Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/162

1       2       3              162      
       164              192       193       end

millsart
Total Posts: 4704

Do you guys think $2150 shipped and paypal'd for an RX1 is a good price ? I'm a bit surprised mine hasn't moved yet. Cheapest I saw them on Amazon for was about $2300 a week or two ago and they don't have any stock anymore.

Just surprised mine hasn't moved yet and wasn't sure if its just low demand due to people wanting an R version or maybe saturated market and my price is too high ?

sebboh
Total Posts: 10193

millsart wrote:
Do you guys think $2150 shipped and paypal'd for an RX1 is a good price ? I'm a bit surprised mine hasn't moved yet. Cheapest I saw them on Amazon for was about $2300 a week or two ago and they don't have any stock anymore.

Just surprised mine hasn't moved yet and wasn't sure if its just low demand due to people wanting an R version or maybe saturated market and my price is too high ?

i think word got out that you can get them on amazon for that if you're a little patient, so it might be hard to sell one for the same price?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5959

I paid $2165 for my RX1 on Amazon Warehouse a few months back, although I did have to pay tax here in California.

millsart
Total Posts: 4704

Could be, or maybe there was a good enough number of people wanting to upgrade to the RX1r that "flooded" the market (only takes a couple I guess since its not a huge demand item lol)

I figured that would net me about $2k for it after shipping/insurance/paypal fee's but I guess I might need to go a little lower.

Darn "r" model couldn't have waited just a few more weeks......

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10403

ricardovaste wrote:
The VF is designed for 35mm film, so shouldn't have aspect ratio issues. AFAIK the camera is set to correct distortions and other things too. So... if the lens is indeed a touch wider, and then cropped a tiny bit with corrections, it should still be roughly right. I guess it's hard to demonstrate without a photo, but this is hugely off guys... sadly dark /raining, so don't really want to go out to demonstrate right now, and I have to be up at 6am :/

Oh, sorry. I confused it with the Olympus mentioned earlier. If it's way off, must just be that specific finder in general. If it's a really cheap finder, it really doesn't surprise me that much.

Tariq Gibran

millsart wrote:
Could be, or maybe there was a good enough number of people wanting to upgrade to the RX1r that "flooded" the market (only takes a couple I guess since its not a huge demand item lol)

I figured that would net me about $2k for it after shipping/insurance/paypal fee's but I guess I might need to go a little lower.

Darn "r" model couldn't have waited just a few more weeks.......

Amazon "used" warehouse prices fluctuate dramatically. only a few days ago- maybe a week at the most? - there were a lot of them for, I believe, $1600-$1700. They were not in "Like New" condition but still I was shocked to see the low price. They are gone now so they must have sold quickly.

I think around $2000 - $2100 for Mint, very low frames shot condition is about right now roughly going by recent auction completed sells, but it can be difficult to pin down as many of these include extras.

edit...right now seems like a really tough time to probably sell with refurbished D800's going for $2000 and folks like us in the know aware of the FF NEX right around the corner. That, in addition to the RX1r is likely putting some price pressure on the RX1 used prices.

fredmirandafan
Total Posts: 92

With all the recent discussions about the VF, do you guys think an "M2" version of the EVF is coming soon from Sony? It looks like the hotshoe is "locking pin compatible" but not sure why Sony didn't implement a locking mechanism on its EVF like on the Olympus VF4.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5959

fredmirandafan wrote:
With all the recent discussions about the VF, do you guys think an "M2" version of the EVF is coming soon from Sony? It looks like the hotshoe is "locking pin compatible" but not sure why Sony didn't implement a locking mechanism on its EVF like on the Olympus VF4.

There's no indication of it, but who knows?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15271

millsart wrote:

Darn "r" model couldn't have waited just a few more weeks......

I am guessing that the market for these cameras has a pretty hard bound on it too. Perhaps most people who want one have one by now. That doesn't mean you won't be able to sell it, but it might take longer.

serhan_
Total Posts: 390

Sony nex viewfinder has a locking mechanism. I don't know why they changed it from that. The price for that dropped after nex-6/rx-1 releases. So it is keeping me not buying the viewfinder this time esp when FF nex pending. I ordered a used Oly optical viewfinder for $60 from keh and put black electrical tape. It looks/works great so far. Thanks for reminding that viewfinder. It is great!

