Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/160

1       2       3              160      
       162              192       193       end

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3571

For anyone looking for a case in the UK/EU. I had only looked on ebay, and these GARIZ cases are like Ģ120-Ģ150 on there, and from Asia. This store is in the UK, and WAY LESS. I ordered at 17:30 last night and it arrived at 9am this morning ! And that's just standard delivery.

http://www.lovecases.co.uk/

p.s. I didn't really want contrasting stitching but oh well. May be able to adapt that...

twoeye
Total Posts: 398

Jochenb wrote:

twoeye wrote:
I will have to live with the different aspect ratio, but I want to try if an OVF works for me, and the VF-1 is supposed to be of good quality at a reasonable price.

I had the VF-1 for my ex-Leica X1. It's just fine. Sure the framelines won't perfectly match, but you'll get used to that fairly quickly.
Found an example on Flickr (not mine):

The Olympus VF-1 atop the RX1:

The framelines match like it does in Jochenīs Leica X1 example above: at distance framelines match perfectly at top/bottom of the image, but the framelines are a little narrow left/ right. It fits snugly into the hotshoe with a very low profile, actually so low that the lens protrudes a little into the bottom of the viewfinder image. (A thumb grip with hotshoe would probably lift the viewfinder enough to eliminate this problem.) I think this will be a useful accessory, providing a very bright and clear viewfinder image and a steadier grip when shooting.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10486

twoeye wrote:

The framelines match like it does in Jochenīs Leica X1 example above: at distance framelines match perfectly at top/bottom of the image, but the framelines are a little narrow left/ right. It fits snugly into the hotshoe with a very low profile, actually so low that the lens protrudes a little into the bottom of the viewfinder image. (A thumb grip with hotshoe would probably lift the viewfinder enough to eliminate this problem.) I think this will be a useful accessory, providing a very bright and clear viewfinder image and a steadier grip when shooting.

What was the main reason you chose the 4/3rds format Olympus finder over say the Voigtlander 35mm finder? With the hood removed, would the end of the lens still intrude into the finder view?

ricardovaste

Yeah, with those examples from flickr it actually looks like a very solid option. It seems a nice size as well, so I imagine it's pretty nice and bright, unlike the little turd I ordered . The only thing I ask is that we somehow paint it black?

I remember looking at the VF-1 for a compact I had years ago, and painting it seems kind of feasible.

@Tariq: I imagine it's simply cost. The Oly finder is like Ģ25-45 from what I remember, or could be found around that. Whereas the Voigtlander is Ģ100 and upwards.

twoeye

Itīs something like half the price. Douglasīs Voigtlander alternative is a lot sexier, even if some black paint could help a little....

My hood adds a little to the protrution.

Tariq Gibran

Oh, I didn't realize the Olympus finder was that cheap. Interesting.

ricardovaste

Do most of you have the PCK-LM15 installed?

Tariq Gibran

There is also this Panasonic finder that looks suspiciously like the Voigtlander finder - but at about $100 less (and it has a black foot, unlike the Voigtlander). Still 4/3rds aspect ratio though.

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
Do most of you have the PCK-LM15 installed?

I do, and really don't even notice it's there.

ricardovaste

Good! Exactly what I wanted to hear, I'll order one. I'd hate for the screen to get cracked or anything.

I think that Panny VF is 24mm?

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
Good! Exactly what I wanted to hear, I'll order one. I'd hate for the screen to get cracked or anything.

I think that Panny VF is 24mm?

Oops, you're correct!

ricardovaste

Well, damn, I was hoping I wasn't. Anyway, I think there is a whole world of reasonably priced, odd looking 35mm viewfinders out there if you're willing to delve into the second hand market and pick up antiques.

This Russian finder goes for Ģ25-Ģ35. I imagine it's perfectly acceptable.

There is a Nikon & Canon finder which goes for around Ģ50 (Nikon below).

?nc=332

There were a few others I was looking at, but these are just through searching now.

