1Dx versus D4
/forum/topic/1133870/0

2       end

WebDog
Total Posts: 1343

Interesting to read and watch...
http://xerodigital.ca/blog/ (fixed link)

Seems like a close call

LivLif
Total Posts: 1928

Great review! I can't believe the Canon is 3 times faster on AF speed.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 12154

LivLif wrote:

Well, you are selling your D4, are you not ? Just kidding....

That the AF of the 1DX is 3X faster is indeed hard to believe although it seems to be that way under that particular shooting condition. In addition, I have to say that the AF of the 70-200mm Mark II lens is superfast. I never used the Nikon counterpart before. For all we know, a part of the reason that they came to that conclusion is partly attributed to the difference in AF speed of the respective lenses.

big country
Total Posts: 3716

I will say that the 500 ii + 1.4x iii seems to focus faster on the 1dx than any other camera that i've tried it on, including 1d iv, 5d iii and 7d.

Ralph Conway
Total Posts: 3933

Thank you for this link, webdog.

Ralph

kaycephoto
Total Posts: 1094

great review! thanks to Matt & Jamieson for taking the time to do the comparison..

was just about to post this til i saw it'd already been posted =)

DownEaster
Total Posts: 78

Interesting for sure. Sounds like Canon has indeed done well with this one. Still out of my price range though!

Sven Jeppesen
Total Posts: 2298

Thanks for the link to the review

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4650

Nice review. That faster AF would be reason enough for me to switch cameras. It's a HUGE advantage at events such as weddings.

LivLif
Total Posts: 1928

AGeoJO wrote:
LivLif wrote:

Well, you are selling your D4, are you not ? Just kidding....

That the AF of the 1DX is 3X faster is indeed hard to believe although it seems to be that way under that particular shooting condition. In addition, I have to say that the AF of the 70-200mm Mark II lens is superfast. I never used the Nikon counterpart before. For all we know, a part of the reason that they came to that conclusion is partly attributed to the difference in AF speed of the respective lenses.

Maybe I'll get a 1DX.

dshipley
Total Posts: 175

I'm getting a 403 Forbidden Error.

wuchang
Total Posts: 161

dshipley wrote:
I'm getting a 403 Forbidden Error.

+1

Monito
Total Posts: 10110

403 forbidden on all three links.

skibum5
Total Posts: 16898

link worked fine for me yesterday, now it's gone 403

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4493

It's up now.

SoundHound
Total Posts: 5325

As I read it the AF test was from one focus extreme distance to another. A tough test the Canon won. But not the way I use my camera. I am more concerned with the buffer capacity.

pipspeak
Total Posts: 2543

the 1Dx certainly seems impressive, but I cry a little when tests like these highlight Canon's poor shadow recovery on its latest models

Imagine if Canon had the same on-chip processing on the 5D and 1Dx as Nikon and could match the D4's clean shadows? But alas, every camera by every manufacturer seems to have one or two "if only" aspects to it

Will Patterson
Total Posts: 4650

I've been shooting digital for 8 years now and still don't understand why people worry so much about shadow noise. Expose it properly and it's a non-issue.

Bruce Sawle
Total Posts: 4174

The focus settings you dial in to the Nikon will play a huge part on how fast the camera reacts. One shot has never been speedy compared to continuous and even continous can be effected by other settings such as focus lock on duration. Overall my experience has always been that canon locks on faster Nikon always tracked better. Seems to me Canon may now have the edge overall in focusing.

skibum5
Total Posts: 16898

Will Patterson wrote:
I've been shooting digital for 8 years now and still don't understand why people worry so much about shadow noise. Expose it properly and it's a non-issue.

Because if the scene has a fair amount of DR you are in trouble with a correct exposure. You think everyone goes around not exposing properly on purpose and then complaining? (that said, even for mistakes, who wouldn't want to be able to rescue them)

2       end