Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/169

1       2       3              169      
       171              192       193       end

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10890

douglasf13 wrote:
How small is the bag that you put the camera in, Tariq? Is it snug around the shutter release?

No, it's not snug at all. The shutter does not actually come into contact with anything in the bag since it sits vertically with the EVF between the shutter button and the side wall of the bag. It's almost square in shape which seems to be the rough ratio when the EVF is attached. The bag is the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover 10 with exterior dimensions of 5.3 W x 6.1 H x 4.5 D. It seems to be about the smallest bag that will fit the camera with EVF and without putting any pressure on any part of the camera (very easy in/out egress).

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3933

I'm starting to wonder whether they'll update the firmware at all on this camera. It was released not too long after the A99, and that got an update, along with some NEX stuff. There seem to be no "signs" of one being in the works, given that the RX1R was released and didn't have any tweaks.

Right now, the one thing that just annoys me is the display coming back on all the day. I have my custom button sent to turn this off, but the camera should be able to remember that I want it off, have some sort of memory setting... like the MF, of course. I know you'll say they all have work arounds, but they should be simple to tweak !

One other note about OVF: The argument that they're useless for info isn't entirely true in the case of the Voigtlander model... you can see the aperture at the bottom! Just about. A lot more distortion in the VF than I expected, makes it more difficult to align things, but I'm sure I'll learn.

One random idea that will never happen: How about an EVF that can be set to capture say 40mm. But it can of course "see" all the way to 35mm, or slightly wider as some have suggested, so the EVF creates a bright frame / grid line type view. It's still a normal 35mm view through the EVF, but with a 40mm capture area outlined, and the camera automatically crops and records at 40mm.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6108

ricardovaste wrote:
I'm starting to wonder whether they'll update the firmware at all on this camera. It was released not too long after the A99, and that got an update, along with some NEX stuff. There seem to be no "signs" of one being in the works, given that the RX1R was released and didn't have any tweaks.

Right now, the one thing that just annoys me is the display coming back on all the day. I have my custom button sent to turn this off, but the camera should be able to remember that I want it off, have some sort of memory setting... like the MF, of course. I know you'll say they all have work arounds, but they should be simple to tweak !

One other note about OVF: The argument that they're useless for info isn't entirely true in the case of the Voigtlander model... you can see the aperture at the bottom! Just about. A lot more distortion in the VF than I expected, makes it more difficult to align things, but I'm sure I'll learn.

One random idea that will never happen: How about an EVF that can be set to capture say 40mm. But it can of course "see" all the way to 35mm, or slightly wider as some have suggested, so the EVF creates a bright frame / grid line type view. It's still a normal 35mm view through the EVF, but with a 40mm capture area outlined, and the camera automatically crops and records at 40mm.

Yeah, there needs to be a true LCD off option.

I completely agree with your last point. Now that we have all of these EVF/LCD based cameras, the manufacturers could get so much more creative with ratios, view modes, and crop settings.

Dneufarth
Total Posts: 1181

Wondering how people are converting the ARW files. I have been using the painfully slow Adobe DNG converter, and wonder if I am losing anything other than time. I have CS5 so of course the RX1 is not covered in RAW. What are the options other than the Sony raw converter--Dxo optics, Capture One, any free converters? And are there any advantages to one over another, or is raw conversion simply raw conversion. The Dxo Optics intrigues me, but it is awfully expensive.

Thanks for any input,

Derek

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2483

I use the Adobe DNG converter. On my old laptop it is slow, indeed. 24MP files are big. I haven't timed my desktop machine but about 1-1.5 seconds a file? Time is relative anyway - when converting, say a houndred or so images, I usually browse the Net, read posts here or make myself a cup of tea. Then the computer always is "faster" than I am.
I figure if the DNG converter is slow then your CS5 also is slow when opening and editing the RX1 files, no? I don't think any other raw converter is that much faster.

Raw converter are indeed different. Each one of them have some vocal users promoting them. People seem to appreciate different features they offer. For me ACR (or Lightroom) work good enough when used with a custom colour profile.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2483

douglasf13 wrote:
(...) Yeah, there needs to be a true LCD off option.

Yup, Sony should solve that with the "next" firmware update. When using the EVF this is not a problem though; when turning the camera on the LCD lits up for less than a second but apart from that it's the EVF all the time.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10762

Dneufarth wrote:
Wondering how people are converting the ARW files. I have been using the painfully slow Adobe DNG converter, and wonder if I am losing anything other than time. I have CS5 so of course the RX1 is not covered in RAW. What are the options other than the Sony raw converter--Dxo optics, Capture One, any free converters? And are there any advantages to one over another, or is raw conversion simply raw conversion. The Dxo Optics intrigues me, but it is awfully expensive.

Thanks for any input,

Derek

i just use lightroom 4. seems plenty quick enough for me. i've not heard that any of the other converters is much better other than the sony one being noticeably worse.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3141

For Merrill level detail apparently it's Photo Ninja. I am delighted with ACR in CS6. Don't forget you can push sharpness quite some way with RX1 files if needed.

'true LCD off option'. Just one of those little annoyances they should take care of, and really should not have been a problem in the first place.

