Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/139

1       2       3              139      
       141              192       193       end

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10613

I suspect many RX1's that are returned are due to folks looking for an issue, however slight and or meaningless, to justify a return. That seems to occur more as the price of a product goes up. Someone buys something out of excitement and when they get it that "rush" is over. They then realize they either didn't really need it (or didn't research it enough to know if they needed it!), couldn't afford it OR they simply return it and move on to the next new thing for another rush!

douglasf13
Total Posts: 6039

I bought a Voigtlander 35 OVF for my RX1, and, I must say, it is easier to AF than I thought. While it would be nice to have an AF light near the eye, you can feel when the AF stops pretty easily, so it is pretty intuitive. I just went out and ripped off a bunch of test shots in various scenarios, and it doesn't seem like I'm much less accurate than with my X100s, although having the distance scale in the X100s' OVF is nice. The shots I missed are similar to the shots I'd likely miss with the X100s. It's great that the OVF is directly above the lens, so you only have to compensate for height a little bit when shooting something up close. While I'm obviously not going to want to use the OVF to shoot large aperture, up close, small subject type things, I think it'll be good for most general stuff, and, of course, zone focusing is also an option.

It's cool that you can deactivate the RX1's LCD, leaving only a strip at the bottom to show ISO/shutter/aperture. That's a nice option with the OVF attached.

I like using the LCD and OVF enough that I may actually return the EVF, which I never imagined would happen. I'm going to give it a little more time, though.

On a less important note, the Voigtlander OVF looks really cool on the camera, and the camera still fits in my tiniest Lowe Pro Apex 60 AW (I had cut a little divider out of the bag last year.)

p.s. I just realized that, when you deactivate the LCD, the distance scale still pops up for zone focusing. Nice.

teseg
Total Posts: 48

My first RX1 had dust spots so Sony took it back... But also had a fairly out of round aperture circle. It was ~400 in seriel number. My replacement is ~1500 in seriel number and really is a perfectly round aperture circle and no spots. AF also works excellent. I've been really, really pleased with it. If they could just fix my 2 pet peaves:

- reset to infinite focus when turned off or asleep
- battery drain when shutter release is depressed even when camera is turned off

If these 2 items were resolved I would be just that much more utterly content with this wonderful camera.

-Tom

Tariq Gibran

The RX1 can certainly eat some batteries. I wasn't aware of the battery drain issue. Now I'm wondering if that shutter button sometimes gets pressed accidentally in my bag (the camera sits vertical and could tip over so the shutter button touches the interior side). In any case, the Wasabi batteries and charger work perfectly so it's easy - and inexpensive - to carry spares.

douglasf13

Yeah, I also bought the Wasabi, thank goodness. On the flip side, at least the batteries are tiny and easy to pack. I'm surprised they're able to power the camera at all!

Sagar
Total Posts: 998

For the folks who bought it from Amazon Warehouse, do you know if Sony honors full one year warranty?

douglasf13

Sagar wrote:
For the folks who bought it from Amazon Warehouse, do you know if Sony honors full one year warranty?

I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm not sure. I did register the camera at Sony.com without issue, FWIW.

lovinglife
Total Posts: 2951

douglasf13 wrote:
It's great that the RX1 let's you use autoISO in M mode with working exposure compensation. It just about makes up for not being able to set a minimum shutter speed with autoISO.

Great Idea.. Just what I needed. thanks!!!

joe88
Total Posts: 2228

douglasf13 wrote:
... I just realized that, when you deactivate the LCD, the distance scale still pops up for zone focusing. Nice.

I'm not sure if the distance scale is as accurate as your X100s?

Tariq Gibran

douglasf13 wrote:
Sagar wrote:

I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm not sure. I did register the camera at Sony.com without issue, FWIW.

Same here. I was able to register without a problem. Hopefully, we will never need to test to see if the warranty is in effect or not. Amazon states the cameras are sold as "used" and without warranty but I really don't see how that could be the case since every RX1 is less than a year old.

douglasf13

joe88 wrote:
douglasf13 wrote:
... I just realized that, when you deactivate the LCD, the distance scale still pops up for zone focusing. Nice.

I'm not sure if the distance scale is as accurate as your X100s?

Yeah, it has fewer demarcations, although I tend to zone focus at 3m, anyways, and there's a marker for that.

I really can't believe how easy it is to AF with the OVF. I've never used an external OVF with AF before, and I thought it would be way less reliable. I'm really leaning towards returning the EVF, since I can just use the camera's LCD for more critical things.

Tariq Gibran

For photographing people, particularly fast moving kids, I find the EVF pretty useful, particularly when the AF is set for Auto face detection and also in situations where the subjects are very close. Having that feedback as far as where the focus actually is can be pretty critical. I guess if I was comfortable using the rear LCD, that might work but it's not really my preferred way of working.

For more distant and static subjects, I was surprised as well how reliable/accurate the AF is.

douglasf13

Yeah, since my eyes are able to focus to 7" pretty easily, I don't mind using the LCD up close, which I'm just starting to realize. I essentially shoot with the LCD in the same position as when I use the EVF tilted to 45 degrees, but the camera is just slightly higher and further away (great viewing angle on this lcd.) It works well for people pics, because I can look over the camera at the subject with only part of my face obstructed by the camera, so it's a little more personal (a bit like a waist-level finder.) Of course, a tilt up screen would be better, but after seeing that the sensor is already at the back of this camera, as opposed to NEX, where the sensor is basically in the middle of the camera, I think a tilt up screen would have added quite a bit of depth to the RX1.

Tariq Gibran

Unfortunately, my eyes are not so hot unless I'm wearing reading glasses. I may try your method with glasses though as it certainly would make the camera more compact for carrying (I don't like the idea of constantly sliding the EVF on and off as I'm paranoid it might result in a loose fitting EVF over time).

sflxn
Total Posts: 839

I see the Amazon warehouse deal often have the comments, "Item may come repackaged." Does this mean it does not come with original box and packaging?

freaklikeme
Total Posts: 5692

Yep, although most of their warehouse deals carry that label. My LAEA1 had the same warning, but it came with the OEM packaging. It was, however, missing the tripod foot, so I'd check the box contents carefully, even if it is the original box.

douglasf13

sflxn wrote:
I see the Amazon warehouse deal often have the comments, "Item may come repackaged." Does this mean it does not come with original box and packaging?

They have different levels of condition, but I'm not aware of all of the distinctions. Mine was called "like new," which is their highest rating. To be honest, had it not been for a scratch on the box, the battery being out of the original plastic bag, the twist tie not being around the usb cable, and the camera already having 1500 shutter actuations, I probably would have thought the camera was new. No physical signs of use on mine, so I think saving the $650 was worth it...knock on wood!

sflxn

I see some with like-new but with the repackaging note underneath. What worries me is this like-new one is cheaper than some lower rated ones. Missing items?

douglasf13

sflxn wrote:
I see some with like-new but with the repackaging note underneath. What worries me is this like-new one is cheaper than some lower rated ones. Missing items?

Hmmm, maybe there are some missing items. I'm not sure. Either way, you should order the Wasabi charger + two batteries, so the missing items may not even matter, if it's just the usb cable or something. You could always return it if you're not happy.

sflxn

What about warranty on these Amazon Warehouse deals?

1       2       3              139      
       141              192       193       end