EOS-M - Canon mirroless system
/forum/topic/1133322/0

2       3              18       19       end

Sr.Cordeiro
Total Posts: 219

Hello,

I've just saw this on blogs, not much details on specs, but it seems it will have a new "EF-M" mount. The lens is interesting and observing it's focal lenght I would guess the sensor is APS-C (22mm * 1.6 = 35,2mm).

There's not a view from the back of the camera, so it's not certain that it will have a electronic VF, but judging the size of the camera I would say there's not any kind of VF.

It seems Canon is following the same steps of Olympus and Panasonic with their first PENs and GFs, let's see how this evolve.

rsrsrs
Total Posts: 745

my first thought was, hey what a small glas diameter.
so i would guess its smaller than APS-C.
but who knows ...
r-?

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

If I would have to take a guess, the camera would probably route a lot of its controls through a touchscreen like the one on the Canon 650/4Ti DSLR. I think it's probably going to use an APS-C sensor though it's just speculation right now until the announcement.

Sr.Cordeiro

If it's a APS-C I hope canon doesn't make the same mistake as Sony with their ridiculous looking big glass on a small body.

There's also the possibility of a G1X sized sensor, 22 * 1.85 = 40,7mm, it's a interesting FL too. Now I'm thinking if this could would open the possibility using mFT lenses with a chipped adaptor with this system.

Makten
Total Posts: 4035

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Now I'm thinking if this could would open the possibility using mFT lenses with a chipped adaptor with this system.

Why not use a MFT camera instead?

Sr.Cordeiro

Makten: If this camera has specs that differentiate it from any mFT offering people may prefer this camera body and use the already robust mFT lens collection.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

My initial gut feeling is disappointment. Too small and with too few buttons.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Sr.Cordeiro

I know what you mean Yakim, It's like we've all seen this camera before with all the PEN and GF iterations.

I'm more interested on seeing where this system will evolve and if Canon will be capable to think out-of-the-box with this.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

I would give it time. I think most of the mirrorless camera systems had some initial disappointment at first. I do like the fact that it seems that have a smallish fast prime on the system. I'm interested to see though if the autofocus system is fast. There are rumors that this camera is supposed to employ some type of hybrid pdaf/cdaf focus system similar to the one on the Canon 650D/4Ti.

AhamB
Total Posts: 4861

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
Makten: If this camera has specs that differentiate it from any mFT offering people may prefer this camera body and use the already robust mFT lens collection.

No aperture control, no AF, no stabilization with MFT lenses... I wouldn't expect to see an electronic MFT to EOS-M adapter soon.

Got to agree with Yakim about this camera: I don't even see a mode dial. Nevertheless it could be interesting. Most interesting to see will be if it produces as nice colors and incredible DR (endless shadow lifting) as the NEX.

timballic
Total Posts: 699

Yeah, where's all the dials?!
I DO hope this doesn't turn out to be an auto everything and menu-only set-up camera system!

goosemang
Total Posts: 1476

Sr.Cordeiro wrote:
if Canon will be capable to think out-of-the-box with this.

this is the problem. canon releases another camera equivalent of the toyota corolla..... surprise, surprise.

think i'll shoot with my x100 today instead of my 5d. :P

douglasf13
Total Posts: 5751

My guess is, judging by the lens focal length and size, that this will have the G1X sized sensor.

Edit** Actually, the sensor looks like a 3:2 ratio, so maybe it is aps-c. Here are more pics:

ken.vs.ryu
Total Posts: 3342

oops

that's a smaller diameter lens than the sony nex using the filter size.

nex lenses are 49mm vs 43mm.

my guess: g1x sensor size.

goosemang

is it me, or does it look like the ring around the shutter button can be rotated?

then there's that button on the rear top right

rotate the ring to change shutter speed, hold down the button in the rear and rotate the ring to change aperture? or vice versa?

goosemang

and to start we'll have the equivalent of a 35mm f/2 and a 64mm f/2.8 (the pancake)?

timballic
Total Posts: 699

"then there's that button on the rear top right"
That'll be the video button no doubt.

Mescalamba
Total Posts: 2930

Its Canon APS-C .. 22 x 1.6 = 35 and my guess its going to have 18 mpix.

Wont win any beauty contest but so far it actually seems pretty ok. Guessed it will be much worse. Tho no EVF = not good/really bad.

mirkoc
Total Posts: 612

Information from my local shop says that Canon is announcing mirrorless on Monday.

joychris
Total Posts: 192

Meh. The EM5 is so good, the IQ and DR is as good as Canon's APS-c sensor, and it has the killer 5-axis IBIS, I'll stick with the OMD and the Nex5n. If Canon wasn't so hell-bent on protecting other segments this could have been a camera that really shakes things up. This is definitely a shot at the Nex5n/Nikon1. Where is the Nex7/EM5 killer? Oh wait - can't have something cannibalizing T4i sales. Yawn. It won't land with the thud the Xpro1 did, because Canon is everywhere and when this is released it'll be sold in thousands of stores. You would think Canon would see the response to the N7 and EM5 and shoot a little higher, but nothing Canon does makes sense anymore.

2       3              18       19       end