Best Quality Backdrops
/forum/topic/1140146/0

joesmosax
Total Posts: 643

I've been shooting headshots on white and gray paper for the past two years. I also have a few westcott collapsible backdrops(I think called storm clouds) the type you often see in corporate headshots. It's fine but generic.

I'm looking to change things up- but it's very hard to find good backdrops. I've ordered a few other westcotts and haven't been happy with them. I'm looking for something classy and high end looking which avoids a cheapy 'studio' look. Ideally they could be collapsable(my studio is pretty small).

Thanks!

BrianO
Total Posts: 8551

You can find a huge range of styles and prices at Denny Manufacturing, a large and well-established company.

http://www.dennymfg.com/

joesmosax
Total Posts: 643

Brian,

Thanks, will check it out. If anyone has a really stunning backdrop- would love to see samples.

Best,

Joe

aztwang1
Total Posts: 452

Heres some samples I have in studio...These are all from Denny's

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pik9fd3xx7beyj4/8nsH_9sJRF/Back-grounds

kdphotography
Total Posts: 1254

One of my favorite suppliers is www.backgroundsbymaheu.com

studioone
Total Posts: 89

I have always stuck with www.aurabackdrops.com
They are the best prices I have seen on good quality backdrops.

What kind of backdrops are you looking for?

RDKirk
Total Posts: 8976

My hero uses Maheu, but Maheu ain't cheap.

vivekool
Total Posts: 1

Are you looking for collapsible ? You can take a look at www.backdropsource.com or you can Google and find plenty of websites.

Good luck!

RDKirk
Total Posts: 8976

studioone wrote:

Do those have the niceties of rod pockets, hemmed edges, and grommets? I kind of liked the Sedona pattern.

studioone
Total Posts: 89

All of the ones I have purchased have rod pockets and hemmed edges, but only some of them come with grommets.

I am the purchaser for a group of studios, we order a lot of backdrops and aurabackdrops the best I've found, especially for the price.

John Skinner
Total Posts: 725

As I have posted from time to time on this forum, I am a huge fan and user of LastoLite products. In particular, the LastoLite HiLite.

And here's why.

You have a 6 X 7 collapsible background in a bag. All white that can shoot flawless HiKey shots, and is dark gray on the reverse side.

If gelled light is introduced, you can change up the color with pretty neat results (although you can do this post in Ps as well)

They offer what is called "Bottle Tops" for the unit, which allows you to drape any of their solid colors over top so it becomes a stand-a-lone fold-able carry with you background. Or, you can make your own 'bottle top' units as I have done here with Denny cloth.

And, as if that was not enough, ANY company such as DENNY or any of the other magic cloth type fabrics will hang on this without frames or stands wth just 3 squares of velcro. Set-up is just 60 seconds, and tear down is about 120 seconds. Mind you... all in a bag.

I can even use this as one huge 6' X 7' softbox ! It's like one huge window where I don't have one.

Given the versatility, and the amount of cash this ONE piece of kit has generated here, I can say it's been one of the best investments of cash I've made since 1978.

henryp
Total Posts: 1879

IMO Denny is the Honda Accord of backdrops and Maheu is the BMW. Both are extremely reliable and produce a fine quality product. Whether Maheu is right for you depends on your budget and in part on how well you'll treat them. If you're moving from location to location every week, I think Denny should be more than adequate. I've used both. YMMV

My personal opinion.
Henry

ratedkg
Total Posts: 3

RDKirk wrote:
studioone wrote:

Do those have the niceties of rod pockets, hemmed edges, and grommets? I kind of liked the Sedona pattern.

Thanks for the link. I recently bought from this site (http://www.aurabackdrops.com/america-extra-wide-scenic-background-20x10-p-491.html), a good one to add to my collection.

irish-george
Total Posts: 537

Studio Dynamics is the best available IMHO, followed by Denny Mfg. Calumet is pretty good, too.