Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/151

1       2       3              151      
       153              191       192       end

stuuke
Total Posts: 1598

My RX1 just arrived. Are there any initial setup suggestions in one of the RX1 threads here?

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5893

Here's a fun thread I found in regards to a couple of 1:1 35mm OVFs, for those interested. That Diax looks cool.

link to thread

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10264

douglasf13 wrote:
Here's a fun thread I found in regards to a couple of 1:1 35mm OVFs, for those interested. That Diax looks cool.

link to thread

That's so cool. I had no idea that external finders wider than a normal lens were even available in 1:1 magnification. Now I will have to track one down! Previously, the best finder I had used was an old 1:1 Leica 5cm SBOOI which Voigtlander later copied with their round metal 50mm finder.

douglasf13

I had an old SBOOI, too. It was great, but the absolute best 50mm OVF, IMO, is the Voigtlander Kontur. You don't actually even look through it, but, rather, it kind of projects the frame lines into your vision, so it is as big and as bright as possible (you have to leave both eyes open.) I still have one laying around somewhere. I should find it and see if I can hack in wider frame lines or something.

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
I had an old SBOOI, too. It was great, but the absolute best 50mm OVF, IMO, is the Voigtlander Kontur. You don't actually even look through it, but, rather, it kind of projects the frame lines into your vision, so it is as big and as bright as possible (you have to leave both eyes open.) I still have one laying around somewhere. I should find it and see if I can hack in wider frame lines or something.

I think I owned the Kontur also long ago. Too bad they didn't make them in a 35mm focal length.

Looks like it's going to be near impossible to find one of those 1:1 35mm finders from your link. It seems odd there are/were not more 1:1 35mm finders made (of course that Topcor one is huge). I would bet with current optics technology (inexpensive molded aspherics and such), it would be possible in smaller sizes to achieve. Probably just the little issue of there not really being a market to justify the development.

rodizzle33
Total Posts: 347

Man I just ordered a used Sony RX1, but the review on Steve Huff's website on the Sony RX1R is nothing short of stunning. I haven't even received the camera and I might regret it already!!!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/07/08/the-sony-rx1r-review-medium-format-quality-in-your-pocket-almost/

douglasf13

I honestly think that removing the AA in this camera is a strange trade off, considering the camera already exhibits moire and is sharp as heck.

TMaG82
Total Posts: 437

rodizzle33 wrote:
Man I just ordered a used Sony RX1, but the review on Steve Huff's website on the Sony RX1R is nothing short of stunning. I haven't even received the camera and I might regret it already!!!

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/07/08/the-sony-rx1r-review-medium-format-quality-in-your-pocket-almost/

I was having the same thoughts myself. Then I realized the difference in price I would be paying. I bought my RX1 on Amazon Warehouse Deals prior to the NJ tax collection. If I got the RX1R now it would be $2,993. So $750 more. I don't think it's $750 or a full RX100MII better than the RX1.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

Some assorted Sony and RX1 facts.

http://www.the.me/camera-makers-listen-up-pricier-high-end-cameras-revive-sony-brand-image/

Including this:

'The RX1 can adjust the image sensor and the lens by a thousandth of a millimeter to set them perfectly parallel and eliminate distortion. Such precision is unavailable in single lens reflex cameras because their sensors and lenses are produced separately, according to Sony.'

and if true this augurs well for more RX1 style cameras:

'Sony has been producing the RX1 at full capacity, targeting amateur photographers with advanced skills. Although sales of the RX1 are under 10,000 units a month, its solid reputation has helped to spread the popularity of other Sony models.'

10,000 a month or anywhere remotely near it smells like success for such a camera; not everone agreed upon its release.

Some choice quotes from David Kilpatrick, in September 2012:

'I have to say that at this point, Sony has left me behind.'

'I know someone who has a Leica M9 with just a 35mm f/2. That was a budget decision.'

'Its easy to use and fairly boring.' (about 35mm FL)

'I think, perhaps, that after a long time of ignoring photographers Sony finally listened. They may have listened to the wrong ones.'

'The lens enthusiasts of dPreview represent a tiny minority. Those who will spend nearly $3k on a fixed lens compact even with full frame are even fewer.'

'Now, when do I get to apply for a job selling it into China? There is one place with new buying habits to match this camera perfectly!'

Full production capacity, David, full capacity.

A lot of the old time Minolta people feel invested in the Alpha division of Sony. The RX1 and the RX100 series are from the Cybershot division. Let's hope Sony's CEO leaves the past where it belongs and pumps Cybershot full of R&D resources.

millsart
Total Posts: 4636

Who (other than apparently something of a moron) is this David Kilpatrick fellow ?

douglasf13

millsart wrote:
Who (other than apparently something of a moron) is this David Kilpatrick fellow ?

