Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/153

1       2       3              153      
       155              192       193       end

Chrissearle
Total Posts: 232

Thanks for the info, shame about the tax issue, I'd forgotten about that in my excitement!

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

Do you have a friend in a less blighted jurisdiction that may be able to buy you one and post it to you as a gift?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15755

I don't know what things are like in France, but every package which is not properly labelled with full billing/shipping addresses and complete paperwork, go to the customs office here in Berlin, when I order something. I then have to go pick it up, prove how much I paid, and pay duties. Having a friend who was willing to completely forge the paperwork might work, but I cannot imagine that it is worth the risk.

I would also like to have an RX1, but I am simply waiting until I can buy a used one in nice condition for <2000 Euro, EVF included. It will take some time, but that is the limit of what I am willing to pay.

serhan_
Total Posts: 425

Here is comparison of RX1 to RX1R:
DSLR Magazine: Sony RX1R - Performance and Samples

Is there a difference? Yes .. There! But it is also true that, in the laboratory, have to look, as they say "closely". For control subjects, we can estimate that the gain is to be between two and three percent and appreciated a bit more in the corners than in the center, which makes sense by the angle of incidence of light rays, although in the case of the Sony RX1, due to the proximity of the rear of the objective lens to the sensor , the difference should be low. In case of the Sony RX1R repeats what has already been seen in cameras such as Nikon D800 and D800E (the second, no AA filter), and the gain in resolution is noticeable, but not remarkable. The pattern is repeated for JPEG files, lower resolution than RAW, but with better light distortion correction native Carl Zeiss Sonnar T * 35mm f / 2 which gives the two Sony RX1 and its also very discrete chromatic aberrations.

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6064

The difference in resolution seems academic at this point, especially considering that the sharpening in the above test is likely the same for each camera, which puts the RX1 at a disadvantage. From the look of those MTF graphs, it doesn't look like the RXR1 has any resolution advantage at the edges relative to the center resolution, which is the only place that I thought the RX1R may have a real advantage.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 3164

"Blighted jurisdiction"

Thats sooo fitting in case of my little country.

(21% on everything here)

2270 GBP would be cheapest here (most likely fenced thru borders somehow.. grey market)

I didnt saw much of RX1R samples, but it seemed that removal of AA made 1) moiré bit more visible 2) gave nice boost to 3D effect.

millsart
Total Posts: 4814

Really shows how good the lens is not only wide open vs stopped down, but also across the frame on both these camera's

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3657

Just to stop by with my usual round of daft questions

1) There appears to be no eye sensor type contraption on the camera. So with OVF shooting, can you simply turn the screen off completely?

2) I use CS5/ACR/Bridge. I will need to buy Lightroom 5 to use the RAWs, right?

millsart

ricardovaste wrote:
Just to stop by with my usual round of daft questions

1) There appears to be no eye sensor type contraption on the camera. So with OVF shooting, can you simply turn the screen off completely?

Yes, you can have assign any of the programable buttons to turn the LCD on/off. It actually doesn't turn it completely off though, there is still a small information bar at the bottom of the screen which displays the shutter speed and such, but its otherwise a black screen.

Not 100% sure which all software titles are supported, but you should be able to update ACR to include the RX1 I believe. I personally find I'm mostly shooting JPEG as they are really good right out of the camera, very sharp, good color, good WB. There really isn't much I can do to the RAW's in most cases to really improve upon the JPEG's so unless its a really tricky or important shot, I'm pretty much just using jpeg (plus some of the cool in camera feature such as the 50mm crop mode work on jpeg only)

sebboh
Total Posts: 10624

LR4 works fine too, but yeah CS5 won't open the raws.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2426

ricardovaste wrote:

CS5/ACR/Bridge works if you first convert the Sony raws to DNG files.
Raw files straight out of the camera works with Lightroom 4 and 5.

philip_pj

It might be possible to use CS5 and use ACR to open native RX1 files, visit the Adobe page. I am sure you can do so 'pre-cloud' with CS6, not sure re CS5, it's ACR 6.2 from memory. If not, it's a reasonable price to get to CS6.

I am sure the jpegs are more than fine (and have some options only in that format I understand) but the RAWs are a revelation in what can be wrung from them, and very precisely. Huge recovery amounts (both ends), midtone pushes and capture sharpening / NR. You can also target low contrast tone curve segments for PS contrast increases to good effect. I guess the jpegs are helped considerably by the very accurate WB and metering.

Recently I had scores of centuries old (millenium old in some cases) murals to shoot in ultra low light; I recalled Tim Ashley's amazing garage wall shot and thought: yes I have the right camera for this job. The lens is very effective at flat field close distance work.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3657

I'd like that the JPEGS are good, but especially as a 'mostly B&W shooter' RAW processing is very preferable. I'd forgotten about the DNG conversion option, thanks for that!

millsart wrote:
Yes, you can have assign any of the programable buttons to turn the LCD on/off. It actually doesn't turn it completely off though, there is still a small information bar at the bottom of the screen which displays the shutter speed and such, but its otherwise a black screen.

That's kind of disappointing from a battery consumption POV, but I guess also quite useful to have basic info on the back still. I wonder, can you set the camera to automatically go to this "screen off" mode when you turn it on/off, or would you have to activate it via the menu or whichever assigned button you've used? Also, in manual focus mode, is the focusing scale on the bottom of the screen when in "screen off" mode?

