Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/148

1       2       3              148      
       150              192       193       end

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6012

I wanted to mention that, like others have said, a 49mm->37mm step down ring seems to work great as a lens hood. I finally found my step-down ring in a drawer (I used it in a similar fashion on the NEX 24/1.8,) and it works great, even on top of my 49mm B+W filter. It also blocks much of the white lettering around the front element, if stealth is your thing.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2416

It may depend on how thick the filter rings are but I use my step down ring on top of two empty 49mm filter rings. There is no vignetting, but very close to so a third ring is no option. I would guess two thick rings also is too much.

douglasf13

Jonas B wrote:
It may depend on how thick the filter rings are but I use my step down ring on top of two empty 49mm filter rings. There is no vignetting, but very close to so a third ring is no option. I would guess two thick rings also is too much.

Yeah, I could probably stretch it to two rings, too, but I'm just going to leave it. I'm really using it mostly for keeping the glass clean, since my arm/hand often swipes the front of the camera. The lens deals with flare nicely enough that I'm not too worried about it.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10496

My Fotodiox grip also showed up today. Overall, I think I like it, though it's certainly not necessary if one normally cradles the RX1 in the left hand. It does add some nice holding options though, such as a secure one handed grip with the right hand. Because the actual grip part is low, it also helps place the index finger right over the shutter button since the third finger of the right hand is allowed to wrap around the top of the grip. The other thing I really like about having this grip on the RX1 is that it gives me something to grab onto when pulling the RX1 out of the bag/ pouch.

Jonas B

douglasf13 wrote:
Jonas B wrote:

Yeah, I could probably stretch it to two rings, too, but I'm just going to leave it. I'm really using it mostly for keeping the glass clean, since my arm/hand often swipes the front of the camera. The lens deals with flare nicely enough that I'm not too worried about it.

Yes. One is enough. I tried two rings mainly to keep the camera more firmly between the dividers in the bag. I use a satchel bag and I have the EVF mounted all the time. So placing the camera face (or lens) down in the bag is not a super idea. The solution for me is to keep it standing on its left side (which in my case is the L part of the RRS grip). With two rings between the lens and the step down ring the whole contraption is held steadily by the bag insert. Having the grip pointing upwards make for fast and easy access when wanting to use the camera.

Except for batteries my only extra accessory in the bag is a polar filter with its own step down ring mounted to it.

douglasf13

Yeah, I just keep the camera on a strap with the Voigtlander OVF attached and half-case attached, and I use a neoprene OP/TECH rangefinder case that snaps tightly around it and folds easily in my pocket when removed. Batteries and an ND filter are my only accessories that I occasionally bring in my pants pocket.

I've been going crazy with the camera leather today. I cut out a piece that completely covers the flash, to seal it, since I never use it. I think I could do better next time around on trimming the leather, but I don't think it looks too terrible. It looks better in person. I also put some gaffer's tape over the USB door, under my leather half-case, so water doesn't get in. Finally, I put a strip of camera leather on the bottom side of the aperture ring, where it is smooth.

Apparently, the camera drains power when the shutter is partly depressed, so large soft releases may be a problem, but I'm using this tiny one, since I'd imagine moisture could get in the hole on the shutter button.

I'm not planning to shoot in a monsoon or anything. Just messing around with ideas.

blown out cell phone pic:

Jonas B

douglasf13 wrote: Finally, I put a strip of camera leather on the bottom side of the aperture ring, where it is smooth. (...)

That is not a bad idea at all. The RRS grip is too smooth so I put some friction tape a bit here and there. I also placed a strip of the friction tape at he aperture ring, at the "bottom" part of it as you described. Now I change aperture by pushing that part to the left or right, most often with my middle finger. It works fine.

Clearly an RX1 can be pimped in a houndred ways even without switching the lens.

My approach is much more about functionality than style. Maybe we all should take images of our cameras just to see how different they look in the end...

douglasf13

For those interested, I happened upon the Sony Japan site, and it says some interesting things that I hadn't read about the RX1, in terms of the sensor diodes, wiring and AA filter. Unfortunately, the translation isn't great, so I'm most curious about what they're talking about in terms of the AA. If it is a super special AA filter, then it's a bit funny that the new RXR1 is the same cost without it.

link to english translation

joe88
Total Posts: 2222

Douglas, what strap are you using on the RX1? Looks nice.

No forum discussion is complete without talking about accessories or pimped up cameras

millsart
Total Posts: 4741

I found the Black Rapid Metro to work really well with the RX1. Its one of those slider styles and you attach it to the bottom of the camera. Hangs really well at my side and I rather like not having anything on the strap lugs as it can get in the way during low level shooting.

