Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/146

1       2       3              146      
       148              192       193       end

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6064

twoeye wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
Just out of curiosity, do you have shading correction set to "off" in your camera's menu?

Yes, I tried both on and off and with regards to the colour shift I could not see any difference in the RAW-files.

There is a difference, from the white test shots that I made, especially wide open at infinity. "OFF" has less shift, although not perfect.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

Tim Ashley has a lot more on this matter, two eye. The 'half-baked' issue!

Muizen
Total Posts: 23

Can anybody explain on basis of actual settings, how to use the "Clear Image Zoom" and "Smart Teleconverter" functions? I understand how to activate these functions in the RX1 menu, but not how to shoot using these zooms.
Thank!

millsart
Total Posts: 4820

Muizen wrote:
Can anybody explain on basis of actual settings, how to use the "Clear Image Zoom" and "Smart Teleconverter" functions? I understand how to activate these functions in the RX1 menu, but not how to shoot using these zooms.
Thank!

If you want a 50mm (or a 70mm) equiv FoV, you can turn this mode on (assign to any button really) and it crops the frame to that a 50mm lens and then also does a bit of uprez on it as well I believe.

In the end, its really not that different than just cropping the native image in post, but, if you just want to post some out of camera shots to the web or something, being able to have them framed right in the camera could be useful.

I'll actually make use of it sometimes

Muizen
Total Posts: 23

I finally found the way to use the zooming function in the RX1.
Amazing to see how it is very simple to go from 35mm to 70mm without any deterioration of the image! It is not only easier than cropping in PP but the image quality seems to stay the same and is most likely better than after cropping?

RX1 - USING THE ZOOM FUNCTION
I. Preparations:
a) Select Image Size "L:24M" (M and S can be used too but better start with L:24M.)
b) Make sure Quality is in "JPEG"
c) De-activate the "Smile Shutter function", if necessary
d) Drive Mode has to be in "Single Shooting"
e) Make sure "Digital Zoom" is set to "OFF", otherwise the quality of the zoomed image will deteriorate.
The Clear Image Zoom function is not available in Movie Mode and Sweep Panorama Mode

II. Assign the Zoom function
You can only use the zoom function after it has been assigned to one of the programmable buttons of the RX1 (C-Button, AEL Button, or the right, down or left buttons of the Control Wheel).
For doing so go in the Menu * 3 and assign "Smart Telecon./Zoom" to one of the programmable buttons.

III. Other selections:
a) In menu * 3 go to Smart telecom./Zoom and select "Zoom" or "Smart Telecon".
b) In the first Menu item 2 go to Clear Image Zoom and select "ON"

IV. Using the Zoom function:
Press the programmable button to which the Zoom function has been assigned.
When in Smart Telecon./Zoom "Zoom" has been selected , pressing the assigned Zoom Function Button will show a scale on the LCD with a zoom range from 1.0x to 2.0x whereby all in between zoom values can be used.
In case in Smart Telecon./Zoom "Smart Telecon." has been selected pressing the Zoom assigned button will open up a small square with 4 arrows in the left down corner of the LCD. It offers just 1.4x zoom. Pressing the Zoom assigned button a second time will increase the Zoom to 2.0x.

V. Shooting:
You will see the effect of the selected Zoom on the LCD.
After having selected the Zoom function and the required Zoom value, you can shoot.

VI. Additional Zoom ranges
By reducing the Image Size from L:24 to the other M or S values higher zooming values can be obtained. I did not apply these options because I do not need these.

millsart

I would wager (though haven't tested) that there are probably best uprez algo's one could use in photoshop if you wanted to crop and uprez in post, perhaps with a 3rd party software, but.... that certainly is far more work for what may be a marginal improvement.

Really with 24megs resolution, even just a straight crop to 50mm would probably make great prints 99% of the time.

Sony adding in a bit of uprezzing is just icing on the cake if you will.

Having just bought another XE-1 w/ the 35mm f1.4 Ill be curious to see how different 35mm f1.4 is on a 1.5x 16meg APS-C sensor which gives a 50mm equiv FoV vs cropping the 35mm f2.0 24mm to a 50mm equiv FoV

TMaG82
Total Posts: 520

I've decided to put my eggs back in the RX1 basket for now. Gave it a try back im February and didn't give it a fair chance. I'm seeing all these wonderful images and I'm jealous. Even though I have a NEX-6 and Zeiss 24, I feel like there's something missing. I think I've grown and developed skills over the past 5 months where I can appreciate the RX-1 more than I did before.

I think the very first reason th RX1 didn't take with me was the lack of a proper grip. I was so used to the NEX's Hand grip that anything less was too uncomfortable. I've resolved this by getting the Fotodiox Pro grip + rectangular hood. If that works great, otherwise I'll go for the RRS grip and plate.

I'm looking forward to getting some clean files to work with. I was shooting some pictures yesterday in my house of a family get together and images from the NEX were starting to get visible noise without using the flash. I even bought the 43AM flash but using that resulted in blown highlights that I hope I can recover.