I've opted to try just about the cheapest I could find ;-). It looks like this. Really don't know how it'll fair, but it should be reasonable small and hopefully I can see through it

Tariq Gibran

Yes, I have looked at those before, online. My guess is that none would likely satisfy me optically. The Olympus is interesting in that I suspect it's optical quality is very high relative to it's cost.

ricardovaste

How would you find an OVF optically dissatisfying? Just curious, I've never used one of these add-ons before. Inaccurate ? Hazy/dull ? Distorted ?

ricardovaste

twoeye wrote:
I bought my RX1 used with the original thumb grip, and it was a great improvement to the handling of the camera. Unfortunately, one day this ridiculously priced little piece of metal fell off despite the little securing lever, and was gone. I will never buy this thing at the price they are asking for it, and I have ordered this cheap little piece of metal instead, currently on its way from ebay..

Just coming back to this, I do see it has a locking lever: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666502787

Was the lever just not terribly secure?

I wish someone like fotodiox would make a similar version.

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
How would you find an OVF optically dissatisfying? Just curious, I've never used one of these add-ons before. Inaccurate ? Hazy/dull ? Distorted ?

Optical distortion, lack of clarity, degree it is prone to flare, dim versus others, brightlines that fade in certain light or are just difficult to see otherwise unless the eye is perfectly centered. Accuracy is not going to be perfect with any of these but one get's used to what to expect.

twoeye

ricardovaste wrote:
twoeye wrote:
I bought my RX1 used with the original thumb grip, and it was a great improvement to the handling of the camera. Unfortunately, one day this ridiculously priced little piece of metal fell off despite the little securing lever, and was gone. I will never buy this thing at the price they are asking for it, and I have ordered this cheap little piece of metal instead, currently on its way from ebay..

Just coming back to this, I do see it has a locking lever: http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666502787

The original thumb grip which I lost has a locking lever which secures the grip. The lever is protected behind the grip which swings open to access the review button. I used to use this lever to secure the grip, so what actually happened I do not know, I believe the lever must have been accidentally unlocked somehow, maybe while putting the camera into or taking it out of my bag with the grip in review position.

Please let me know if you find an alternative thumb grip with hotshoe.

Tariq Gibran

ricardovaste wrote:
twoeye wrote:

I had one of the Sony Thumb's Up type grips which I purchased used. The lever did not lock very tightly which resulted in a little play. I didn't think this was acceptable given the amount of money (almost $200 through Amazon Warehouse in "Like New" used condition) so ended up returning it. Not sure if this issue was just specific to the one I had or not. Other than that issue (and the knowledge it was not compatible with the EVF), I found it very comfortable to actually use.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6008

I've read that the Olympus viewfinder is smaller and darker than the Voigtlander, but I've never compared them. It certainly is a better price.

My number one firmware fix would be the option to set focus distance when the camera power cycles. However, at least it defaults to infinity. If you just keep the camera set to F11, you'll have everything from 11.8' to infinity in focus, which isn't too bad in a pinch when you need a quick grab shot.

While no M9, I personally find the distance scale on the RX1's LCD to be usable enough, and same with the X100s, although the Fuji's scale is a little better. All of the mirrorless cameras are a bit of a kludge in this regard, unless you're putting manual lenses on them.

ricardovaste

douglasf13 wrote:

My number one firmware fix would be the option to set focus distance when the camera power cycles. However, at least it defaults to infinity. If you just keep the camera set to F11, you'll have everything from 11.8' to infinity in focus, which isn't too bad in a pinch when you need a quick grab shot.

Not awful, I guess, but still not terribly useful for many. To me, a quick grab shot will likely be something in front of me, rather than far away. So if reasonable focus only reaches to 3.48meters away, that can be quite far / OOF. At f16, that goes down to 2.48 meters. Better-ish. Anyway, I HOPE they clock onto this and fix it. Sony do eventually do firmware upgrades, it just takes years, but hopefully this will be sooner...

1       2       3              160      
       162              192       193       end