Tariq Gibran

Depending on what I'm shooting, it's either Photo Ninja or ACR in CS6. A few months back I did some pretty intense testing/ comparisons with RX1 raws and Photo Ninja did come out on top overall. ACR is pretty good though. Dxo Optics was far behind these two mostly due to it's very noticeable inability to hold highlight detail by comparison. Photo Ninja was the best at extracting highlight detail (which surprised me).

tulaev
Total Posts: 92

Has anyone tried this new Gariz case?
http://garizen.cafe24.com/product/HG-RX1BK/SFSELFAA0000540/?main_cate_no=AAAI0000&display_group=1
Don't confuse with the older one:
http://garizen.cafe24.com/product/HC-RX1BK/SFSELFAA0000482/?main_cate_no=AAAIAA00&display_group=1

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 97

I let my 14-day return/exchange lapse on the RX1R, so I guess I've officially joined the RX1(R) club

But I still have up to 30 days to buy the Sony extended warranty so a question for existing owners, do you think it's worth it to buy the "extended warranty and accidental damage" on a high-priced item like the Sony RX1(R)? Will this keep/increase the resale value too? Also, I remember the store rep telling me it's a "perpetual" warranty too, meaning you could keep using it multiple times, not just a one-time damage.

These are the options: 1 year ($280), 2 year ($390), 3 year ($500), and 4 year ($600) and the store will "throw-in" a Sony-branded battery,plus external charger ($100 value) too if I get a minimum of 2-year and up, what do you think?

vovkinson
Total Posts: 844

1. you can find much cheaper deals on warranty (3rd party).
2. I would take 1 or 2 years warranty package and sell the camera when it expires. You will want to buy something different in 2 years believe me.

Tariq Gibran

I don't think extended warranties are "worth it" myself but that's only because in thirty years of refusing them, I have never found myself thinking - I should have bought the extended warranty. I figure the money saved by now will actually pay for anything that breaks during an extended warranty period (so I guess I "self" insure). That said, if you are someone who often breaks things, drops things and so forth, maybe it's worth it. With almost everything electronic that I have bought that has broken on it's own, it seems to always occur right away or during the regular warranty period. YMMV.

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 97

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I figure the money saved by now will actually pay for anything that breaks during an extended warranty period (so I guess I "self" insure). That said, if you are someone who often breaks things, drops things and so forth, maybe it's worth it.

So far I haven't dropped any cameras that I've owned (fingers crossed), but I've dropped my iPhone 5 a dozen times (thanks to Zagg's invisible shield). But unlike the iPhone 5, the RX1R will definitely not be able to withstand any kind of drops and since this is the single most expensive piece of camera gear I've ever purchased, my natural instinct is to go for some kind of extended or damage warranty.

But today I found out my credit card actually doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so maybe it's not very necessary to pay $280 for 2 years just as "damage insurance" in case I dropped it in water, smashed it on concrete or something else ridiculous. Even at $280 for two years of "extended and damage warranty" plus $100 worth of "free" battery and charger, to me it's still a bit steep. Can't decide.

snapsy
Total Posts: 5197

Just posting this for reference in case it's useful for others. I push exposures a lot on my cameras and when I do on the RX1 I can see the radial outlines of vignetting‎ correction feature when it's enabled. I leave mine off as a result ("Lens Comp: Shading" = OFF). Here's what it looks like - first image is with the vignetting‎ correction feature off, the second with it on. Both are raw images pushed 6EV in LR4.

http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-krZMKkp/0/XL/i-krZMKkp-XL.jpg
http://horshack.smugmug.com/photos/i-pmfvF8S/0/XL/i-pmfvF8S-XL.jpg

ebookman
Total Posts: 713

snapsy wrote:
Just posting this for reference in case it's useful for others. I push exposures a lot on my cameras and when I do on the RX1 I can see the radial outlines of vignetting‎ correction feature when it's enabled. I leave mine off as a result

Thanks for the post. Do you have advice for the next two compensation settings?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6108

Yep, I had similar issues when using lens coding on my M9 when raising exposure, too. Another thing to consider is that turning on the RX1's shading correction seems to make color shift worse, so I also leave it off.

snapsy

douglasf13 wrote:
Yep, I had similar issues when using lens coding on my M9 when raising exposure, too. Another thing to consider is that turning on the RX1's shading correction seems to make color shift worse, so I also leave it off.

If I had to guess I'd say the purple rings from the vignetting correction is due to coarse rounding of the raw data ADUs/values, resulting in raw-data posterization.

snapsy

ebookman wrote:
Thanks for the post. Do you have advice for the next two compensation settings?

I leave the chromatic aberration and distortion correction off since I'm a raw shooter (as most of us are), since I can correct those in LR/PS. I'm not sure if those options affect raw images like the vignetting correction does.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3933

Q. re: Voigtlander 35mm VF (metal) users - the part that you put your face/eye up against, is this a standard size/fitting? I'm wondering if I can buy any sort of cushioned eye cup type contraption? Just something small, that would fit around the edge.

If not, I'm sure it would be easy to fashion something yourself, but I just wanted to check first.

Thanks!

1       2       3              169      
       171              192       193       end