Mostly used prices at stores including Amazon were between $2100-$2400 range except Amazon dropped it last week down to $1658 for very good condition. Otherwise I was waiting for FF nex. It came as new, unused except papers/box were missing. I ordered with the Fotodiox grip and it came from same Amazon warehouse location. Popflash also sold mint one for $2000 yesterday.

justruss
Total Posts: 4422

millsart wrote:

I think it'd be great to get that price as a sale right now (and you've got a shot; but it's a small window), but it's 50-50 if you're lucky enough to sell it at that price before the coming hit. Depending (and that's a big if, but it's an if that plays on many minds) on what happens with the FF NEX and a few other things, I think both the RX1 and r versions are destined to the $1500 used price far, far, sooner than expected.

It's true that it rules the roost in the niche (tiny, awesome fixed lens), but it's naive to think it doesn't also compete with the 6D and D600 new, and a plethora of used FF Canikons.

The big gamble that could work in your favor is if the FF NEX is more expensive (or for some reason not as desirable) as most FF mirrorless buyers think it will be. That would buy you a couple more months at the >$2K resale value on the RX1... plenty of time to get your price.

Remember what happened to the used 5D2 prices around the times of the 5D3 and 6D releases? Leading up to those releases the 5D2 used market price tanked. When those new releases were not as compelling as some expected-- the used 5D2 prices rebounded. But it was only a temporary rebound. Depending on the FF NEX release in a couple weeks, the RX1 is either going to stabilize at $1500 used (my prediction) or put a couple-month floor in at around $2K. I'm betting on the former outcome... which at some level bothers me since I don't want the temptation to pick up an RX1 myself until a better-performing AF is implemented in a later model.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

An interesting way of looking at it...true of course that all cameras with potentially similar performance levels compete against each other,at some level of buyer consciousness.

I see it differently. None of the others is a sub 500 gram leaf shutter compact full frame camera with a very good (trying to be understated) lens of a new design on it. If they were, the intended market audience for the RX1 would look at and perhaps buy them. The intended audience (and you can read this from Sony, the camera is clearly targetted at the 'Leica' level and style of photographer) do not want a cheap/used C/N DSLR to give them worse results from a same old design they mostly left behind, often years before.

Some other people who *may* have bought either a cheap FF DSLR OR a fancy small camera to see what the fuss is about, are better described as gear enthusiasts or 'system seekers', generally these people have eclectic and wide ranging tastes with no clear preference for a compact fixed lens FF camera certainly. This group probably inflate the apparent sales figures of any new release high end camera. But two different groups of people.

The NEX FF (which is strongly rumoured to retail upon release for ~$3000 sans lens) will still need a pretty fine 35mm lens as good to 'compete' meaning it will cost serious $$ and may make the RX1 look like good value. And if so, this new cam is another one aimed at 'could be' or 'want to be' Leica buyers, people who want small refined well engineered cameras with good build quality and high performance in a small package. Three CZ AF lenses is the latest word BTW.

I read you can buy refurbed D800s for low $2000s now. What the heck is a refurb, I ask myself, it sounds far from new. It'd be great though to see new RX1s go for say, $1200 in a year or less, more people can afford one then, even as a 2nd camera. That is quality for the people...

Time for a refresh by then you would imagine - how about 32Mp with next gen AF and performance (DR, SNR, etc), better EVF/batt life/better EVF implement, and fix the other quibbles we have? That's not hard.

The 24Mp sensor is approaching two years old soon, and getting worse by the week. Would you say the IQ of the RX1 will still be passable in a year? Or will it have deteriorated sharply by then, and be so far behind the glittering new models from other manufacturers

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3538

fredmirandafan wrote:

It is pretty weird how they missed that. It should be easy to put a lock on it, so I hope they do work this out IF they bring out a new EVF. But, isn't this shoe different to any NEX mounts? I can't see them being in a rush to bring out a new one.
millsart wrote:

I did see yours for sale, I think the price is fine. Just be patient. If you'd like to move it sooner, just put it on ebay and take into account the extra fees. I would however agree with Philip above, some reluctance may be down to the FF NEX being around the corner, supposedly. I kind of 'accidentally' made an offer on one last week, and ended up buying it, but otherwise I was settled on just seeing what happened with the FF NEX. But as mentioned, even with that, the RX1 is still a very unique little package.