Thanks guys

douglasf13

ricardovaste wrote:

That's kind of disappointing from a battery consumption POV, but I guess also quite useful to have basic info on the back still. I wonder, can you set the camera to automatically go to this "screen off" mode when you turn it on/off, or would you have to activate it via the menu or whichever assigned button you've used? Also, in manual focus mode, is the focusing scale on the bottom of the screen when in "screen off" mode?

Thanks guys

You can't set the camera to go directly to this screen mode when turning the camera off, but it does show the focusing scale in that mode.

Since the black screen mode doesn't likely save much on batteries, I've stopped using it for the most part. I've found that I'm using the OVF and rear LCD in tandem quite a bit, depending on the situation, so I just leave the LCD on these days.

millsart

Sneak peak of the new 105mm RX1t (tele) version

[URL=http://imageshack.com/i/g1nzbkj/]

Just playing around a bit with by box of various tele conversion lens. As you'd expect, none work too well with the native 35mm focal length, unless you want some interesting blurring off the corners, but if you use the built in crop modes, its pretty darn good edge to edge, although only 6megs of resolution. Still though, the resulting cropped image of about 105mm is more reach than you'd otherwise get from a RX1

douglasf13

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but here's a pretty interesting interview from DSLR Magazine with Sony about the RX1. Apparently, if I understood the translation correctly, Sony's doesn't want DSLR magazine to show pics of the circuit board on the back of the sensor. There are a lot of interesting tidbits:

link to translation

link to original

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10717

douglasf13 wrote:
I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but here's a pretty interesting interview from DSLR Magazine with Sony about the RX1. Apparently, if I understood the translation correctly, Sony's doesn't want DSLR magazine to show pics of the circuit board on the back of the sensor. There are a lot of interesting tidbits:

link to translation

link to original

This reads as if the RX1 is at least as meticulously hand assembled (perhaps moreso) than any current Leica...matching lens serial codes to specific sensor sub-frames, micro adjustments by hand with shims - impressive stuff.

philip_pj

millsart, you might be psychic, the rumour guy is talking about soon having info on another RX camera:

Sony writes:

'Sony aims to enhance its profitability through initiatives such as adding new models to the ‘DSC-RX’ series, which created a market for *high end* compact digital cameras with *large image sensores* (sic) developed by Sony last year.'

Tariq/Douglas, they have kept pretty quiet about the internals from the start, except for a few snapshots for PR. They did say recently that one of the reasons behind the performance was the ability to do just this in essence - perfectly align the sensor and lens, they also said this level of precision was not possible in an ILC camera.

So assuming (a fair bet) they will roll out another one with little foreward PR, what FL will it be? A lot of people want a 50mm...which could be fast enough and small, same for a short tele, a wider one would be much harder. Let's see them do a follow up model.

Also interesting is the rumour for a slowish 35/2.8 for the FF NEX, which would presumably take the body/lens price to 'out there' proportions..it has to be as good as the RX1 to be accepted well, is my thinking. I hope they see themselves as a high end brand going forward.

douglasf13

Tariq Gibran wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:

link to translation

link to original

This reads as if the RX1 is at least as meticulously hand assembled (perhaps moreso) than any current Leica...matching lens serial codes to specific sensor sub-frames, micro adjustments by hand with shims - impressive stuff.

Yeah, I hadn't read anything that specific before (assuming that the translation is good.) That rear lens element looks incredible, and I didn't realize that it was essentially attached to the sensor subframe. I knew the lens was close to the sensor, but, wow, there is little room for error.

I also found it interesting that DSLR magazine questioned them about why the aperture always remains at shooting aperture, because NEX doesn't quite work in the same way. Once the light gets low enough, NEX cameras open all the way up, and then quickly close at capture. Fuji does it a little differently, too. I'd imagine it's a matter of balancing AF speed, AF accuracy, exposure metering, shutter lag, etc.

douglasf13

philip_pj wrote:
millsart, you might be psychic, the rumour guy is talking about soon having info on another RX camera:

Sony writes:

'Sony aims to enhance its profitability through initiatives such as adding new models to the ‘DSC-RX’ series, which created a market for *high end* compact digital cameras with *large image sensores* (sic) developed by Sony last year.'

Tariq/Douglas, they have kept pretty quiet about the internals from the start, except for a few snapshots for PR. They did say recently that one of the reasons behind the performance was the ability to do just this in essence - perfectly align the sensor and lens, they also said this level of precision was not possible in an ILC camera.

So assuming (a fair bet) they will roll out another one with little foreward PR, what FL will it be? A lot of people want a 50mm...which could be fast enough and small, same for a short tele, a wider one would be much harder. Let's see them do a follow up model.

Also interesting is the rumour for a slowish 35/2.8 for the FF NEX, which would presumably take the body/lens price to 'out there' proportions..it has to be as good as the RX1 to be accepted well, is my thinking. I hope they see themselves as a high end brand going forward.

I'm not convinced that another RX1 style is coming anytime soon. I'd imagine that they'd expand the smaller sensor RX cameras and leave the RX1 as a halo product. If they do bring another one, it'll be interesting to see if they bring another lens with mass appeal, like a 50mm, or, instead, maybe bring a complementary lens to the RX1, like a 21-25mm or 75-90mm. I hope they don't bring the later. I've convinced myself that I can just use a 50mm on my NEX when I occasionally need something longer, which is rare. I don't want to be tempted.

1       2       3              153      
       155              192       193       end