Some online images are soft
/forum/topic/1144915/0

Snead
Total Posts: 306

Iíve noticed that there is a difference in the sharpness of photos displayed on line. As an example I was reading Fredís Canon 1DX review and noticed clicking on the photo produced a much sharper image than the one included in the text. Itís the same with other photos on line. Many expanded images appear much sharper than the smaller ones that donít need to be expanded. Other web sites like Flikr display all images with good sharpness.

Maybe I have problem with my computer or display card as Iíve noticed when working with images in Photoshop they are not as sharp as the same images displayed with Canonís Zoombrowser or Faststone (although it lacks color correction).

Bernie
Total Posts: 4106

Different software renders images differently especially if they are not being viewed at their native resolution. The image needs to be sampled or interpolated to be viewed, causing softening of the image. Some software will actually try to sharpen the image. And this can create sharpening artifacts.

That is one of the reasons why if your image is to be viewed at 800 x 640, you should sharpen it one last time at that specific size. Sharpening at a particular size whether for web viewing or printing should be one of the last steps after up / down rezzing the image.