1DX review by Andy Rouse
/forum/topic/1134441/0

2       end

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4442

I wish I could personally do the review but I can't afford this cam .

http://www.andyrouse.co.uk/index.php?link=blog

Papathanassiou
Total Posts: 320

If ever there was a man up his own backside it's him! Met him once shooting in to the sky with his EV - 2/3rds. Good job he had a Canon technician with him to do the testing.

Papa.

molson
Total Posts: 10654

Papathanassiou wrote:
If ever there was a man up his own backside it's him! Met him once shooting in to the sky with his EV - 2/3rds. Good job he had a Canon technician with him to do the testing.

Papa.

Let's see how your pics compare to his, then...

Bones74
Total Posts: 967

Papathanassiou wrote:

Papa.

... and how many awards for outstanding photography have you won? just asking...

I met Andy last year and more recently at FOI this year and he's a really nice guy. Maybe a little over confident It wont come as a surprise that a friend of mine who knows Andy described him as you did

kewlcanon

Careful molson, Papathanassiou's nickname is The Butcher (from his profile) .

molson wrote:
Papathanassiou wrote:

Papa.

Philip Mc
Total Posts: 113

I can't say I have any real opinion on him personally, however his body of work and experience speaks for itself. I get the impression he would have been more than happy to proclaim to the world any issues he felt the 1Dx had but he didn't find anything to give out about.......

Papathanassiou
Total Posts: 320

molson wrote:
Papathanassiou wrote:

Papa.

That is seriously very funny, Can't stop laughing honestly.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12046

If there is anything that surprises me more than his glowing review of the Canon 1D X is that his Nikon D4 failed him.

Schlotkins
Total Posts: 2065

Thanks for the link. Considering the guy would likely have a bias for Nikon, I thought that was a very positive review for the 1Dx. I do wish they would make a crop (either 1.3 or 1.6) version of this camera.

Chris

kaycephoto
Total Posts: 932

another glowing 1DX review.. brb, gonna go bash my head against the wall now......

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19878

Schlotkins wrote:
Thanks for the link. Considering the guy would likely have a bias for Nikon, I thought that was a very positive review for the 1Dx. I do wish they would make a crop (either 1.3 or 1.6) version of this camera.

Chris

I'd be happier than a pig in shit if they released cropper version.

uz2work
Total Posts: 11683

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Schlotkins wrote:

Chris

Likewise. There is much about the 1DX that appeals to me. But, of all the camera upgrades that I've made in the past 10 years, the two that have made the most positive impact for the type of shooting I do most have been the upgrades to the 1D Mark IV and 7D that I'm now using. As someone who is often shooting in focal length-limited situations, the increases in pixel density over the cameras that they each replaced have allowed me the cropping flexibility that I've always wanted. Further, they often allow me to use a bare lens instead of having to use a 1.4x, which gives me the opportunity to use faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISOs and which results in better image quality. And that pixel density allows me to use my 400 DO in situations where I would otherwise have to use a much larger, heavier, and less mobile lens.

Had Canon either decided to make the 1DX with a 1.3 crop sensor or had they decided to make it with a full frame sensor and 25 megapixels, even if doing so resulted in marginally lower high ISO performance or a slightly slower frame rate, I'm confident that I would have been drooling for the opportunity to get my hands on one of them as soon as I could have. As it is, I won't take a step back with regard to the pixel density that I value for the type of shooting I do, and I don't want to have to compensate for that lower pixel density by having to use bigger and longer lenses. Thus, the 1DX will be the first 1D action-oriented camera in a decade that I won't be buying. Instead, I'll look forward to the time 5 or 6 years down the road when I'll be buying a 25 megapixel 1DX Mark III (or 1DXII or whatever it will be called) that will give me improvements over the 1D Mark IV in some areas without requiring me to take a step backward in others.

Les

Paul B
Total Posts: 737

uz2work wrote:
Pixel Perfect wrote:
Schlotkins wrote:

Chris

Likewise. There is much about the 1DX that appeals to me. But, of all the camera upgrades that I've made in the past 10 years, the two that have made the most positive impact for the type of shooting I do most have been the upgrades to the 1D Mark IV and 7D that I'm now using. As someone who is often shooting in focal length-limited situations, the increases in pixel density over the cameras that they each replaced have allowed me the cropping flexibility that I've always wanted. Further, they often allow me to use a bare lens instead of having to use a 1.4x, which gives me the opportunity to use faster shutter speeds and/or lower ISOs and which results in better image quality. And that pixel density allows me to use my 400 DO in situations where I would otherwise have to use a much larger, heavier, and less mobile lens.

Had Canon either decided to make the 1DX with a 1.3 crop sensor or had they decided to make it with a full frame sensor and 25 megapixels, even if doing so resulted in marginally lower high ISO performance or a slightly slower frame rate, I'm confident that I would have been drooling for the opportunity to get my hands on one of them as soon as I could have. As it is, I won't take a step back with regard to the pixel density that I value for the type of shooting I do, and I don't want to have to compensate for that lower pixel density by having to use bigger and longer lenses. Thus, the 1DX will be the first 1D action-oriented camera in a decade that I won't be buying. Instead, I'll look forward to the time 5 or 6 years down the road when I'll be buying a 25 megapixel 1DX Mark III (or 1DXII or whatever it will be called) that will give me improvements over the 1D Mark IV in some areas without requiring me to take a step backward in others.

Les

Given that Nikon already has fullframe bodies at 25 and 36 Megapixels (albeit fewer frames per second), it's hard to imagine what technical reasons Canon would have for not producing a 25 Megapixel version much sooner than 5-6 years. And it would be marketing suicide to wait that long. Maybe there is hope yet for wildlife photogs.

ragebot
Total Posts: 1187

I was not sure about going FF with the 1dx after using the 1d2 and 1d4 and loving the 1.3 crop body. What convinced me to bite the bullet was reviews like this one about improvements in AF and AE.

While I am still playing around and learning I have to say even with a FF sensor the 1dx is a real beast. Bottom line for me is I will get more keepers even if I have to crop a little. Count me as a happy camper with my 1dx.

khurram1
Total Posts: 3899

I'm stoked to read this review - I pickup my camera tomorrow!

kewlcanon

Since you're in Canada, you could do the same experiment with beavers .

khurram1 wrote:
I'm stoked to read this review - I pickup my camera tomorrow!

skibum5
Total Posts: 16349

Generally seemed like quite a good review, although I don't know what on Earth he meant when he said that Canon shooters couldn't wait to swap to Nikon in the early days to get much better noise performance. He did he ever compare a 5D IQ to a D2x,D200,D70,etc.? Even the 20D had at least as good SNR as any of that and much better high ISO DR than Nikon which had awful DR at high ISO in the early days.

But other than that minor thing, good review.

lhryshko
Total Posts: 938

kewlcanon wrote:

Yep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y09YOkVmGg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpj1zgyfScM

RobDickinson
Total Posts: 3458

"In my opinion Nikon have always had the best noise performance from their sensors "

Oh bollox did they. Yes the D3 an D3s are good but before that?

kewlcanon

... so molson is a Canadian beer brand eh ? .

lhryshko wrote:
kewlcanon wrote:

Yep!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y09YOkVmGg0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpj1zgyfScM

2       end