I've got an AA that is nice as well, but it offers limited mobility for anything but just raising the camera to my face and shooting. Thought of trying the new length adjustable on the fly one they have.

douglasf13

That's a Luigi strap that came with the Luigi case that I used to have for my first X100. I sold the case and kept the strap. I believe that it is just Luigi's Deluxe strap without a lining. I removed the shoulder pad and the little leather piece that covered the buckle (it was starting to come off, anyways.)

The strap is nice and worn in, so, if I want to, I can just wrap it around my wrist a couple of times, and it doesn't feel bulky.

stuuke
Total Posts: 1598

Do any of the rapid straps work with the rrs grip/plate?

millsart

The Rapid straps just screw into a tripod thread, so provided the RRS plate has one, which I'd expect, it should work fine.

I'm surprised no one uses the flash more. I really like a built in flash and it was one thing I missed about my XPro. Comes in so handy when your shooting a backlit subject for providing some fill light.

The RX1, being a leaf shutter, is especially nice as it can sync at higher speeds. I've played around with using it as an optical trigger source to pop a speedlight held off camera. Nice way to have some wireless lighting and fast sync speeds for some fun with overpowering the daylight.

douglasf13

I've always been kind of an all or nothing kind of guy when it comes to flash. Outside of a couple of things like Hollywood events that I've photographed with DSLRs in the past, I'm usually either no flash or studio strobes. Not a lot of on-camera flash for me. Of course, one can cheat and just bring up the shadows in RX1 files, since they're so clean, but I try to just avoid situations where a flash would be necessary with my personal camera. If I was still shooting a lot of studio strobe stuff, I'd no doubt have fun with the leaf shutter.

millsart

I suppose that creatively I don't use much flash, but in social situations, such as when the sig. other wants a photo standing on the beach with a nice sunset in the background, the flash is somewhat needed to balance the exposure and prevent a silhouette.

Now personally, I'd probably rather have a shot of just the sunset, or if I have to have a person in the shot, the silhouette effect might be kind of fun, but generally out non photographer other halves and family/friends like to be able to make out who it is, so thus the pop-up flash comes out, I dial down the exposure for the background, and they think I'm some sort of rocket scientist of a photographer for being able to capture such a "portrait"

joe88

millsart wrote:
I found the Black Rapid Metro to work really well with the RX1. Its one of those slider styles and you attach it to the bottom of the camera.

Looks like a nice workable strap and price is right. I know a lot of photographers use these slider types but what are the chances of the tripod lug loosening on its own?

I have two AA acrylic/canvas straps, one with adjustable length and another fixed length. Nice and soft but wanted to try a leather one instead, I'm thinking of Gordy's shoulder strap but after looking at Douglas' Luigi strap, might just go for one of those and see how it works out.

joe88

I find the fill flash function on my RX100 to be easier to use compared to the one on my RX1, I could never get the fill to balance out nicely on the RX1, maybe I need more practice or start reading the manual

douglasf13

joe88 wrote:
millsart wrote:
I found the Black Rapid Metro to work really well with the RX1. Its one of those slider styles and you attach it to the bottom of the camera.

Looks like a nice workable strap and price is right. I know a lot of photographers use these slider types but what are the chances of the tripod lug loosening on its own?

I have two AA acrylic/canvas straps, one with adjustable length and another fixed length. Nice and soft but wanted to try a leather one instead, I'm thinking of Gordy's shoulder strap but after looking at Douglas' Luigi strap, might just go for one of those and see how it works out.

I've got a couple of the Gordy's straps. The thing that bugs me about them is how thick they are where the strap ring is, unless you go for the threaded end type.

joe88

Ok, good to know thanks! I'll probably give the Luigi strap a try since I could also use them on the Leica M. Not sure to go with a fix length version or the adjustable ones?

millsart

I've been using slider straps my on DSLR's with no issues, and I wouldn't think on something as small/light as the RX1 it could really break/strip out, and given there is a rubber washer probably not loosen either, but I do connect a small cable to the left strap lug of my DSLR's as a backup.

Probably wouldn't hurt to run a little strap from the RX's left lug to the slider part of the strap, just as insurance. Maybe just a little necklace type clasp and about 4" of cable.

As for the fill flash, you can dial the flash EC up/down as I'm sure you realize, but what you might not know is that in the menu, there is an option for the camera EC dial to adjust just ambient or ambient + flash.

1       2       3              148      
       150              192       193       end