Photographers Forum Magazine- Who has actualy seen there Best of Photography coffee table book?
/forum/topic/1134381/0

headlines
Total Posts: 154

I entered an online contest and received the attached letter

They want me to order this book for $55 since it will have my photo in it.

I have checked their website and it shows past photo winners but no real pictures on what this book looks like. I do not know if this is a true coffee table book, or just a note book size book with many photos per page.

I think this is cool if it is legit, I am just not sure if this is just a scam to perpetuate income, is the value for the money worth it ?

Has anyone seen this book or purchased it in the past?

I would appreciate everyone's thoughts on this

headlines

One thing i find interesting is they mention that the book will have advertisements in it. Do coffee table books have ads in them typically ?

gardenvalley
Total Posts: 783

It`s a scam to sell overpriced books. Run away now.

You may also find that you have given them copyright of your photo forever.

Bernie
Total Posts: 4145

Although this may be a money raising event, it does appear they have a magazine as well as corporate advertisers of note.

Photographers are given attribution and hold copyrights on their web page...

http://pfmagazine.com/

headlines

I think i will order the book if i can figure out the true size I have sent them an email I will see if i get a response

borderlight
Total Posts: 1746

The "best of" photography year books are standard fare. It's legit, and $55 is basically what the book costs. You help support the selection process, graphic design, the printing and distribution. It also means that you can credit yourself for the inclusion of your work in a prominent photography book. "The Black Book" was another way offered to the best commercial photographers to show their work. The big difference there was that the photographer paid his share of the costs to make the book. It was really just a beautifully done self-ad. In the film days the Black Book prices ranged around $2500+ per page. The book would then be distributed nationally and free of charge to art directors, ad agencies, graphic designers, etc. That process has been mostly replaced by equally stunning photo websites.

headlines

Sent these guys money months ago for the "Table top book" and still got NOTHING

sorpa
Total Posts: 319

Yep, it`s legit.
A few years back I won something in one of their contests, sent $55 and got the book with me picture in it.

headlines

sorpa how long did it take to get the book ??

Jeffrey
Total Posts: 9865

sorpa wrote:
Yep, it`s legit.
A few years back I won something in one of their contests, sent $55 and got the book with me picture in it.

If you had to pay $55, what exactly did you win?

sorpa
Total Posts: 319

I don`t remember how long did it take. Couple of months!! It happened 4 years ago.
I paid $55 to have the book. I didn`t win any material prize.
Here is a link to the picture

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sorinpapuc/2378762592/in/photostream

borderlight
Total Posts: 1746

It usually takes between 3-6 months. They will start the process after the deadline entry period ends. From there they have to assemble it, print & distribute it. The design has probably already been established. You'll probably get it when you least expect it, but you will get it.