Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/174

1       2       3              174      
175
       176              192       193       end

Jonas B
Registered: Jun 05, 2005
Total Posts: 2465
Country: Sweden

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sweet! Nothing sexier than to see a pimped out RX1! I have recently started using a larger bag very similar in size to this Domke Satchel, the Ona Bowery. I'm also using the step ring idea for a lens hood but with only one 37mm empty filter on top.


Ditto! The One Bowery looks nice. It sure is more stylish than the trusty old Domke. I see you have positioned the camera in the bag in the same way - it's easy to grip and get ready that way so I'm not surprised. Thank you for posting!



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

Jonas B wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Sweet! Nothing sexier than to see a pimped out RX1! I have recently started using a larger bag very similar in size to this Domke Satchel, the Ona Bowery. I'm also using the step ring idea for a lens hood but with only one 37mm empty filter on top.


Ditto! The One Bowery looks nice. It sure is more stylish than the trusty old Domke. I see you have positioned the camera in the bag in the same way - it's easy to grip and get ready that way so I'm not surprised. Thank you for posting!


Yes, being able to quickly pull the camera out was one of the main benefits of the grip for me. Having the camera positioned like this was a criteria for the various bags I have used. Before I was using a smaller ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover that also allowed the camera to be stored in this position with EVF attached. I just started using this Ona bag and I'm quite impressed with it thus far as far as build quality for the price goes. Only time will tell how it actually holds up but on the face of it, it seems to be extremely well made. I also like the look/ feel of the waxed canvas. It's slightly smaller than my ThinkTank Retrospective 5, about 2 inches slimmer in depth (yes, I have a bag problem!).



douglasf13
Registered: Apr 09, 2008
Total Posts: 6107
Country: United States

It's fun to see everyone's setups. With an 18 month old running around me all the time, I decided to move back to a neck strap, after using a wrist strap and that little LowePro bag for a while. I need to be able to use both hands quickly, so neck strap it is.

Right now, I'm using my long, Gordy's strap (wear it cross-body) and ebay half-case, and I'm simply throwing on my Op/Tech neoprene rangefinder case when I walk out the door or throw the camera in a bag. The Op/Tech is relatively water resistant (my Leica neoprene case allowed water right through it,) but it obviously could get water in it. So, along with an ND filter, SD card, and extra battery, I have a large ziplock bag inside of my little velvet "survival" pouch that just goes in my pants pocket, or I can cram it into the back of the neoprene cover (I don't always bring it.) I just throw all of this (plus charger and more batteries) into a larger computer bag or whatever when traveling. I've got a lot of unused camera bags sitting around right now...as most of us do!

With camera leather, I've taped up the flash that I don't use, as well as the usb door and front logos. You'll also notice that I currently have the LCD cover taped up for 4:5 ratio, which I switch around from time to time. This camera should have a lot more image ratio options in software, darn it! Soft release is the same as Jonas'. Hood is 49-->37 step down ring on top of B+W filter:






















Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

Very cool looking Douglas. Absolutely love the look of the camera leather on the RX1. I have one one of those neoprene/op tech covers somewhere, though I need to see if it's the larger size that would fit. Great idea.

Yeah, you need free hands with kids/ toddlers running around - and grabbing at cameras!



douglasf13
Registered: Apr 09, 2008
Total Posts: 6107
Country: United States

If I remember correctly, my OP/TECH neoprene is called the "Soft Pouch - Rangefinder." As I mentioned, I originally had the Leica version of this pouch, and water ran right through the neoprene when I tested it. Terrible! With the OP/TECH, the water does seep through the seams a little when I let a lot of water collect in the lens area, but not through the neoprene itself. Good enough for most of my uses, and water getting through the strap holes would be the bigger concern.

Cameraleather is a pretty handy thing to have around. I've put little strips of it on various cameras for years, and it gives nice little grippy points that can be helpful. The leather on the LCD screen used to be a lot cleaner, but I've taken it on and off a lot, and I started getting lazy re-cutting new pieces all of the time. I still dream of a firmware update that allows 1:1, 4:5, etc., but I manage with this hack-y way of doing it.

