Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/168

1       2       3              168      
       170              192       193       end

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3643

Michael, yes, apologies, I had it during a 'work break' so didn't have time to reply, and it slipped my mind. I'll reply now!

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 97

Just received my JJC hood for the RX1, I like it much better than the Fotodiox one, fits in tight, doesn't wiggle/rattle like the Fotodiox one which is now being shipped back to them for a replacement.

Has anyone compared the finishing of the JJC to the Sony original hood? It's black in color but the tone doesn't quite match the body or lens, whereas the Fotodiox's black hood matches the shiny black of the lens perfectly.

dovey
Total Posts: 110

Friend of Fred,
Does the hood allow you to screw in filters? I got one of the cheap eBay ones that are great protection for the lens, but as it is a screw in filter, I cannot add a filter without taking the hood off.

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 97

dovey wrote:
Friend of Fred,
Does the hood allow you to screw in filters? I got one of the cheap eBay ones that are great protection for the lens, but as it is a screw in filter, I cannot add a filter without taking the hood off.

Yes both JJC and Fotodiox hoods allow filters and caps to be screwed in or taken on and off, which is why I like them!

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

This 11 page pdf, while being partly PR gives some background to how Sony came to arrive at the design, mechanical engineering and final product characteristics of the RX1:

http://campaign.odw.sony-europe.com/fsmc/ba/Interview_2_5_2.pdf

"The focus elements in the lens are more than 10 times heavier than those found in E-mount fixed-focal length lenses. The lens also has a considerably heavier drive
compared to those found in fixed-focal length lenses of other mirrorless cameras. This is because the drive motor controls two focus-lens groups and moves the
aperture as well."

And a five minute guide to assembling the camera, shown in the top left window of this video file:

http://petapixel.com/2013/01/17/a-5-minute-video-showing-how-the-sony-rx1-is-assembled/

ricardovaste

Great video, thanks!

Any tips on how to secure an OVF onto the shoe? Something that is preferably minimal, easy, non permanent...

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6059

I took a little piece of camera leather and folded it back on itself, so there is no adhesive exposed, and I just wedged it between the hotshoe and OVF as I was sliding the OVF into place.

douglasf13

philip_pj wrote:
It is a well known and oft lamented 'bug'. I have got used to removing the battery in any case, as it nearly always needs charging anyway, but another good reason for a bag with room around the camera top.

And to segue into a short review of the soft release called the 'Bip', it works better than pressing the CR socket masquerading as a shutter release, but is not a vast improvement in handholding at low s/speeds. Small and tidy, has more flexibility and looks good in RX1 black.

Does anyone know if it just takes a half-shutter press to drain the battery, or, rather, a full press until the "click?"

philip_pj

some on it here, douglas:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3358389

douglasf13

Ah, thanks. So it looks like it may not be about the shutter being pressed on the outside, but, rather, some soft releases triggering the cable release internally. I'm not having issue with my soft release, so I won't worry about it.

ricardovaste

Well I left mine over night with the soft release/shutter half pressed and it did nothing to the battery. So not sure why mine depleted the other day...

philip_pj

My main beef is the battery takes so long to charge compared with the NP500 whatever in the a99.

douglasf13

ricardovaste wrote:
Well I left mine over night with the soft release/shutter half pressed and it did nothing to the battery. So not sure why mine depleted the other day...

That's interesting. I wonder if the shutter has to be fully pressed? That would make more sense.

After looking a little more closely at the RX1's shutter button, I can't imagine what kind of soft releases the dpreview members used that caused the battery to drain without even pushing the shutter in at all. The screw on all of my soft releases look way too short to trigger the little pin down in the bottom of the shutter button.

To be honest, I actually like the feel of the shutter without a soft release (on Leica, too,) but I'm always worried about moisture getting down in there, so I found the tiniest, slimmest little soft release that I've seen, and I've been using that. Maybe mine is so small that it just isn't catching on things or being pressed accidentally.

sebboh
Total Posts: 10578

douglasf13 wrote:
so I found the tiniest, slimmest little soft release that I've seen, and I've been using that. Maybe mine is so small that it just isn't catching on things or being pressed accidentally.

which one?

douglasf13

sebboh wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
so I found the tiniest, slimmest little soft release that I've seen, and I've been using that. Maybe mine is so small that it just isn't catching on things or being pressed accidentally.

which one?

I bought it a while ago, but I'm pretty sure it was this one: link to ebay

Edit: I found it in my ebay history, and this is the release that I bought.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10670

I bought a soft release a few years back for the Fuji X100. I liked it so much, I hung onto it once the X100 was sold knowing at some point I would eventually have another camera it might fit. I find the added height to be more comfortable, which is why I originally bought it. It never drains the RX1 battery either and is fairly small but with nice detailing and quality. Here it is on my RX1.

Here is where I purchased it:

http://www.decameraconsultant.com/decamera/web/soft-shutter-release/soft-shutter-release.html

douglasf13

How small is the bag that you put the camera in, Tariq? Is it snug around the shutter release?

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1623

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I bought a soft release a few years back for the Fuji X100. I liked it so much, I hung onto it once the X100 was sold knowing at some point I would eventually have another camera it might fit. I find the added height to be more comfortable, which is why I originally bought it. It never drains the RX1 battery either and is fairly small but with nice detailing and quality. Here it is on my RX1.

Here is where I purchased it:

http://www.decameraconsultant.com/decamera/web/soft-shutter-release/soft-shutter-release.html

I use the same soft shutter release but it is the small soft shutter release in black on my Fuji X-E1.

Rich

philip_pj

These both look like they will work better than the rounded top MT Bip I got recently which feels a little squishy and domed, and does not locate the finger well. The convex DE I will try next, both these look more in keeping with the original design and keep a low profile as it were. Thanks.

I would never have thought it so important, but getting the right one surely is.

philip_pj

'Sony made a conscious decision to strive for maximum resolution, and the fact is under most circumstances, you’ll be thrilling to the amount of detail you’ve captured'

'you’re getting this camera partly because of its almost surreally petite frame. I have never, ever, used anything so tiny with such enormous capability, and any objections one can make are largely a testimony, not to bad decision making, but to a careful, conscious decision to prioritize certain aspects of size and performance.'

This is quoted from a review in Forbes magazine.

No, not the RX1, but the RX100, posted here to show how Sony Cybershot is doing the same good things through the range. I do hope they get ample development money from HQ.

1       2       3              168      
       170              192       193       end