upgrade from the A2R/L. The 9 stops asymmetrical output is amazing, no more ND gel!

danstone
Total Posts: 2

comes with a head, waterproof cover, trolly backpack and softbox.... getting better & better :P

photosymbol
Total Posts: 293

And still no wireless control... just triggering, womp womp.

400d

There's wireless control, the RFS2 system is capable of changing power setting wirelessly.

http://bit.ly/PUuBLB
-Flash triggering Manual release button, photocell, RFS 2, sync cable

photosymbol
Total Posts: 293

Aha! I didn't notice they made a new version. nice.

400d

Actually RFS is capable of changing power on the RFS capable packs, just not on the A2R/L.

400d

Price for pack only: $4995, pack & 1 head: $6595. My guess of $4.5k+ was somewhat close.
http://bhpho.to/XlJPc1

stuuke
Total Posts: 1595

I shoot mostly Profoto but the Move is definitely tempting. A lot of performance in a small package and a much lower price than the B4.

400d

stuuke wrote:
I shoot mostly Profoto but the Move is definitely tempting. A lot of performance in a small package and a much lower price than the B4.

$5k for a pack only, still very expensive. Used Broncoloar gear value is usually <50%.

stuuke
Total Posts: 1595

400d wrote:
stuuke wrote:

$5k for a pack only, still very expensive. Used Broncoloar gear value is usually <50%.

There's no doubt that it's pricey but that's a given for most new Profoto and Broncolor gear. I'm not very familiar with Broncolor other than their reputation for quality. I assumed that they were priced higher than Profoto gear. The advantages I see for the Move are

13.7 lbs compared to 19 lbs
Smaller footprint
$500 batteries compared to $1100
$6500 with a head compared to around $9000 for Profoto
Led modeling light
1200 watts compared to 1000
Packaged with rolling backpack

The B4 recycles faster but the Move is still pretty fast. The B4 recharges in 45 minutes compared to 70 for the Move.

The Move doesn't have nearly the advertising of the B4 at this point and there's not much feedback out there for either unit. Based on the B4 write-ups the only thing you can use it for is photographing water . The Einstein's offer great flash duration but for 1000+ watts these two seem to be the current options for location work.

400d

stuuke wrote:
There's no doubt that it's pricey but that's a given for most new Profoto and Broncolor gear. I'm not very familiar with Broncolor other than their reputation for quality. I assumed that they were priced higher than Profoto gear. The advantages I see for the Move are

13.7 lbs compared to 19 lbs
Smaller footprint
$500 batteries compared to $1100
$6500 with a head compared to around $9000 for Profoto
Led modeling light
1200 watts compared to 1000
Packaged with rolling backpack

The B4 recycles faster but the Move is still pretty fast. The B4 recharges in 45 minutes compared to 70 for the Move.

The Move doesn't have nearly the advertising of the B4 at this point and there's not much feedback out there for either unit. Based on the B4 write-ups the only thing you can use it for is photographing water . The Einstein's offer great flash duration but for 1000+ watts these two seem to be the current options for location work.

Agree with what you said, it's indeed a well engineered product. One of the biggest disappointment I have with the Mobil A2R/L is the lack of ability to control power wirelessly (RFS gen. 1). I bought a new A2R kit from B&H 2 years ago, only to found that there are used kits on eBay for about 1/3 of the new price a year later-although this is due to the fact that Bron was phasing out the A2R, with the A2L as transition, and introducing the Move shortly later. Like I mentioned in previous post, used Bron value takes a huge hit, its used market is a niche. I'd say it only makes sense to rent or buy used for small timers like me.

The 9 stop symmetrical/asymmetrical feature is indeed a god sent gift, I had issues with the A2R having too much power at night, to solve this I had to either use ND gel, plug in another head to drop the asymmetrical power, or go back to the hotshoe flash route. I did not realize B4 was so much heavier than the Move though. The 30W LED modelling lamp on the MobiLED head is also a plus, it's a bit weak but given the size and requirement for heatsink of higher power LED, 30W is considered a balanced point.

visualist
Total Posts: 83

" ... due to the fact that Bron was phasing out the A2R ..."

Talking about phasing out. I know we don't even neeed to start with the specs, but at 1900$ a Ranger-Kit is actually quite a neat deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392226-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10280_Ranger_RX_1100_W_S.html

" Like I mentioned in previous post, used Bron value takes a huge hit, its used market is a niche."

Interesting. While also rather rare in Europe, Bron holds it's value just as good as any of their competitors. It took until about 2 years ago for the verry vintage models to take a well deserved hit on the second hand prices. Befor that, even stuff from the late 70s to early 80s used to be on par or more expensive then new Elinchrom equiptment. Even here in Switzerland where Bron has a much bigger market share.
With the only exception beeing Hazy-Lights. Nobody seems to have the space for this stuff anymore, so they are dirt cheap compared to prices in the US. (Not to mention the Multiblitz "knock-offs" which usualy go for, or even below 50$.)

400d

visualist wrote:
Talking about phasing out. I know we don't even neeed to start with the specs, but at 1900$ a Ranger-Kit is actually quite a neat deal.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/392226-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10280_Ranger_RX_1100_W_S.html

The Ranger/Quadra is a great system, definitely a good deal for the design and price. One can't go wrong with Elichrom, Profoto, and Bron. I switched from Photogenic to Bron because I want to settle with a reliable system and never change again. The investment is huge and at times I still question my sanity, I haven't regretted my decision.

visualist wrote:
Interesting. While also rather rare in Europe, Bron holds it's value just as good as any of their competitors. It took until about 2 years ago for the verry vintage models to take a well deserved hit on the second hand prices. Befor that, even stuff from the late 70s to early 80s used to be on par or more expensive then new Elinchrom equiptment. Even here in Switzerland where Bron has a much bigger market share.
With the only exception beeing Hazy-Lights. Nobody seems to have the space for this stuff anymore, so they are dirt cheap compared to prices in the US. (Not to mention the Multiblitz "knock-offs" which usualy go for, or even below 50$.)

All of my used Bron gear are from eBay US/UK/Germany, so I have been monitoring the used value for over a year. The Pulso G was over $3k USD MSRP, I have seen people having difficulty selling a used one for $1.8k even it's in great condition. Using the A2R kit as example again, B&H was selling it for $3.2k in late 2011, last year I bought a handful of A2R kits for $750-1.1k USD max on eBay, and there weren't even that many people bidded on those. I wouldn't be surprised EU used market is better than here, but heck everything is more pricey in EU so it makes sense.