I've started to finally train the little one not to grab at the camera quite as much, but it's a struggle, and that wrist strap I was using never let me put the camera down quickly enough when I need to grab him out of trouble or whatever. Back to the Gordy's.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10703
Country: United States

showing mine would be rather boring, it's just a stock rx1 with the 49mm to 37mm stepdown ring as a hood and some gaffer tape over the white writing and camera base that the original owner put on it.

douglasf13 wrote:
I've started to finally train the little one not to grab at the camera quite as much, but it's a struggle, and that wrist strap I was using never let me put the camera down quickly enough when I need to grab him out of trouble or whatever. Back to the Gordy's.


i found that the easiest way to get little kids not to pick up your camera is to let them have one of their own to play with. finally a use for all those old film bodies.



douglasf13
Registered: Apr 09, 2008
Total Posts: 6107
Country: United States

sebboh wrote:
showing mine would be rather boring, it's just a stock rx1 with the 49mm to 37mm stepdown ring as a hood and some gaffer tape over the white writing and camera base that the original owner put on it.

douglasf13 wrote:
I've started to finally train the little one not to grab at the camera quite as much, but it's a struggle, and that wrist strap I was using never let me put the camera down quickly enough when I need to grab him out of trouble or whatever. Back to the Gordy's.


i found that the easiest way to get little kids not to pick up your camera is to let them have one of their own to play with. finally a use for all those old film bodies.



Oh, I've definitely tried that. He likes to look at the LCD after I take a pic, which was my fault for showing him that in the first place.



sebboh
Registered: Nov 02, 2009
Total Posts: 10703
Country: United States

douglasf13 wrote:
sebboh wrote:
showing mine would be rather boring, it's just a stock rx1 with the 49mm to 37mm stepdown ring as a hood and some gaffer tape over the white writing and camera base that the original owner put on it.

douglasf13 wrote:
I've started to finally train the little one not to grab at the camera quite as much, but it's a struggle, and that wrist strap I was using never let me put the camera down quickly enough when I need to grab him out of trouble or whatever. Back to the Gordy's.


i found that the easiest way to get little kids not to pick up your camera is to let them have one of their own to play with. finally a use for all those old film bodies.



Oh, I've definitely tried that. He likes to look at the LCD after I take a pic, which was my fault for showing him that in the first place.


hah, yeah my daughter thinks all cameras are like film cameras and only phones can show you immediate pictures. once she figures that one out i'll probably have give her my old NEX-3 if i want her to be satisfied with her camera...



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

douglasf13 wrote:
If I remember correctly, my OP/TECH neoprene is called the "Soft Pouch - Rangefinder." As I mentioned, I originally had the Leica version of this pouch, and water ran right through the neoprene when I tested it. Terrible! With the OP/TECH, the water does seep through the seams a little when I let a lot of water collect in the lens area, but not through the neoprene itself. Good enough for most of my uses, and water getting through the strap holes would be the bigger concern.


Yeah, I found my older Op/ Tech pouch and it is a much smaller one. I think I bought it for an older Sigma DP1 original. Measuring with the EVF on top, looks like the larger "Soft Pouch - SLR Auto" is needed for the increased height. I may give that a try as I like the minimalist idea...and one could also just toss the camera in a diaper bag, right?



douglasf13
Registered: Apr 09, 2008
Total Posts: 6107
Country: United States

Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
If I remember correctly, my OP/TECH neoprene is called the "Soft Pouch - Rangefinder." As I mentioned, I originally had the Leica version of this pouch, and water ran right through the neoprene when I tested it. Terrible! With the OP/TECH, the water does seep through the seams a little when I let a lot of water collect in the lens area, but not through the neoprene itself. Good enough for most of my uses, and water getting through the strap holes would be the bigger concern.


Yeah, I found my older Op/ Tech pouch and it is a much smaller one. I think I bought it for an older Sigma DP1 original. Measuring with the EVF on top, looks like the larger "Soft Pouch - SLR Auto" is needed for the increased height. I may give that a try as I like the minimalist idea...and one could also just toss the camera in a diaper bag, right?


You still might consider the rangefinder sized Op/Tech, first. The dimensions of my OVF aren't that much different than the EVF, and my case stretches over the OVF pretty easily. Not sure how your grip would affect things, but I do have my half-case on, too. I think the camera may be swimming in the SLR Auto version.



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

douglasf13 wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
If I remember correctly, my OP/TECH neoprene is called the "Soft Pouch - Rangefinder." As I mentioned, I originally had the Leica version of this pouch, and water ran right through the neoprene when I tested it. Terrible! With the OP/TECH, the water does seep through the seams a little when I let a lot of water collect in the lens area, but not through the neoprene itself. Good enough for most of my uses, and water getting through the strap holes would be the bigger concern.