I think the fixed lens will work much better for me. For the most part the Zeiss stays on my 6, but recently I gave the kit 18-55 another try. I was so indecisive yesterday switching between lenses that I must've switched 5-6 times trying to visualize a shot. Between introducing possible dust and the rush between changing lenses, I don't want to one day drop a lenses doing a lens change.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10718

TMaG82 wrote:
I've resolved this by getting the Fotodiox Pro grip + rectangular hood.

That Fotodiox Pro grip appears to be a newly available option and the design looks well thought out. For $70, I think I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for mentioning it.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3659

That does look really nice, especially for the money. Some of the other grips have looked a bit too bulky, but this seems like it could add enough 'grip' and still fit in well. Would be good to read more reports from those who use it!

http://fotodioxpro.com/index.php/fotodiox-pro-all-metal-black-camera-hand-grip-for-sony-dsc-rx1-cyber-shot-digital-camera-with-battery-access.html

joe88
Total Posts: 2231

Looks like a nice grip. Thanks for the link.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10718

That grip, btw, is $10 cheaper through Amazon.

millsart

Grip looks interesting and like a nice option to have, however, when I look at how I often hold the camera, I have some reservations about the ergonomics of the relatively deep vertical groove it presents.

For me, my middle finger tends to go across the body at an angle and rest against the side of the lens. My index finger actually wraps around from the back, right over the inset video button and falls comfortably to the shutter.

If with a grip I'd have to tuck my fingers in along the front, the overall orientation of my hand would be shifted forward and as such, my index finger would not be too far forward to hit the shutter comfortably.

On a camera like a DSLR, or a NEX7 etc, this works because the shutter button isn't on the horizontal plane of the top plate, its angled forward so it falls at hand.

I would think a better grip design would be a more triangluar shape that tapers in at the top (sort of like some of those Faniac grips for other cameras) to more naturally support how your hand already hits the camera.

I also find that I often cradle the camera using my left hand, especially with the EVF flipped up, thumb and index finger holding the lens. Not sure how well the grip would work for this style of shooting either.

At least the price is right.

Its a very cool looking hood though. Have to wonder if its really deep enough to provide much benefit.

I've got just a cheap $6 metal vented one that is a lot deeper and doesn't vignette so its not as if a 35mm lens really needs that wide of hood.

Speaking of the front of the camera as well. I'm thinking of trying another MagFilter magnetic filter holder like I've got on my RX100.

You stick a really thin little metal ring to the front of the lens barrel, which would cover the Zeiss logo, and then this little magnetic threaded holder takes 49mm filters and clicks onto that metal ring.

Be a lot faster than threading and unthreading everytime I need a 3 stop ND (which is pretty often)

douglasf13

Thanks for showing that grip. I hadn't seen that one. I have the same concerns as millsart, in terms of middle finger location, but I like that this grip doesn't extend all the way to the top, so I don't think it will be an issue, since it looks like my middle finger will still rest above the grip. I'm going to try one out.

TMaG82
Total Posts: 520

douglasf13 wrote:
Thanks for showing that grip. I hadn't seen that one. I have the same concerns as millsart, in terms of middle finger location, but I like that this grip doesn't extend all the way to the top, so I don't think it will be an issue, since it looks like my middle finger will still rest above the grip. I'm going to try one out.

I'll let you guys know when I get it and take some snaps and my impressions. I ordered on Sunday just before the Amazon tax went into effect for NJ. It's cheaper to get the full set (grip, hood, and release) then separately. I believe the hood is sold for $50, the grip for $70, and the release another $10. On Amazon I believe it was $110 for the set. So save $20.

douglasf13

Well, I went ahead ordered one, anyways. I already had the hood, so I missed out on the package deal.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2426

It may be "cheap" and working and all that but a grip with no A-S plate at the bottom _and_ moving the tripod screw out of the optical axis isn't anything I would opt for. Maybe if you very seldom use a tripod?

joe88
Total Posts: 2231

Does that rectangular hood screw in like those cheap $6 ebay hood or do they fit like the Sony version?

naturephoto1
Total Posts: 1638

Jonas B wrote:
It may be "cheap" and working and all that but a grip with no A-S plate at the bottom _and_ moving the tripod screw out of the optical axis isn't anything I would opt for. Maybe if you very seldom use a tripod?

Having used RRS brackets (but not this one and not having the Sony RX1) and presently the equivalent to this for my Fujifilm X-E1 camera, and though much more expensive than the Fotodiox, I would recommend this without hesitation:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BRX1-Set&type=3&eq=&desc=BRX1-Set%3a-Base-%2b-L-Plate-%2b-Grip&key=it

The bracket with the grip improves the handling of my Fujifilm X-E1 dramatically (though it is also great due to the ability to change lenses which is lacking on the Sony).

Rich

douglasf13

joe88 wrote:
Does that rectangular hood screw in like those cheap $6 ebay hood or do they fit like the Sony version?

It's a bayonet mount like the Sony version.

douglasf13

I think the grip on the Fotodiox looks like it will work better for me than the RRS version, for the reasons millsart stated, and the whole thing looks a little less bulky. The tripod differences shouldn't bother me.

1       2       3              146      
       148              192       193       end