Sony RX1 FF Mirrorless (fixed lens)
/forum/topic/1147292/128

1       2       3              128      
       130              192       193       end

wayne seltzer
Total Posts: 4146

There is also an annoying delay between when I rotate the mf ring and when I see its affect on thr screen in LV mode.
I don't have that tiny lag on my Canons.
The interlacedline thing is bad too for a flagship.

Tariq Gibran
Total Posts: 10718

wayne seltzer wrote:
There is also an annoying delay between when I rotate the mf ring and when I see its affect on thr screen in LV mode.
I don't have that tiny lag on my Canons.
The interlacedline thing is bad too for a flagship.

My little Pentax K5 does that as well. Very annoying with mf.

Yes, I thought they fixed the always on exposure preview in LV strobe issue with that firmware update. Still, the other little annoyances in LV - and I was not aware of the delay - keep me waiting on a Nikon D800S version...or maybe something from someone else as I'm not invested in Nikon mount glass at the moment.

carstenw
Total Posts: 15755

Yay!

Okay, the other way I use live view is for landscape or urban decay, in A mode. This I never found to be a problem. What exactly is it that you do which is awkward?

Muizen
Total Posts: 23

The heading states that this thread is about the Sony RX1. What are you communicating about? I assume not about the RX1?

carstenw

7 posts and already a cop. New record.

Jonas B
Total Posts: 2426

carstenw wrote:
7 posts and already a cop. New record.

Maybe he learned something up-thread?

The weather is getting better here and I get the itch, increasingly. Today I handled an RX1 in a store and it felt OK. It's a totally other kind of camera of course but it did remind me about my old Minolta CL - another small and nice camera making wonderful images.

carstenw

Yes, it feels very nice. Personally I find it too small for shooting comfort, but this is obviously very personal.

Sami Ruusunen
Total Posts: 701

I tried the camera today in shop for 15 minutes, took some shots for my card and just fiddled with the files in Lightroom, I'm impressed.

Compared to D800 I really like the ISO 800 and 1600 of the RX1 more. Another thing I like is that the WB seems to be near perfect on every shot, even on terrible mixed lighting.

The lens seems render really nicely and the silent shutter is perfect for candid shots.

Beforehand I thought the camera would be too small for my pianist fingers but it felt surprisingly good. I would pull the trigger right away without the near 4000 cost with EVF, lens hood and battery recharger.

Couple of questions for those who have used the thing:
1. How the battery lasts on very cold temperatures
2. What's the best way for releasing the shutter remotely (no I don't want that cable release)
3. Is there any way transfer JPG files directly to iphone/ipad
4. Is there any way of shooting tethered with ipad/laptop
5. Does the sweep panorama only create JPG format

Thanks in advance

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Muizen wrote:
The heading states that this thread is about the Sony RX1. What are you communicating about? I assume not about the RX1?

It is very common that long threads deviate to other topics before coming back to the main topic. This happens in many forums, and not just photography related.

Welcome to FM.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Jonas B

carstenw wrote:
Yes, it feels very nice. Personally I find it too small for shooting comfort, but this is obviously very personal.

Exactly. So I have been eying the RRS grip and L-plate combo. I think that will do it. Of course, that's another USD 200 but the price for the camera and EVF means common sense was left behind way earlier.

Tariq Gibran

Jonas B wrote:
carstenw wrote:

Exactly. So I have been eying the RRS grip and L-plate combo. I think that will do it. Of course, that's another USD 200 but the price for the camera and EVF means common sense was left behind way earlier.

...and by the time you add all that extra bulk and weight, you could of had a V8!

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Sometimes more bulk and weight are good things. Yesterday I handled for the first time a NEX 5R. After about 20 minutes I started to develop a strong dislike for it. It was just too small for me and really uncomfortable to shoot with. Some muscles in my palm actually started to ache. And this was with the small 19/2.8 and 35/1.8. I mounted the 50/1.8 OSS and things got worse as it was becoming seriously unbalanced.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

wfrank
Total Posts: 2959

Jochenb wrote:

The dynamic range of the RX1 completely destroys my 5DII. If Nikon's D600 & D800 had better liveview and the possibility to use a better focusing screen... I'd be thinking about switching. Just for the similar sensor.

Dont want to hear that. You sure it is DR and not the shadow lifting possibilities? E.g. I find highlight recovery at least as good on the 5D2 as on the NEX 5N. Albeit it is no RX1 but likely a good little proxy :-)

But perhaps it's just two different sides of the same coin.

