Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/175

1       2       3              175      
       177              191       192       end

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1712

Urgh leather kits. I know we all have our preferences, but it makes me think about something like this:

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10266

serhan_ wrote:
I use the aki-asahi black leather cover:
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/RX1/leather/RX1_LeatherKit.php

You do realize this configuration will be the same as the new Hasselblad "Galaxy", but with a $6000 wood grip and a bid "H" on the front?

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
If I remember correctly, my OP/TECH neoprene is called the "Soft Pouch - Rangefinder." As I mentioned, I originally had the Leica version of this pouch, and water ran right through the neoprene when I tested it. Terrible! With the OP/TECH, the water does seep through the seams a little when I let a lot of water collect in the lens area, but not through the neoprene itself. Good enough for most of my uses, and water getting through the strap holes would be the bigger concern.

Yeah, I found my older Op/ Tech pouch and it is a much smaller one. I think I bought it for an older Sigma DP1 original. Measuring with the EVF on top, looks like the larger "Soft Pouch - SLR Auto" is needed for the increased height. I may give that a try as I like the minimalist idea...and one could also just toss the camera in a diaper bag, right?

You still might consider the rangefinder sized Op/Tech, first. The dimensions of my OVF aren't that much different than the EVF, and my case stretches over the OVF pretty easily. Not sure how your grip would affect things, but I do have my half-case on, too. I think the camera may be swimming in the SLR Auto version.

Just to follow up on the fit of the Op/Tech Rangefinder Soft Pouch, it does not fit with the EVF on the RX1. To force it to fit would require a 3" stretch which would put a lot of pressure on the EVF (which I would not feel comfortable doing). I do use the rubber eye cup on the EVF which raises the height a little but it would still be a very long stretch - over 2"'s. Without the EVF, it's a perfect fit and even with a small optical finder, probably not the large Zeiss one though (I have the small, rectangular plastic 28mm Leica finder), it fits with just a slight stretch (though it tends to slide the finder off when doing this). The larger SLR AF Soft Pouch might work but it might be way too big also as mentioned by Douglas, I don't know. If I decide to give it a try, I will update about the fit.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5894

Shoot, I'm sorry that I led you in the wrong direction, Tariq. I'm looking at mine now with the Voigtlander 35mm OVF, and I can pretty easily get another inch of stretch out of it. Maybe I'm being more liberal with the stretching, since my OVF is locked on pretty solid? Is your grip still on the camera? That could be the difference.

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
Shoot, I'm sorry that I led you in the wrong direction, Tariq. I'm looking at mine now with the Voigtlander 35mm OVF, and I can pretty easily get another inch of stretch out of it. Maybe I'm being more liberal with the stretching, since my OVF is locked on pretty solid? Is your grip still on the camera? That could be the difference.

No big deal at all. Even if I don't use it with the EVF, I will probably keep it. It may just be mine needs to be used/ stretched a bit to loosen up. I just tried it again and if I take my time and gather all looseness from the lens area and pull back strongly before taking the material down, it will snap closed but is pretty tight. The grip is on the camera but it adds very little height. I'm pretty sure the EVF is taller than the Voigtlander finder. I'm going to leave it closed with the EVF and see if it loosens up some.

douglasf13

Yeah, that looks about like mine. I forgot about the eyecup on the EVF, which I never used when I've had mine, so that makes the EVF a little taller than I expected.

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 89

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Yeah, just cameraleather.com.

Lol, it's really ironic that I have searched multiple sites for camera leather without results, but google came up in 0.1 sec.

Thanks for the link to their site, but nothing seems to be easy there. There are 9 sections on the order page, each section has 3 types of leather, each type leather has 6 types of color

For sure I thought I'd be able to hit the order button and be done in 1 min, now I have to figure what all the different types are

Dpedraza
Total Posts: 548

Jochenb wrote:
Urgh leather kits. I know we all have our preferences, but it makes me think about something like this:

man thats my old car.. not cool to post pics of it.

I feel the same way about the leather kits.

serhan_
Total Posts: 389

I like it that way, old looking That is what my cousin said eg how old my RX100 might be after seeing my brand new RX100 w/ leather last year compared to his shiny smaller P&S...

Jochenb wrote:

twoeye
Total Posts: 380

When previewing images I can no longer adjust the zoom scale by turning the control wheel, the control wheel rotate function has for a while been on and off. I guess the camera must be serviced.

Anyone else experiencing this?

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

After reading some of the chat re adapters, their impact on IQ and hard to find free lunches, I came across this article by Roger Cicala on distortion and the affects of software fixes for it.

