I'm a newbie to FM. I'm selling nice equipment but I think people are afraid?
/forum/topic/1144993/0

billrudd
Total Posts: 5

I'm found out about FM to sell some of my equipment. I think people are afraid to buy from me since I don't have a history. I don't understand their apprehension but I need to get this equipment sold. Any suggestions? And any suggestions for me to protect myself from scammers. I've never bought or sold used equipment online. Thanks for any input.

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4494

Bill,

welcome to FM Making this post is a good thing, and further that you've filled out your profile with information that allows a prospective buyer to know who you are, where you live, what your photographic interests are: all good things, as you can see here - http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1132043/0?keyword=new,member#10807257

Each one of us was a first-timer here and speaking at least for myself I can tell you what I value most of all in B&S transactions: Communication, Communication, Communication, and, if you've not got it yet, COMMUNICATION - PM's take 30" to signal your purchaser; and, if you fall down and break both legs while en route to FedEx, for goodness' sake, have someone in your family PM the purchaser to advise them of the delay.

Be accurate in your description of the items you want to sell and take pictures of them or post a link to a site where they can be seen. Establish a fair price.

With respect to scammers - check the feedback rating. Is the guy offering to purchase from you someone who has a large # of high-dollar purchases at a price point similar to yours? How long have they been a member here? Are they here just to B&S (not a bad thing at all, BTW) or do they also contribute to the Board? Do NOT use PayPal gift, though some members here have not had any problem with it (other's however have - big time). Also, "if the buyer says "I'm purchasing this for my 3rd cousin who is now out of the country serving as the personal liasion the President of Nigeria and he has authorized me to pay your $400 in excess of blah blah blah" well, that's probably a scam, but I expect you knew that already. The tougher one to discern is the Buyer who appears to have it all together and offers you something that "is just too good to be true." I'm sure you know what to make of that

Find a Board here that reflects your photographic interests, introduce yourself as a new person, comment on the contributors' work, and don't be shy about posting your own work there. That sure helps folks know that you're who you say you are.

This is a great site. And Fred has done a remarkable job with it. There are some photographers here who are just enormously talented whom you will learn from and who will learn from you.

I'm sure some other folks will respond here shortly to help you out as well. HTH,

Tony

billrudd

Tony,

I really appreciate you taking time for me. I greatly appreciate the tips! You are another example of how helpful the photog community has been over the years. I would not have had any clue about the the Pay Pal gift issue. Also is there kind of a common percentage rate for selling used equipment? I think my asking price is fair but I may be clueless? The Qflash Trio kits I bought new for $1270.00 each so I am asking $950 each, what is your experience with pricing?
Thanks again! And thanks for your service to our country! I assume by the Semper Fi that you are a Marine?

Bill

borderlight
Total Posts: 1746

I agree with Tony, plus my response here gives me "4 in a row" in the FM Misc. Forum. Winner!

Seriously though, sometimes it's better to sell the smaller, less expensive items first to get some history behind you. I don't know what your turnaround time is to sell your equipment, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to contribute to the forum posts in a big way for now. At least you will get yourself on the board and people will notice you in a favorable light.

billrudd

borderlight,

I do have some other smaller items to sell but unfortunately I need the money from the bigger items and sooner rather than later. I also am not interested in doing a lot of buying and selling after selling my lighting and a few other items. I guess I may end up seeing if anyone seems more interested on ebay? Yet I do like the forum now that i'm on it . I also don't have a ton time to invest to build trust which is why I selling some of my equipment. I'm pastoring, work another job and have a family, not complaining just It is what it is. Thanks for your reply.

anthonysemone
Total Posts: 4494

Bill,

I don't know anything at all about the equipment you're selling in terms of its potential value on the used market. First off, I check to see what similar items have sold here on FM. I also go to www.keh.com to see what those guys were selling it for at a given quality rating; I also use the used sections of www.bhphotovideo.com and www.adorama.com. I then go over to eBay, look at the values for which the item in question has sold within the previous 30 days on that site, and then I pick a median price to list my item for. Sometimes when I want to move an item, I'll purposely price it $100 to $150 less than the going value. I always try to keep in mind that the item I'm selling is used, regardless of how pristine its condition is. Borderline has excellent advice, Bill. History here can make a major difference in terms of the speed with which you are able to sell your items.

Yes, I'm a Marine, very, very Old Corps. I served from 1957-1963, a Cold War veteran with a 13 month tour on Okinawa. I had what amounted to an 8 hour a day job, not at all like my Marine brothers who subsequently went to, and many of whom died in, Vietnam. They are the ones to whom we are all indebted IMHO. Even so, thank you for your gratitude - you have no idea how much it means to be thanked.

Binh Ly
Total Posts: 3234

I think the items you are selling are low demand so you probably just need some patience. If nobody bites within a few weeks just lower the price some and then see what happens. If you don't get any inquiries after a while, then you probably want to expand your listings to other forums (ebay, POTN, craigslist, etc). Sometimes if your items are low demand, there's just nothing you can do about it other than bring it to a wider audience like ebay. Good luck!

Wobble
Total Posts: 721

Price your gear to include Paypal and shipping to continental US. With little history, offer to ship first to established FM'ers.

NightOwl Cat
Total Posts: 7637

Another thing if you're desperate, is to get a quote from KEH for your equipment. Give them a call on Tuesday for a quote, I'm sure they're probably closed for Labor Day.

Offer to call prospective buyers and talk with them, too.

ShaneB77
Total Posts: 87

This is an amazing post.

Thanks for the tips guys.

trenchmonkey
Total Posts: 35302

Buy me a beer and I'll hit your thread, basically giving you instant creds.