Jochenb
Total Posts: 1798

wfrank wrote:
Jochenb wrote:

The dynamic range of the RX1 completely destroys my 5DII. If Nikon's D600 & D800 had better liveview and the possibility to use a better focusing screen... I'd be thinking about switching. Just for the similar sensor.

Dont want to hear that. You sure it is DR and not the shadow lifting possibilities? E.g. I find highlight recovery at least as good on the 5D2 as on the NEX 5N. Albeit it is no RX1 but likely a good little proxy :-)

Even without touching any sliders you notice the higher dynamic range of the RX1 files. I agree that highlight recovery on the 5DII is quite good, but it's better with the RX1 files. On top of that you can lift shadows as much as you want at low ISO, without getting any banding, strong noise or funky colors. I've been using my 5DII for years and I've always been happy with the results I get from my Zeiss glass on it. I still think it's good enough, but these RX1 files are addicting.

Jonas B

Tariq Gibran wrote:
...and by the time you add all that extra bulk and weight, you could of had a V8!

Are you trying to talk me out of it now that I'm getting used to the idea?

To me it is not as much about size and weight as it is about having a decent sensor in a LIVE camera. If they made the thing too small for everyday, or long time time, use I don't mind adding something to make it better. If needed the grip and the EVF are easy to remove and then I'll have a small but very capable camera for those "pocketable" situations.

Actually, it isn't that a stupid idea for EVF-lovers and those accepting the limits coming from having one lens only. I think we deserve a FF sensor too. It's a lot of money, in a way, but remember the EVF is tiltable and coes with a leather pouch with a magnetic lock, lol.

Jonas B

wfrank wrote:

I pretty much trust kwalsh (Ken?) on that topic
here.

Tariq Gibran

Jonas B wrote:
Tariq Gibran wrote:

Are you trying to talk me out of it now that I'm getting used to the idea?

To me it is not as much about size and weight as it is about having a decent sensor in a LIVE camera. If they made the thing too small for everyday, or long time time, use I don't mind adding something to make it better. If needed the grip and the EVF are easy to remove and then I'll have a small but very capable camera for those "pocketable" situations.

Actually, it isn't that a stupid idea for EVF-lovers and those accepting the limits coming from having one lens only. I think we deserve a FF sensor too. It's a lot of money, in a way, but remember the EVF is tiltable and coes with a leather pouch with a magnetic lock, lol.

No, I'm just trying to talk myself out of it! Decent sensor AND lens! As soon as it hits 2K, I'm a buyer.

Jochenb

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Couple of questions for those who have used the thing:
1. How the battery lasts on very cold temperatures
2. What's the best way for releasing the shutter remotely (no I don't want that cable release)
3. Is there any way transfer JPG files directly to iphone/ipad
4. Is there any way of shooting tethered with ipad/laptop
5. Does the sweep panorama only create JPG format

Thanks in advance

1) You'll need a few batteries for this camera. Battery life is very average and I don't like the fact you don't see a more detailed indication of when your battery's going to be empty. It's often full, full, full,full, half way, empty.
Luckily batteries are very cheap on ebay.

2) You can only use a cable release.

3) Maybe with one of those eye-fi wifi SD cards?

4) Not that I know.

5) Yes

Tariq Gibran wrote:
No, I'm just trying to talk myself out of it! Decent sensor AND lens! As soon as it hits 2K, I'm a buyer.

"Decent" is quite an understatement IMHO. (I know I'm not helping you much he he )

Jonas B

Sami Ruusunen wrote:
Couple of questions for those who have used the thing: (...)

It's a camera with some quirks, indeed. This one for example; fastest shutter speed at f/2 is 1/2000 sec. Why can't you turn the electronic first curtain off, is there a technical reason? And why didn't they include the IR remote control I recall my old Nex 5 and 5n having? No external charger for a camera eating batteries? No lens hood? And so on.

But, feeling the little camera in your hand and thinking about the image quality make me accept the quirks. Perhaps I'll think something else when there are other options out there.

Jochenb

I agree that they've could've at least included a charger and the lens hood for this price. I got both very cheap on ebay because of this.
1/2000 shutter speed wide open can indeed be annoying. I always have a ND filter with me. Don't know the technical reason.
I would've also prefered an electronic shutter release option so I could use a timed shutter release.
Overall these thing don't really bother me much though. For me the biggest quirk of the camera is still the AF. It's a turtle compared to something like the OM-D (but very fast compared to my 5DII with MF zeiss lenses he he)

1       2       3              128      
       130              192       193       end