Seeing as how the RX1 has a lot of it, and was 'designed to cope' with it (-, others might enjoy a look:

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/01/you-can-correct-it-in-post-but

I am at the stage I often actually prefer uncorrected images, and correct maybe 20-25%. But maybe I am strange.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4073

Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

No big deal at all. Even if I don't use it with the EVF, I will probably keep it. It may just be mine needs to be used/ stretched a bit to loosen up. I just tried it again and if I take my time and gather all looseness from the lens area and pull back strongly before taking the material down, it will snap closed but is pretty tight. The grip is on the camera but it adds very little height. I'm pretty sure the EVF is taller than the Voigtlander finder. I'm going to leave it closed with the EVF and see if it loosens up some.

Here is two cell phone shots of my optech cover which fits over the EVF and now my RRS L bracket with grip.
Forgot the model name of this optech cover.

Tariq Gibran

wayne seltzer wrote:

Here is two cell phone shots of my optech cover which fits over the EVF and now my RRS L bracket with grip.
Forgot the model name of this optech cover.

Wayne, thanks for posting the picture. That appears to be a larger model as it's made differently than the one I have.

twoeye
Total Posts: 380

Anyone charging their RX1 with an iPhone charger + USB-cable, should work well in theory?

tulaev
Total Posts: 88

I used Samsung Galaxy S2 charger but prefer this one:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147292/152#11681232

P.S. Has somebody an answer for my question?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147292/169#11782480

douglasf13

tulaev wrote:
I used Samsung Galaxy S2 charger but prefer this one:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147292/152#11681232

P.S. Has somebody an answer for my question?
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1147292/169#11782480

I've certainly spent more money than I should on half-cases in the past, and I've owned a few Gariz, but that price is still a bit too far, for me, so I haven't tried it. Looks nice, though.

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 89

A7 and A7R coming! I have no complaints of my RX1R IQ, except that the new FFs have tiltable LCD, weather-sealing and built-in EVF, 3 things that are seriously dragging my RX1R experiences down. Even today, I still do not have the RX1 EVF that I've ordered since August, because the entire country is out of stock here in Canada since July!!!

In any case, is it crazy to sell the RX1R for the above 3 features, and to compromise with a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 lens, instead of the f/2.0 on the RX1(R)?

The kicker is, the A7R+35mm combo may match or beat the RX1R in pricing!

Tariq Gibran

fredmirandafan wrote:
A7 and A7R coming! I have no complaints of my RX1R IQ, except that the new FFs have tiltable LCD, weather-sealing and built-in EVF, 3 things that are seriously dragging my RX1R experiences down. Even today, I still do not have the RX1 EVF that I've ordered since August, because the entire country is out of stock here in Canada since July!!!

In any case, is it crazy to sell the RX1R for the above 3 features, and to compromise with a Zeiss 35mm f/2.8 lens, instead of the f/2.0 on the RX1(R)?

The kicker is, the A7R+35mm combo may match or beat the RX1R in pricing!

Is it crazy? That all depends on what you want and how you use the RX1R. If you shoot at F2 a lot, yes it's crazy. If, like me, you use the EVF tilted up, then it would also be crazy. Also keep in mind that the A7R + 35mm 2.8 will not likely match the RX1(r) in price. You are looking at $2200 for the A7r body and very likely $1000 for the 35 2.8. So, $3200 for a package that is one stop slower vs $2800 (RX1r). Of course, what you get is interchangeable lens capability, more MP's (which we have to see how effective that is vs the RX1 (r)) and wether sealing for the body (but what about the lens?) so that's the trade off. I should add, IF you like using an optical finder in the RX1 hotshoe, that probably does not make much sense with the A7r.

lapino
Total Posts: 30

Thinking about selling my 5DIII + all L lenses and get the RX1. Still a bit uncomfortable about the AF speed. The lack of being to able to swap lenses less so, since I took my (now sold) NEX6+Zeiss 24 to south africa this year and never missed a longer lens except for the safari's.

Anyone who made the switch? Looking for 1st person experiences.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1712

lapino wrote:
Thinking about selling my 5DIII + all L lenses and get the RX1. Still a bit uncomfortable about the AF speed. The lack of being to able to swap lenses less so, since I took my (now sold) NEX6+Zeiss 24 to south africa this year and never missed a longer lens except for the safari's.

Anyone who made the switch? Looking for 1st person experiences.

What do you shoot?
I sold my 5DII and 6D recently (I had many L lenses in the past, sold them for Zeiss ZE later). If you need superfast AF the RX1 might not be for you. The AF speed is something that's slightly lacking on the RX1 IMHO. It's accurate, but not nearly as fast as your 5DIII. It also doesn't have PDAF, so forget about tracking a subject.

1       2       3              175      
       177              191       192       end