First HI ISO adventures
/forum/topic/1149822/0



Bob Jarman
Registered: Feb 04, 2007
Total Posts: 6221
Country: United States

So I was drafted/volunteered by my wife to photographically chronicle a service sorority convention - rational guy that I am, I leveraged that into a D7000 and a bit of glass.

The band gave me free reign to roam at will (caveat - no flash) so appreciate your thoughts on my first venture into the band/club and hi-ISO arena. All taken with D7000 and f/2.8 Nikkor 80-200mm at f/4, ISO auto - min shutter speed 125 (I think), min ISO 200, MAX ISO 6400, using monopod.

Elvis entered the house later...

Thanks for looking,

Bob

PS - Question - on some images, the last in particular, LR4 does not render colors (blotchy areas resembling birth-marks) properly on monitor 1 (calibrated to monitor 1) but displays properly on monitor 2. Any ideas? Suggestions?



ben egbert
Registered: Jan 31, 2005
Total Posts: 6358
Country: United States

The Iso 1250 and lower look very good. Above that too much noise for my taste.

1,2 and 4 are well focused the front singer in 3 is too soft. I would have wanted her sharp and let the last one go softer.

By the way, heading to Colorado, see you guys in a week or so.



silvawispa
Registered: Nov 10, 2008
Total Posts: 693
Country: United Kingdom

Stage shooting is a bit tricky isn't it!
I do a bit of performance stuff here and there.
#1 and #4 are good shots.
Here's the harsh bit...

#1, nice angle and expressive, but ease back on the sharpening and saturation if you ever want her to speak to you again! (maybe a candidate for a little dreamy (soft) focus...)
Rookie stage shooting error on #2, that's just rude! (We all have this shot somewhere!)
If you haven't worked it out, then bless your innocent cotton socks!
Same issue multiplied on #3 with additional awkward shadows on the faces.
#4 I'm damn sure that LR's NR can do a better job than that!

I hope you enjoyed the experience, it's a really testing situation working right on the cusp of your equipments limits, often under other limitations.



Bob Jarman
Registered: Feb 04, 2007
Total Posts: 6221
Country: United States

ben egbert wrote:
The Iso 1250 and lower look very good. Above that too much noise for my taste.

1,2 and 4 are well focused the front singer in 3 is too soft. I would have wanted her sharp and let the last one go softer.

By the way, heading to Colorado, see you guys in a week or so.


Thanks for looking Ben, comment mirrors other reviews of ISO for that body.

Enjoy Colorado.,

Bob



Bob Jarman
Registered: Feb 04, 2007
Total Posts: 6221
Country: United States

silvawispa wrote:
Stage shooting is a bit tricky isn't it!
I do a bit of performance stuff here and there.
#1 and #4 are good shots.
Here's the harsh bit...

#1, nice angle and expressive, but ease back on the sharpening and saturation if you ever want her to speak to you again! (maybe a candidate for a little dreamy (soft) focus...)
Rookie stage shooting error on #2, that's just rude! (We all have this shot somewhere!)
If you haven't worked it out, then bless your innocent cotton socks!
Same issue multiplied on #3 with additional awkward shadows on the faces.
#4 I'm damn sure that LR's NR can do a better job than that!

I hope you enjoyed the experience, it's a really testing situation working right on the cusp of your equipments limits, often under other limitations.


Thanks Paul,

Yes, interesting, fun experience with lots to learn & living on the edge of the situation.

Fact is, I forgot to apply NR to all images - back to a kinder, gentler, approach

regards,

Bob



AuntiPode
Registered: Aug 05, 2008
Total Posts: 6718
Country: New Zealand

How about a crop, noise reduction, mid-tone bump, liquify tweaks, and some vignette?



Bob Jarman
Registered: Feb 04, 2007
Total Posts: 6221
Country: United States

AuntiPode wrote:
How about a crop, noise reduction, mid-tone bump, liquify tweaks, and some vignette?


I'd say that about does it!

What does liquify do?

Bob



AuntiPode
Registered: Aug 05, 2008
Total Posts: 6718
Country: New Zealand

Re-shapped the closer singer - a photoshop diet.