He is a pretty well known writer in the Minolta/Sony community over in Europe, and actually has quite a history as a photography writer in magazines and what not. He also runs photoclubalpha.com. He is kind of the Thom Hogan of the Minolta/Sony a-mount world.

Tariq Gibran

philip_pj wrote:

'Sony has been producing the RX1 at full capacity, targeting amateur photographers with advanced skills. Although sales of the RX1 are under 10,000 units a month, its solid reputation has helped to spread the popularity of other Sony models.'

Carefully chosen words there. I bet is the RX1 is selling 2000-3000 units a month max, which would likely still be considered a success for this camera (particularly since it's considered a halo product, as indicated by the last part of that statement). I remember when Fuji indicated they sold just over 100,000 X100's in 9 months and I have to believe the X100 sells in much greater numbers than the RX1 . If the RX1 was indeed selling anywhere close to 10,000 per month at it's price point, it would have to be considered not only a halo product but a huge runaway success. Who knows, maybe Sony did just that but the wording is suspicious.

millsart
Total Posts: 4636

At any rate I guess its selling well enough to introduce the R version, which probably wouldn't happen if the original RX1 was a total sales dud. They'd just quietly let it fade into the background as a good try, but ultimately a flop.

Don't know if I'd say its a runaway success either, but I know I find myself having one, and there seems to be a decent number of users on this forum who have wound up with one.

Maybe didn't sell that well at introduction, but once people got past the price, it seems to have been gaining steady speed.

Tariq Gibran

I think if Sony were to introduce variations with different focal length lenses, it would be a really strong indication the RX1 is a huge sales success. Since the RX1 is pretty much hand built to begin with, I suspect using the AA less version of the sensor was not a huge cost or production issue. Designing an entirely new lens, on the other hand, would be a huge deal.

Like you, I also suspect the RX1 is one of those cameras that is actually picking up in sales steadily since it's introduction.

douglasf13

Tariq Gibran wrote:
I think if Sony were to introduce variations with different focal length lenses, it would be a really strong indication the RX1 is a huge sales success. Since the RX1 is pretty much hand built to begin with, I suspect using the AA less version of the sensor was not a huge cost or production issue. Designing an entirely new lens, on the other hand, would be a huge deal.

Like you, I also suspect the RX1 is one of those cameras that is actually picking up in sales steadily since it's introduction.

The funny thing is, good AA filters are apparently relatively pricey compared to other components in the camera, so, unless the new Tri-Luminos colour display compatibility of the RX1R was an expensive addition, I could see the RX1R actually being less expensive to make than the RX1.

Tariq Gibran

Tri-Luminous colour display? I'm guessing that's the LCD screen I never use. Very Star Trek sounding though.

Maybe theSuede or someone knowledgeable could let us know about the quality of the AA filter in the RX1. I'm curious after seeing that Japanese link you posted Douglas.

douglasf13

Tariq Gibran wrote:
Tri-Luminous colour display? I'm guessing that's the LCD screen I never use. Very Star Trek sounding though.

Maybe theSuede or someone knowledgeable could let us know about the quality of the AA filter in the RX1. I'm curious after seeing that Japanese link you posted Douglas.

The Tri-luminous thingy just affects the output from the hdmi for use with certain Sony TVs, from what I understand, so it isn't a big deal.

Tariq Gibran

Oh, that's right. I completely forgot these cameras have an HDMI port.

serhan_
Total Posts: 389

This is from Sony presentation in Japan:
DC Watch Presentation report: Sony "DSC-RX100M2" and "DSC-RX1R"

"The center of the sale is going to be a DSC-RX1"

Kimio Maki said second Division of Sony Digital Imaging Business Division, described as "awakening the DNA of manufacturing of Sony" and "Cyber-shot DSC-RX" series. Said, "is dedicated to the creation of high added value to satisfy the user in a manner like. Sony was challenging task of conflicting miniaturization and high-quality image in the device development capabilities of overwhelming our own, to create a new market" he said. Average unit price of compact digital camera in the country as of May, Sony is high as 6,000 yen than the industry average.

- "The digital camera market, is shrinking definitely" (Mr. Maki)
- Every year of high-end compact market has grown significantly in that:

- DSC-RX100 is that it was the amount of money the top share in 2012 in the compact market in the world.

douglasf13

It's interesting that the presentation seems to explain why the RX1R is the same price as the RX1, despite the lack of an AA, but it is hard to understand the translation. I think they may be saying that the optical glass in the AA-filter's place is still expensive??

1       2       3              151      
       153              191       192       end