Canon EOS M - Canon mirror less leaked images
/forum/topic/1133311/0

2       3              17       18       end

ndirienzo
Total Posts: 844

http://www.gizmodo.jp/2012/07/post_10627.html

Off Gizmodo Japan. Haven't read it that closely, but figure you all would want to see.

The original source is here, which claims that it was the image provided to a camera shop:
http://digicame-info.com/2012/07/-eos-mef-m-22mm-f2-stm.html

Here's a link to a hands-on video. Only problem is it's in Italian, but it's easy enough to figure out the specs and features based on the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyhM2x9gT8&feature=player_embedded
_____

Mod: Fixed image broken link. Also, check out discussions on the Alternative board.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1133322

tived
Total Posts: 1007

looks cute,
looking at the top right of the lens, the little white dot, could indicate the lens mounting orientation.... as in there will be more lenses coming

clarkia
Total Posts: 28

On the surface, looks like they're going straight up against Nikon's J (or whatever it's called) series. Clean, minimal, boxy - retaining an S100 look.

The focal length is getting me @ 22mm. Working backwards, is that supposed to be a 35mm equiv? If so, then that sensor is bigger than (APS-Cish) than i thought they'd include. Or it going to be 45-50ishmm equiv like a M4/3 sensor size?

Regardless, nice to see Canon enter the game. I was hoping secretly that we'd have something to compare to the Fuji X pro but that may be in a few years from now. Like toys from Apple and other giants, I want version V, not version 1....

Should be an interesting show this fall for new models.

ndirienzo
Total Posts: 844

Yea, I'm waiting until the official specs come out, but if it's that size then I'm interested. I'm looking for something that fits under the seat of my motorcycle (Triumph Speed Triple). I can't tell you how many times I'm riding and wish I had my 5Dii with me. I think this will be a nice compromise.

dolina
Total Posts: 3628

Now, I do not feel bad not buying any MILC system. At minimum I hope they are using the same sensor as the 7D.

borisb
Total Posts: 14

It has been reported on CanonRumors that this will have an APS-C sensor, so yes this is a 35mm equivalent. It will most likely be very similar to the T4i and feature the new phase-detect AF pixels on the sensor.

EDIT: 43mm filter thread?? This thing is tiny!!

Stunnaz
Total Posts: 1192

The only thing I care about is if I can get auto-focus with my EF lenses.

If yes, then I buy. If no, then nope.

Actually, based on that picture it looks as if it'll be impossible to fit an EF on it... but maybe with an adapter? So that means definitely no auto-focus eh?

Dudewithoutape
Total Posts: 1089

Stunnaz wrote:

Actually, based on that picture it looks as if it'll be impossible to fit an EF on it... but maybe with an adapter? So that means definitely no auto-focus eh?

There are adapters or adapter-like devices that still allow autofocus. Contax 645-> Contax N. Any and all teleconverters. I'm sure I'm missing others as well.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

Stunnaz, most likely Canon will offer an adapter for it that allows autofocus. Nikon and Sony did something similar for their mirrorless cameras.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

Yes, it looks cute but I was hoping for something less in the lines of the V1 and more in the lines of the XP1.

Probably it has the 650D sensor. 22mm is 35mm in FF terms if so.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

jonrock
Total Posts: 444

Yakim, I think a lot of people were hoping for something less like the Nikon 1 series in terms of design. If I have to take a guess, the new system probably uses a lot of its controls through a touchscreen like on the Canon 650D/T4i.

Yakim Peled
Total Posts: 16903

jonrock wrote:
Yakim, I think a lot of people were hoping for something less like the Nikon 1 series in terms of design. If I have to take a guess, the new system probably uses a lot of its controls through a touchscreen like on the Canon 650D/T4i.

Very likely but personally, I prefer physical buttons.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Gochugogi
Total Posts: 9633

Stunnaz wrote:

I can't imagine mounting even a moderately sized EF lens on a camera this small: only enough grip for a couple fingers and composing at arms length with a 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 would be a PITA. You'd want to stick to tiny primes and zooms.

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19800

Well for style I'll give it 5/10.

I wonder how many EF-M lenses they have ready to go. They can't be like Sony if they want to be taken seriously. Follow Fuji's lead.

goosemang
Total Posts: 1578

:/

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11679

Stunnaz wrote:

Why would an adapter mean no AF?

Think about it,
1. the register distance will be less than EF ( otherwise you end up with the Pentax offering which is very thick ) So an EF/EFs lens will need something to mount it further away from the sensor.

2. The EF system is fully electronic. a TC or extension tube is Basicly like an adapter and they AF .

But you may not get full or great AF with most current lenses.
The hybrid system in the new rebel (which this will likely use .) apparently works best with the new STM drive lenses .tthat 22 will be STM and that's what the system will be designed around

Daan B
Total Posts: 7591

wow... a Canon mirrorless. Not really. Looks like somebody did some Photoshopping here.

dolina
Total Posts: 3628

EF & EF-S will have AF. In the same way as NEX mount and Alpha mount lenses have AF on Sony bodies.

howard
Total Posts: 499

Daan B wrote:
wow... a Canon mirrorless. Not really. Looks like somebody did some Photoshopping here.

Really. It looks real to me.

matejphoto
Total Posts: 231

Gochugogi wrote:
Stunnaz wrote:

I can't imagine mounting even a moderately sized EF lens on a camera this small: only enough grip for a couple fingers and composing at arms length with a 24-70 2.8 or 70-200 2.8 would be a PITA. You'd want to stick to tiny primes and zooms.

Agreed! BUT, it can work great as a companion for a 5D and bigger cameras. For example I went to Greece for our honeymoon in 2009 and I had 5Dm2 and Leica D-lux4. It was a nice combo, but if my 5Dm2 would have failed I would be stuck with just a compact camera.
With this EOS-M I would have a sweet compact and a last-resort backup to my DSLR as well.

2       3              17       18       end