Canon EOS 1D X Review by Fred Miranda
/forum/topic/1144877/0

2       3       4       end

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 17905

Canon EOS 1D X Review

Canon recently released a new flagship camera the EOS 1D X. I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to test out and review a production model of this new camera.

If you are curious about the new features or wondering if you should upgrade, you may find the answers to your questions in my review. Read about the pros and the cons and my experience using the EOS 1D X in the field.

Coupled with the 400mm and 500mm series II lenses, I had a blast pushing the limits on Canon's new equipment.

Read the Canon EOS 1D X Review

helimat
Total Posts: 3745

Nice review. Beautiful shots too.

snapsy
Total Posts: 4864

Epic review Fred. Come on, a cheetah to test AF? Fantastic.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19905

So Fred, one thing you didn't really comment on in your excellent review, was do you really think the 1D X is worth the extra $3.2K over the 5D III? It's obviously a better camera overall, but 5D III is no slouch and even bests the 1D IV AF, with better IQ and is only 10% behind the 1D IV for pixel density.

pipspeak
Total Posts: 2541

Any comments on the focus point visibility that seems to have a lot of folks annoyed?

thw2
Total Posts: 2895

Impressive camera. And even more impressive photographic skills.

JimboCin
Total Posts: 1123

A great, thorough and honest review, Fred. Thanks for all the effort that you put into this.

Tim Ashton
Total Posts: 3071

Thanks for the great review Fred
From one who can only dream,
Tim

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3876

Thank you Fred. Fine review so far. Yes, How did you manage to rent the cheetah? I did not find a "cheetahrentals.com" anywhere.

Would you be so kind and answer PPs and pipspeaks comments? I am interested in your suggestion/oppinion/experience, too.

Ralph

Pixel Perfect wrote:
So Fred, one thing you didn't really comment on in your excellent review, was do you really think the 1D X is worth the extra $3.2K over the 5D III? It's obviously a better camera overall, but 5D III is no slouch and even bests the 1D IV AF, with better IQ and is only 10% behind the 1D IV for pixel density.

pipspeak wrote:
Any comments on the focus point visibility that seems to have a lot of folks annoyed?

jcolwell
Total Posts: 21113

Thanks for the thoughtful review, Fred. Are you going to keep your 1DIV? I am. I'll sell my 1DsIII, though.

P.S. I bet I could handhold the 400/2.8L IS II + 1.4x Extender with a Cheetah charging at me, too - adrenalin is a wonderful thing!

PetKal
Total Posts: 24472

Good and thorough review, Fred, with balanced and experienced view.
There have been some 1DX reviews on the internet before, however, thankfully, yours is in a different league.

RCicala
Total Posts: 2939

That was superb!!
The shot of your daughter shooting the 500 f/4 II handheld -- well a picture is worth 1,000 words.

James Cripps
Total Posts: 315

PetKal wrote:
Good and thorough review, Fred, with balanced and experienced view.
There have been some 1DX reviews on the internet before, however, thankfully, yours is in a different league.

+1 Thank you so much for sharing all of this information and experience.

Pondria
Total Posts: 11900

Great review. Hmmm, time to upgrade....?!

samwise
Total Posts: 1020

Drool, great shots and great review

dolina
Total Posts: 3674

Fred when are you taking the 200-400L out for a spin?

John_T
Total Posts: 2844

Thank you Fred for a real photographer's review!

Unfortunately too many reviewers never make it out of the lab, approach it like trying to find life by dissecting a frog and are not satisfied until they have succeeded in meticulously killing it.

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4254

Nice review. But, no mention of the viewfinder AF point illumination issue?

ggreene
Total Posts: 2005

Beyond the obvious AF illumination issue in AI-Servo, you also have an AF tracking test using a yellow and black Cheetah against a flat field of green grass? My 1D2 could track that and it's almost 10 years old. How about going to a real track and field event with cluttered backgrounds and then track athletes. That would impressive me more.

jerrykur
Total Posts: 4254

ggreene wrote:
Beyond the obvious AF illumination issue in AI-Servo, you also have an AF tracking test using a yellow and black Cheetah against a flat field of green grass? My 1D2 could track that and it's almost 10 years old. How about going to a real track and field event with cluttered backgrounds and then track athletes. That would impressive me more.

The 1DX seemed to do a pretty good job of this at the Olympics.

2       3       4       end