To eyeglass wearers, question
/forum/topic/1142609/0



Guari
Registered: May 16, 2012
Total Posts: 1249
Country: United Kingdom

I'm sorry I knot this is very off topic but I am not a member of any eye forums

Do you guys feel your eyeglasses distort your field of view?

I got prescriptions for nearsightedness today. While I can now see very sharply, I feel my field of view is now distorted by the lenses, like if the focal plane of the glasses was out of alignment with my eyes. I am seeing keystoning and it makes me a bit tipsy, near-far relations are a bit skewed, kind of like WA distortions.

The lenses were made at a major & leading UK vision place after almost 1 hour and a half of testing...

Regular wearers gets this feeling?



Wobble
Registered: Nov 30, 2011
Total Posts: 706
Country: United States

I have worn glasses forever and when I get a new set, sometimes I feel skeptical with my new spectacles when navigating stairs, until I get used to them. Here is a link to a quick read that addresses the situation you describe:

Link

Hope this helps knowing that it will get better shortly.



Guari
Registered: May 16, 2012
Total Posts: 1249
Country: United Kingdom

Wobble wrote:
I have worn glasses forever and when I get a new set, sometimes I feel skeptical with my new spectacles when navigating stairs, until I get used to them. Here is a link to a quick read that addresses the situation you describe:

Link

Hope this helps knowing that it will get better shortly.


Yes yes, I almost ran over a lady when walking earlier today and I have that feeling one gets when looking down the edge of a very tall building.

Thank you ver much for the link. I know understand what is going on

I'm all up for it if the brain will adapt. I do not recall my vision ever being sharper than it is now with the lenses on.

Thanks!



RJKphoto
Registered: Oct 28, 2010
Total Posts: 1457
Country: United States

When I was a kid andgot my first pair og glasses, I rode my bike home after picking them up, and the ground looked 10 feet away! I had to walk my bike home I was so freaked out!



Guari
Registered: May 16, 2012
Total Posts: 1249
Country: United Kingdom

RJKphoto wrote:
When I was a kid andgot my first pair og glasses, I rode my bike home after picking them up, and the ground looked 10 feet away! I had to walk my bike home I was so freaked out!





henryp
Registered: Jun 03, 2003
Total Posts: 1780
Country: United States

Guari wrote:Do you guys feel your eyeglasses distort your field of view?

It gets better. I have the no-line bifocals after wearing single-prescription lenses for decades. Took me a year to adjust. My biggest issues were going down (not up) stairs and the tunnel-vision feeling I couldn't look at anything out of the corner of my eye. Try swiveling your whole head to center something in your field of view on a crowded NYC subway platform.

Also, my nearsightedness wasn't really too bad until recently so I often shoot with no glasses, especially if the camera's finder has built-in diopter correction. But I cannot see a single control or read one letter of the LCD panel w/out reading glasses.

I'd say it's a pain in the butt but I think my pains there come from other age-related issues. :-)

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video



RJKphoto
Registered: Oct 28, 2010
Total Posts: 1457
Country: United States

henryp wrote:
Guari wroteo you guys feel your eyeglasses distort your field of view?

It gets better. I have the no-line bifocals after wearing single-prescription lenses for decades. Took me a year to adjust. My biggest issues were going down (not up) stairs and the tunnel-vision feeling I couldn't look at anything out of the corner of my eye. Try swiveling your whole head to center something in your field of view on a crowded NYC subway platform.

Also, my nearsightedness wasn't really too bad until recently so I often shoot with no glasses, especially if the camera's finder has built-in diopter correction. But I cannot see a single control or read one letter of the LCD panel w/out reading glasses.

I'd say it's a pain in the butt but I think my pains there come from other age-related issues. :-)

Henry Posner
henryp@bhphoto.com
B&H Photo-Video


It's good to know I'm not alone! I still try to lift my head to see things up close, even when the glasses are off!



NightOwl Cat
Registered: Feb 19, 2007
Total Posts: 7177
Country: United States

It definitely gets better. Try escalators with new glasses.. WHOA! Have had glasses for 45 years now, bifocals for the last 4



Guari
Registered: May 16, 2012
Total Posts: 1249
Country: United Kingdom

Good to know guys and thanks for sharing, I'm slightly bonding with my glasses, step by step



Theconejo
Registered: Aug 08, 2012
Total Posts: 18
Country: United States

Not only is new glasses syndrome alarming, any time I switch from glasses to contacts, especially if it's been a while, I get similar issues.

I feel very disheartened when I have to use viewfinders and I don't have contacts in. Although that hasn't happened in many years because of lcd's.



Glenn Kendall
Registered: Apr 17, 2006
Total Posts: 106
Country: United States

At the risk of going OT on this, perhaps, OT thread, in reading this discussion I got to thinking about Henry's comment about shooting w/o glasses but being unable to read the LCD and other controls w/o glasses. That's my situation also. It occurred to me that having a monocle handy might be a solution for that. So I just ordered a +3 monocle to experiment with. So, Guari, your question sparked a discussion that spaked a thought that might be a solution to a problem. Thanks!



Kenj8246
Registered: Feb 14, 2008
Total Posts: 11812
Country: United States

As has been mentioned, it gets better with time. Been 'four-eyed' for a while now but STILL do not wear my glasses when shooting. Just can't seem to get the hang of that.

Kenny



samuellucas
Registered: Nov 14, 2012
Total Posts: 1
Country: United States

Try to check if the prescribed lenses still your actual eye lenses needs.

Cheers,
Samuel