Yeah, I found my older Op/ Tech pouch and it is a much smaller one. I think I bought it for an older Sigma DP1 original. Measuring with the EVF on top, looks like the larger "Soft Pouch - SLR Auto" is needed for the increased height. I may give that a try as I like the minimalist idea...and one could also just toss the camera in a diaper bag, right?


You still might consider the rangefinder sized Op/Tech, first. The dimensions of my OVF aren't that much different than the EVF, and my case stretches over the OVF pretty easily. Not sure how your grip would affect things, but I do have my half-case on, too. I think the camera may be swimming in the SLR Auto version.


I was sort of wondering about that. The specified dimensions for the rangefinder size look too small but your point about stretching makes sense. I also know the next size up, "SLR Auto", would have at least an extra inch in two dimensions. I'll give the smaller rangefinder size a try and see how it works. Thanks.



wayne seltzer
Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Total Posts: 4175
Country: United States

I have been using my optech neoprene hood since the beginning and it nicely stretches over the EVF which I leave on. I just got the RRS L bracket with grip and it stretches over that too. It is smaller than the dslr one w hich is too big for my tastes.
Now I can take long exposure landscapes on a tripod.
The neoprene keeps things nice n light and draws less attention.



h00ligan
Registered: Jan 03, 2010
Total Posts: 2158
Country: United States

Wayne and others , what are your thoughts on the rrs l-plate grip setup



wayne seltzer
Registered: Dec 22, 2007
Total Posts: 4175
Country: United States

h00ligan wrote:
Wayne and others , what are your thoughts on the rrs l-plate grip setup


So far I like it. Makes it easier to hold and is confortable enough for me. Doesn't block any access to things like the battery and flash card holder.RRS did a nice job designing it.. Only downside is extra weight. But it now lets me use it on a tripod for long exposure shots, landscape and macro work if I want.



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

wayne seltzer wrote:
I have been using my optech neoprene hood since the beginning and it nicely stretches over the EVF which I leave on. I just got the RRS L bracket with grip and it stretches over that too. It is smaller than the dslr one w hich is too big for my tastes.
Now I can take long exposure landscapes on a tripod.
The neoprene keeps things nice n light and draws less attention.


Yeah, I completely forgot about these neoprene things. I did change my order for the smaller one and it's nice to get confirmation it works fine with the EVF.



Jonas B
Registered: Jun 05, 2005
Total Posts: 2465
Country: Sweden

h00ligan wrote:
Wayne and others , what are your thoughts on the rrs l-plate grip setup


I think, as I said on the last page, it is essential. I like tripods and I like cameras you can hold without feeling it slip out of your hand all the time. The integrated Arca-Swiss plates make a versatile camera even more versatile.

The grip is well machined, it is a very tight fit to the camera and you can access all ports. You mount it and never take it away. The grip part of the grip is a bit slippery (here John Milich has an advantage) but that is easily fixed if you find the need for that. If you never use a tripod you can probably get away with one of the cheaper options.



h00ligan
Registered: Jan 03, 2010
Total Posts: 2158
Country: United States

Yah the point of me getting it would be for tripods

I like the grip tape idea.



fredmirandafan
Registered: Aug 07, 2013
Total Posts: 97
Country: Canada

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Very cool looking Douglas. Absolutely love the look of the camera leather on the RX1. Great idea.


Does anyone know where to buy this "camera leather" tape? I tried searching for "camera leather" on ebay but all I got is whole bunch of leather camera cases.



Tariq Gibran
Registered: Oct 01, 2006
Total Posts: 10840
Country: United States

fredmirandafan wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:
Very cool looking Douglas. Absolutely love the look of the camera leather on the RX1. Great idea.


Does anyone know where to buy this "camera leather" tape? I tried searching for "camera leather" on ebay but all I got is whole bunch of leather camera cases.


http://www.cameraleather.com/hasselblad/

Yeah, just cameraleather.com.



serhan_
Registered: May 08, 2006
Total Posts: 443
Country: United States

I use the aki-asahi black leather cover:
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/RX1/leather/RX1_LeatherKit.php



1       2       3              174      
175
       176              192       193       end