Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/180

1       2       3              180      
       182              192       193       end

carstenw
Total Posts: 15339

See!

But now that you mention it, I recall preferring the Olympus VF-2 to the NEX-7 EVF for similar reasons, as well as refresh rates and (at default) contrast issues.

I guess Olympus just does a lot more tuning to the EVF before shipping, compared to Sony. Now that they are working together on some projects, I would be surprised if there would be such a huge difference today. Maybe it is just a question of initial settings?

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10476

carstenw wrote:
See!

But now that you mention it, I recall preferring the Olympus VF-2 to the NEX-7 EVF for similar reasons, as well as refresh rates and (at default) contrast issues.

I guess Olympus just does a lot more tuning to the EVF before shipping, compared to Sony. Now that they are working together on some projects, I would be surprised if there would be such a huge difference today. Maybe it is just a question of initial settings?

I think the Olympus is made by Epson. I don't know if Sony is using the same one or maybe an in-house EVF.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

Brian Smith on the RX1 distortion fix:

'The Lightroom lens profile for the RX1/RX1r 35/2 cleans up the barrel distortion, but every time I try it, I go back the the original look - you should give it a try though if you're curious'

Agree with this.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10282

+1

incidently, can any give a link to the rx1 lens diagram? i thought i saw them at some point but google has been no help.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1766

I received my RRS grip. It much improves the stability in the hand, but I'm still getting used to it.
One thing I don't like is that I can't easily grab the aperture ring anymore because now my fingers are in the way on the right side of the lens.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5986

philip_pj wrote:
Brian Smith on the RX1 distortion fix:

'The Lightroom lens profile for the RX1/RX1r 35/2 cleans up the barrel distortion, but every time I try it, I go back the the original look - you should give it a try though if you're curious'

Agree with this.

Yeah, a little barrel distortion is great for shooting people with a 35. I usually don't correct mine.

douglasf13

sebboh wrote:
+1

incidently, can any give a link to the rx1 lens diagram? i thought i saw them at some point but google has been no help.

I'm not sure that the lens diagram was ever released. This is the closest thing that I've seen to showing what the internals look like:

Tariq Gibran

Yeah, that's the only thing remotely close to a lens diagram I have ever seen on the RX1...and it's not that great and doesn't appear to be very accurate. It's almost as if Sony were trying to keep the design a secret. Maybe someone can take their RX1 apart and tell us what it really looks like.

douglasf13

I remember watching a video interviewing some of the RX1 designers, and they wouldn't even let the camera man film the back of an RX1's sensor that wasn't in a camera, because of some special way that they attached circuit boards to the back of the sensor.

sebboh

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, that's the only thing remotely close to a lens diagram I have ever seen on the RX1...and it's not that great and doesn't appear to be very accurate. It's almost as if Sony were trying to keep the design a secret. Maybe someone can take their RX1 apart and tell us what it really looks like.

i thought somebody had done that already too.

if it wasn't for the internal focusing design and the fact that the rear element is essentially attached to the sensor mounting plate, i'd be tempted to take it apart to give it a real focus ring.

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
I remember watching a video interviewing some of the RX1 designers, and they wouldn't even let the camera man film the back of an RX1's sensor that wasn't in a camera, because of some special way that they attached circuit boards to the back of the sensor.

I saw that in one of the reviews as well. Seems odd since, I would think, all a competitor would have to do is buy an RX1 and take it apart.

sebboh

Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

I saw that in one of the reviews as well. Seems odd since, I would think, all a competitor would have to do is buy an RX1 and take it apart.

maybe they're all rigged to fry themselves if they get opened up. the camera equivalent of a cyanide capsule.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

In the best RX1 interview I have seen, the Sony engineers were very cagey about ALL the internals of the RX1, and even stated they were resigned to other companies trying to reverse engineering some of it.

A real focus ring is one major omission.

Tariq Gibran

I'm guessing we are all probably referring to this DSLR Magazine spanish interview with the RX1 designers (for some reason, the images are not showing up...hmm):

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=http://www.dslrmagazine.com/digital/tecnicas-de-fotografia-digital/sony-entrevista-en-torno-a-la-rx1.html&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhgQk753ZkhfdP2wX0t5z1bVOLNVwQ

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3568

Okay really basic question here...

I took Tariq's advice on using the included Sony strap. Much better, as I can adjust the length so it doesn't dangle everywhere. Wider than mine too, so a little more comfortable.

However, the strap doesn't have anyway of attaching it... so I took the "O-rings" off my old strap and used them. But they'll obviously rub on the body...

So what am I supposed to use? Can someone point me towards some sort of o-ring or lug protector or simply what I'm supposed to use here? I searched but cannot find it, probably as it's so basic.

I am ordering a different strap now. Like the Sony, but plain. I felt a bit of a goose advertising the SONY RX1 around my neck in bright white letters after I'd taped up the body

ricardovaste

In other news, Helena has bought us a weekend in Barcelona. So if I come back still not liking it, I will most probably cry my eyes out and throw it against the wall.

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:

However, the strap doesn't have anyway of attaching it... so I took the "O-rings" off my old strap and used them. But they'll obviously rub on the body...

The Sony strap is attached using the original RX1 triangular rings. These rings have plastic around the metal which prevents any damage (scratches, marks) to the RX1 body. The shape and small size of these rings also prevents the actual ring part (and even the plastic covered area) from even contacting the painted metal of the RX1.

Another good strap you might look into if the Sony branded logo bothers you is the Domke Gripper. I have this strap as well and it has the same width on the ends as the Sony strap so will work with the original RX1 triangular rings mentioned above.

ricardovaste

Thanks Tariq! I will look into the Domke Gripper too. Any idea what these small triangular rings are called ? My other Sony's have them on, no idea what they're called though...

EDIT: Never mind, I have now sourced some off my old Dynax 7 which should do the job.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2414

Jochenb wrote:
I received my RRS grip. It much improves the stability in the hand, but I'm still getting used to it.
One thing I don't like is that I can't easily grab the aperture ring anymore because now my fingers are in the way on the right side of the lens.

You may like or not like my solution. This thread, page 174, post 17.

ricardovaste

Bagh, okay, the triangle loop things off my Dynax 7 don't fit. It won't rotate around the lug. Any idea what theyre called and where I can get a real / thinner one for the rx1??!

1       2       3              180      
       182              192       193       end