Venue rules
/forum/topic/1148597/0

2       3              5       6       end

TAGfan
Total Posts: 1582

So I'm shooting this venue in a couple weeks and I just got sent their 'rules and regulations'. The usual stuff mostly; don't leave gear all over the place, yadda yadda.

Then I get to the end and in big bold letters it says 'jackets are to be work at all times' - like it was obviously added after the form was created - as an addition. In addition - keeps referring to the photographer as a subcontractor - which clearly, I am not.

I am preparing an email at the moment - but I wanted to get a feel for just how peeved I should be.

Robin Usagani
Total Posts: 2842

Just show up in NY Giants jackets.

maxwell1295
Total Posts: 6338

Let me guess....Westmount CC

hardlyboring
Total Posts: 8231

will it be cold inside?
haha

TAGfan

Nope on both counts -- lol

ckhagen
Total Posts: 2132

Members-only jacket.

marti.g3
Total Posts: 2034

Is the Ritz Carlton or the Montage ? Does it specify what type of jacket ? Rain jacket, sports jacket, baseball jacket, windbreaker jacket ? I've never heard of that before.

TAGfan

The assumption is that its a suit jacket, as they make it very clear in the document that all of their events are 'black tie' events.

Don't get me wrong, I wear a shirt and tie to every wedding I shoot..but a suit? Come on

Robin Usagani
Total Posts: 2842

ckhagen wrote:
Members-only jacket.

Win! Green one!

maxwell1295

Is this place close enough for you to drive there and meet the manager(s) in person? I try to visit venues and introduce myself to the people in charge whenever possible. I had a venue a few weeks ago that gave me a mile long list of everything you could think of (where NOT to park, which entrances I COULDN'T use, where NOT to put my stuff, etc.). I drove there, met the catering manager, who made sure I read, understood and signed an agreement with the list. The day of the wedding they treated me like a king and fed me the best meal I've had at any wedding. I was not expecting that at all, but I think a lot had to do with me introducing myself and them seeing that I was a professional and a very pleasant person to deal with.

maxwell1295

ckhagen wrote:
Members-only jacket.

cineski
Total Posts: 4222

You should wear a suit and tie to a black tie event just out of respect. The guests will also look at you more favorably. Since it's black tie only the people there generally have more money. I'd try to make them happy and leave your ego out of it. But alas, I wear a black suit to all my weddings.

Scott Mosher
Total Posts: 2345

Wear this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ambrosianbeads/4186801076/

Inku Yo
Total Posts: 4382

cineski wrote:
You should wear a suit and tie to a black tie event just out of respect. The guests will also look at you more favorably. Since it's black tie only the people there generally have more money. I'd try to make them happy and leave your ego out of it. But alas, I wear a black suit to all my weddings.

It's not about ego.

cineski

Than what is it? A venue requires photographers to wear a black suit. This person doesn't want to and plans on fighting it. That's ego.

Inku Yo wrote:
cineski wrote:

It's not about ego.

maxwell1295

I didn't see where he said anything about fighting it.

cineski

Writing an email to the venue.

TAGfan

It's about being comfortable during a ten hour day, five of which they are suggesting I need to wear a jacket for. Considering I carry two cameras and a couple lenses on my body, that's a pain in the ass.

Not about ego...I look damn good in a tux/suit

canerino
Total Posts: 10561

8-Ball Jacket

TheGE
Total Posts: 968

They have a dress code. For a reason. Dress accordingly.

2       3              5       6       end