Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/130

1       2       3              130      
       132              190       191       end

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

'The shadows were lifted and the highlights were quite rich. Same can be achieved with 5D2, but you have to make the curve yourself; whereas, the RX1 was more or less good to go.'

If you had a scene that just matched the DR of the RX1 say, you would have to recover one or both ends of the 5D2 image, as well as making the curve adjustment?

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3968

Philip, even before Tim Ashley, I and other early RX1 users said and showed shots with excellent sharpness at infinity distance. I remember when the first images were being posted in the forum by FM'r navyASW02 and many people here in the forum were criticizing the sharpness of the lens and I was seeing and saying how sharp the lens looked on some shots. After seeing the IQ potential in those early shots, ordered my copy right away in Dec. The high price makes people either make up reasons why they won't buy it or makes some send it back after they scrutinize the camera for any imperfections. I like how this camera has become an alt classic within the alt forum community.
While the masses here in the alt forum fall in love with their mirrorless croppers, I will follow the less traveled road of FF IQ bliss that my RX1 takes me on.

philip_pj wrote:
Jonas, few people ever get to experience how good life with a camera gets with a leaf shutter - on 'better' cameras if that term has not been outlawed yet.

It was a long time before I had other than a leaf shutter on my cameras: Hexar AF, Fuji GA645 and Fuji GA645zi, Fuji GW690 Mamiya 6 and Mamiya 7. The tiniest snick, no vibration, virtually inaudible sound, long life (except the big Fuji was badly implemented). The D200 and a900 were major disappointments in this respect, I thought they would jump out my grip at times, you have to overcome an involuntary urge to flinch with badly behaved shutters.

Now life is good again with the first curtain 'mirrorless' (and very decent sound level) shutter on the a99; and the RX1. This factor might just have been what pushed me over the edge in fact, as I saw a youtube video of the RX1 shutter sound - sublime.

It may be that the early doubts some had about distant IQ for the RX1 were due to users working handheld, and of course distant small detail is the master punisher of sub-optimal technique. Tim Ashley sure put that one out the door and into the bin.

On used prices, there are a lot of people the camera will not suit, so there will be plenty around, and sellers will be keen to recoup their big payout, that might mean better prices soon.

philip_pj
Total Posts: 3103

I think it's interesting Wayne and yes, I forgot there were voices on both sides of the infinity/distance performance. It's interesting to see the fine tooth comb in action as people try to find all manner of things in new cameras, esp ones as odd and strange as this RX1.

It's a good thing overall, don't you think, because soon the web community have it wired. My concern sometimes is that the reputation of the product can unfairly become a little tarnished in quick time and internet myths gain credibility, take on a life of their own. It is the opposite of 'fanboy' behaviour which can be swept up in celebration of a product. We humans are strange creatures...

As you know I only needed a certain amount of images plus the the idea grows on you - how can a single lens camera be so versatile? I see myself heading off with only it and a spare batt, lol. That wall image of Tim's is amazing, and the guy tualev links to on p130 (131 pages on a single lens camera?!) has a couple that give the same impression.

BTW, looking at your B&W images, what is your take on the DR - do you ever clip at both ends or get close to using the full range?

Visuals
Total Posts: 520

Sold my 5R and Kit lenses RX1 on the way!
Tested it out at B&H photo and loved what I saw!

photos to come

Peter Bui
Total Posts: 329

Same here, just ordered my RX1 and it shipped today!

I can't believe it costs as much as a used D800 (or more!)! But a digital full frame compact camera (with autofocus) has been a dream forever with me.

I have been shooting with full frame DSLRs for years, I think I've owned almost every lens under the sun at one point or another. But these days I am taking it easy and just use my DSLR and a 35mm/1.4 to take high quality candids of my family.

The bulk of the DSLR has been halting me from bringing it along for "mundane" outings as such... I always have had a bit of apprehension taking pics of my kids at the playground or something. A compact point shoot with a 35/f2 lens with no sacrifice in image quality is just what the doctor ordered!

The biggest remaining reason I keep my DSLR is the 85mm/1.4 lens - that continues to bring the "wow" shots.

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 3968

Yes, I shoot a lot of scenes where the extra DR of my RX1 is put to use. I don't usually clip any highlights and like to recover the detail in the shadows. The extra DR of the Sony sensors is one of the reasons I got a D800E after shooting only Canon. Less bracketing and blending.

As far as RX1's image in the photo web community,too many reviewers like Ming Thein and Lloyd Chambers dismiss the RX1 and rave instead over the croppers.
It will never be mainstream I feel and that is ok with me.

philip_pj wrote:
I think it's interesting Wayne and yes, I forgot there were voices on both sides of the infinity/distance performance. It's interesting to see the fine tooth comb in action as people try to find all manner of things in new cameras, esp ones as odd and strange as this RX1.

It's a good thing overall, don't you think, because soon the web community have it wired. My concern sometimes is that the reputation of the product can unfairly become a little tarnished in quick time and internet myths gain credibility, take on a life of their own. It is the opposite of 'fanboy' behaviour which can be swept up in celebration of a product. We humans are strange creatures...

As you know I only needed a certain amount of images plus the the idea grows on you - how can a single lens camera be so versatile? I see myself heading off with only it and a spare batt, lol. That wall image of Tim's is amazing, and the guy tualev links to on p130 (131 pages on a single lens camera?!) has a couple that give the same impression.

