DSLR Video Lighting
/forum/topic/1149863/0

CoLmes
Total Posts: 297

So I just bought an opteka stedicam... besides that being basically impossible to balance, I was noticing something when it came to taking video. I was in a low lit room with a tv on. When I panned around the room, the video brightness was one level of brightness. When I got near the TV, the surrounding area got very dark and the TV was brighter. Also, I was panning around I noticed that the video would change in its brightness.

I was just wondering how to keep the camera at one constant brightness the entire time when videoing.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8454

CoLmes wrote: ...I was just wondering how to keep the camera at one constant brightness the entire time when videoing.

Use manual exposure.

You set the ISO, aperture, and shutter speed, not the camera's meter, and it won't change until you tell it to do so.

If you're in any of the autoexposure modes, when the sensor detects a light source -- such as a TV -- it will adjust the scene's exposure to render that light source as a middle tone, and that will change the exposure of all other elements in the scene.

As far as your trouble with the SteadyVid (it's not a Steadicam, although many people misuse that trademarked name), this may help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp5f0zbmNgc

CoLmes

Yeah it was in manual.. Maybe i'm doing something else wrong.

cordellwillis
Total Posts: 5077

CoLmes wrote:
Yeah it was in manual.. Maybe i'm doing something else wrong.

Impossible. Something was not in manual. Check ALL settings ISO, shutter, aperture.

Would you not recommend this stabilizer because it's difficult to balance? I ask because I would like to play with the video on my 7D but I'm not deeply interested and prefer not t

CoLmes

My camera was probably in auto focus but I'm not really sure if that had to do with it but it was def. in manual mode.

No I think it's just a large learning curve. Right now I think it's more of a me being an idiot then the stabilizer not working. And it's something that I've never done before so its just going to take sometime. I'm sure by the videos people have put on youtube that it can be a great camera stabilizer, I just need to get better.

I'm basically using it for a shoot tomorrow. I need to learn how to do it by then I was messing with the 60d w/ 50 1.8 but might switch to the 5d mark ii and use the 60d for behind the scenes candids.

BrianO
Total Posts: 8454

CoLmes wrote: Yeah it was in manual.. Maybe i'm doing something else wrong.

What camera were you using?

As mentioned, something had to be in an automatic/self-adjusting mode; if you were in Manual exposure mode then maybe your camera has Auto ISO, Auto Lighting Optimizer, or some other function that would change the brightness on its own.

Micky Bill
Total Posts: 2566

I have a cheat sheet about what needs to be on or off for the proper video setting for my 5D2.
Is more than just M there are other things other menus.

PM me if you want it.

CoLmes

As far as the stabalizer is concerned. I can get the static balance pretty good but my dynamic balance is crap. Basically, I can get it standing straight up perfect. But when it comes to moving, it swings side to side and gets bouncy. I have no idea how to fix it, maybe I need more weight but it doesn't come with anymore.

I think I might have had auto iso. I'll def. be pming you Mickey. Thanks!

mmurph
Total Posts: 2656

Good luck!

Michael