I think it's got the potential for great longevity, as much as any other relatively high spec camera, assuming the right user has it. I mean I still use a900's, and most would consider them extinct by now, but they suit me and I like them. I've used a similar type of camera to the RX1 (well, similar in some ways) for years now, so I can certainly see myself using it for a long time. I guess it's got to be right, for the right person, and that type of person could well just be waiting to see what a FF NEX does, as they're likely in no rush to buy.

ricardovaste

BTW, trying to get some adhesive leather from cameraleather.com has been like squeezing blood from a stone. So if anyone in the UK/EU was also looking, I've just got some from here: http://cameramill.co.uk/shop/goatskin-leather-black/

Tariq Gibran

serhan_ wrote:

Mostly used prices at stores including Amazon were between $2100-$2400 range except Amazon dropped it last week down to $1658 for very good condition. Otherwise I was waiting for FF nex. It came as new, unused except papers/box were missing. I ordered with the Fotodiox grip and it came from same Amazon warehouse location. Popflash also sold mint one for $2000 yesterday.

You bought one of those "very good" $1658 RX1's off of Amazon and it came unused but without box/ papers? That would have been a major score and far better actual condition than one would normally get with that condition rating. Congrats!

ricardovaste

douglasf13 wrote:
My 35mm Voigtlander viewfinder is about right at .5m, in terms of the horizontal view, and the "air" around the frame increases from there. I wish it was correct in the 1-2m range, instead of .5m, but it's ok. I guess I could always just slide the OVF back in the shoe a bit, but I haven't bothered. Non-TTL OVFs are just rough guidelines most of the time, anyways.

Anyone care to comment on exactly how bad my VF is? Just curious, as I'd like a better one, but would like to know what to expect. Eitherway, the view isn't terribly comfortable and the frame lines aren't that bright, so 'real' VF should be an upgrade... hopefully...

Difficult to describe this correctly through a photo, but this is pretty much what I'm seeing. Actual image and then the 35mm frameline. And no, I've not actually been able to use the camera yet, hence this is a photo of the sky / hedge !

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
My 35mm Voigtlander viewfinder is about right at .5m, in terms of the horizontal view, and the "air" around the frame increases from there. I wish it was correct in the 1-2m range, instead of .5m, but it's ok. I guess I could always just slide the OVF back in the shoe a bit, but I haven't bothered. Non-TTL OVFs are just rough guidelines most of the time, anyways.

Anyone care to comment on exactly how bad my VF is? Just curious, as I'd like a better one, but would like to know what to expect. Eitherway, the view isn't terribly comfortable and the frame lines aren't that bright, so 'real' VF should be an upgrade... hopefully...

Difficult to describe this correctly through a photo, but this is pretty much what I'm seeing. Actual image and then the 35mm frameline. And no, I've not actually been able to use the camera yet, hence this is a photo of the sky / hedge !

If the entire image area represents exactly the output from the RX1, then that is indeed waay off and looks more like what a finder designed for at least a 50mm fov would look like if we use the entire frame as a reference for 35mm. I suspect you were not sent a finder designed for the 35mm frame of view. You can expect much, much better accuracy than that from a finder designed for a 35mm fov.

edit. If that is just the view looking through the finder without the RX1 actual image to compare against, it would tell us nothing. Corrected wording also above.

ricardovaste

The finder frame line says 35mm on the actual line. You see why I was surprised / disappointed now

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
The finder frame line says 35mm on the actual line. You see why I was surprised / disappointed now

I edited my post above.

So, you have not actually compared the framed image above to the RX1 image yet?

ricardovaste

The above image is just a snap outside with the RX1. It's sooc, from the lens (not shot through the VF). I made a note of the elements that were in the corners / on the frame lines, and then in PS I made a simple overlay to demonstrate where the frame line appear compared to the full image out of the viewfinder.

Does that make sense? I fear we may have gone slightly cryptic!

1       2       3              162      
       164              192       193       end