BTW, looking at your B&W images, what is your take on the DR - do you ever clip at both ends or get close to using the full range?

wfrank
Total Posts: 2735

Jonas B wrote:
All this made me dizzy enough to buy the darn thing. I now again have a camera, and what an interesting little machine it is.

Good for you. Looking forward to read your impressions.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2363

wfrank wrote:
Good for you. Looking forward to read your impressions.

Yes, thank you, I think it literally can be good for me.

It's exciting coming back to FF and a camera with a good performing lens and viewfinder. Yup, I got the viewfinder as well, I'm too old to become a full time monitor shooter.

My first impression, from the first time I handled the camera in the store, is that the camera is too small, too slippery (pretty much as the OM-D E-M5 I have been using for the last year) and in dire need of some modifications.
As Sony don't think a hood is needed I mounted a standard metal screw-on hood I had in the drawer (sold as a "normal hood") which seem effective. Then I added a rubber band to the foot of the viewfinder trying to secure it to the camera (works until the rubber band needs to be replaced I guess). Finally I ordered the RRS grip complete with L bracket.
The grip arrived yesterday. The grip part of it is a bit slippery (all polished aluminum) so I added some tape to it. All this transformed the GX1 from being an expensive toy into a photographer's tool. It is now bigger and heavier but ergonomic.

I don't plan on using the camera for handheld high ISO indoor close-ups, I could have kept the E-M5 for that, but here is a sample telling me I'll be able to have some fun with the camera. Mainly bulb light, ISO 12.800, f/4, a 33% crop, no noise reduction:

Yes, I like it this far (which is one week with little spare time for playing).

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 9907

A little tape, a rubber band, maybe a bit of bubble gum,...and even a 3K plus P&S can be made into a photographers tool! Just kidding of course.

Jonas B

Tariq Gibran wrote:
A little tape, a rubber band, maybe a bit of bubble gum,...and even a 3K plus P&S can be made into a photographers tool! Just kidding of course.

Oh, I wish it was that cheap. Here it is about 4K with the viewfinder. Still needed all that expensive extras. But no gum, heck, are you out of your mind?!

Tariq Gibran

Jonas B wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

Oh, I wish it was that cheap. Here it is about 4K with the viewfinder. Still needed all that expensive extras. But no gum, heck, are you out of your mind?!

Ha. Gaffer tape shouldn't leave a residue to that's probably better.

If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of your RX1 fully decked out - EVF, grip and so on.

ricardovaste
Total Posts: 3071

While you're all here...

ricardovaste wrote:
Random question: Can you set the AEL button to "spot-lock" on the RX1, as you can in Alpha cameras? By spot lock, I mean if you're in normal (matrix, center-weighted) metering mode, you can then engage the AEL button which will either toggle spot metering, or lock it (depending upon how you set it). Just curious as this is something I use all the time with my SLRs.

Jonas B

Tariq Gibran wrote:
If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of your RX1 fully decked out - EVF, grip and so on.

No problem, I'll do that for you, in a few days. Out of general interest I guess, I seem to recall you aren't interested in the camera really.

Jonas B

ricardovaste wrote:
While you're all here...

ricardovaste wrote:
Random question: Can you set the AEL button to "spot-lock" on the RX1, as you can in Alpha cameras? By spot lock, I mean if you're in normal (matrix, center-weighted) metering mode, you can then engage the AEL button which will either toggle spot metering, or lock it (depending upon how you set it). Just curious as this is something I use all the time with my SLRs.

That sounds like a neat feature. What SLR cameras does that?
I don't think the RX1 can do it. Reading the manual tells me the button can be used for a lot of functions but one at a time only. Then again, my experience from the camera is very limited.

ricardovaste

Minolta/Sony Alpha cameras have done it for years. So can you set the AEL button to a metering mode? It should be able to do it, pretty simple. Let me know when you get the time

Jonas B

ricardovaste wrote:
Minolta/Sony Alpha cameras have done it for years. So can you set the AEL button to a metering mode? It should be able to do it, pretty simple. Let me know when you get the time

A positive.
Yes, you can set the AE button to toggle or hold the exposure until you press it again and there is also an option where pressing the button make the camera switch to spot metering and either hold the exposure while keeping the button pressed or hold the value until pressed again. Well done Sony (and maybe the function is described in the manual somewhere, I didn't see it)!

ricardovaste

Thanks Jonas . Sorry to be so pedantic. It's just something I've become used to, so wanted to check, and the website wouldn't let me download the English manual. Now I just have to wait for them to drop in price

Jonas B

There's nothing wrong in being pedantic - I've got some unexpected surprises by not being careful. It's a very usable feature so thank you for pointing us to it!

Tariq Gibran

Jonas B wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

No problem, I'll do that for you, in a few days. Out of general interest I guess, I seem to recall you aren't interested in the camera really.

I'm interested in it but not at the current price (even though it's lower here already vs other areas). I'm probably a buyer between US $1800 - 2200 new (so probably this fall ).

Jonas B

Tariq Gibran wrote:

I'm interested in it but not at the current price (even though it's lower here already vs other areas). I'm probably a buyer between US $1800 - 2200 new (so probably this fall ).

This fall? Maybe, it's always hard to predict those things. I believe the price will drop by time but probably not much until somebody else makes a similar, and good performing, camera.

I'll take the images and post them here during the weekend. Meanwhile you can check out images of the RRS grip on the camera here. The viewfinder and the hood make the camera bigger once again of course.

1       2       3              130      
       132              190       191       end