High ISO still life 5D3 vs. 1DX
/forum/topic/1129607/1

3       4       end

stanj
Total Posts: 9679

mohamed alfari wrote:
Thanks Stan and Benny for your contribution. The difference is clear but not by much, however at 25k it might be worth it seeing a full image?

Download and look for yourself

Ralph, until Stan answer your question I will give a real life example that I wished for 1DX. I was on boat to feed eagles some fish and let me tell you that despite 5D3 have good buffer it really fills fast with a lot of action everywhere around the boat. which wasn't the case with 1DIV. Some where my mistake for not managing the buffer limit, but there were a lot of birds and action that I missed the peak action. after that I was planning to get 1DX but felt that these situation isn't my everyday photography like that sports or birds photographer. Still I dream of getting one but with that price its not an easy decision to make.

Here I must fundamentally disagree with you. Get a Lexar 1000x card, plug it into the 5D3, and squeeze the trigger. It will go off at 6fps for about three seconds, and then will keep going at 4fps FOREVER. The 1D4 will not do the first three seconds without a break, and it certainly won't keep going at 4fps forever. I tried. I really wanted it to do it. But it stood no chance. I suck at buffer management myself, so this was the first test I did with the 5D3, and it was very impressive.

Schlotkins
Total Posts: 2008

Thanks Stan! It does look like the 1dx is about half a stop better from 1600 -12800. It looks like quite the camera.

Thanks
Chris

DmitriM
Total Posts: 1949

IF you notice, 1Dx files are softer -that's because it seems like noise is being softened in-camera. I have a feeling, if you use Neat Image or Portraiture on 5DIII files it will look the same.

jstntym
Total Posts: 233

Thank you Stan. Myself being the amateur I'm getting a very unbiased look at what some of the capabilities of these cameras performance actually are like. I've really no doubt that some time down the road I will pick up the 1D X or whatever 1 series body is out at that time. My decision the keep the 5D MkIII and get a better tripod and a new lens is the better choice for me, at least more rational anyways, and truthfully I'm not used to making those type decisions most of the time. At least with the 5d MkIII, I have much to explore and a lot of room to grow. I can already see an improvement in exposures in small ways just from some of the tips and advice given here. Thanks for helping! Regards, Will

skibum5
Total Posts: 16179

mohamed alfari wrote:
I was on boat to feed eagles some fish and let me tell you that despite 5D3 have good buffer it really fills fast with a lot of action everywhere around the boat. which wasn't the case with 1DIV. Some where my mistake for not managing the buffer limit, but there were a lot of birds and action that I missed the peak action. after that I was planning to get 1DX but felt that these situation isn't my everyday photography like that sports or birds photographer. Still I dream of getting one but with that price its not an easy decision to make.

Buy a Lexar 1000x 32GB card. seriously, for the 5D3,it makes a huge difference for buffer management, noticeably better than even using a Sandisk Extrem Pro 90MB/s card.

kaycephoto
Total Posts: 917

DmitriM wrote:
IF you notice, 1Dx files are softer -that's because it seems like noise is being softened in-camera

+1

mttran
Total Posts: 6643

Stan, thanks you for all the test data. Enjoy your new cameras

AaronNegro
Total Posts: 1334

Thank you Stanj for the data provided, I'm watching this in my iPad and the 1DX seems to have very little advantaje, whenever I can I will try to bring the 1dx file to the 22 MP of the 5D3 and see how it fares and viceversa, bringing the 5D3 file to 18MP and see what happens.

Very happy with my 5D3 so far. It opened a wave of options I did not have in my old 5D

Beni
Total Posts: 8303

First of all many thanks for the files. Is it just me or is the 'facial tones' of the gnome a lot better on the 1Dx compared to the 5D3? Like the 1Ds3 vs 5DII before it.

rabbitmountain
Total Posts: 940

Well after comparing in Lightroom 4.1 the 1Dx shows a clear advantage. Much more so than in the crops. I'd say it's more one stop than half a stop, but it's subjective.

What struck me more is that while browsing through the images, even on my 30 inch monitor, ISO 12800 was the first image where the noise became apparent. Up to 6400 my attention was drawn to the subjects so these cameras are extremely useful at 6400 and 12800.

Thanks again for sharing.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11979

Late to the party.... Thanks for supplying the files, Stan. I know that the camera will be put to good use in your hands. Enjoy your new gear!

Pixel Perfect
Total Posts: 19792

rabbitmountain wrote:
Well after comparing in Lightroom 4.1 the 1Dx shows a clear advantage. Much more so than in the crops. I'd say it's more one stop than half a stop, but it's subjective.

What struck me more is that while browsing through the images, even on my 30 monitor, ISO 12800 was the first image where the noise became apparent. Up to 6400 my attention was drawn to the subjects so these cameras are extremely useful at 6400 and 12800.

Thanks again for sharing.

Either upscale the 1DX to 22MP or downscale the 5D III to 18MP for a fair comparison. Either one would knock around 1/4 stop off the 1D X's advantage. I would say 2/3-3/4 stop better, which is still wonderful result as 5D III is already very good at high ISO.

garyvot
Total Posts: 3092

snapsy wrote:
FYI, Adobe ACR appears to be adjusting the exposure of 5D3 images up by about 1/3 stop when I compare the 1DX vs 5DM3 raws, when both are using the Adobe Standard profile. I've seen this same behavior on the D3s vs the D800. So to produce comparable images the raws need to be processed using ACR's Camera Neutral profile (which mimics Canon's Neutral DPP profile). Without this normalization the 1DX will have an unfair advantage over the 5D3 when comparing the images side-by-side.

It's quite interesting how different ACR is rendering the files from the two cameras when using certain Adobe cloned Canon profiles. 'Camera Standard' for instance causes the 5D3 file to be more saturated and applies a contrastier tone curve.

I took a look at all the images in DPP and the color, contrast, and exposure rendering was near identical, as you would expect.

However, I *stongly* dislike Canon's new default sharpening approach, which creates visible halos and edge artifacts and generally makes the images look really artificial.

So if using DPP to evaluate images, you may want to switch everything back to the legacy sharpening algorithm. (Unfortunately, there is no way to make this an application default.)

rabbitmountain
Total Posts: 940

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your thoughts. If you struggle with this question after getting the 1Dx, and based on your description, I have a feeling that you would probably be served extremely well by a gripped 5D3. It balances well on your big whites, it has the silent shutter, more pixels for better landscapes. After reading more of your posts it becomes apparent that the 1Dx has advantage in handling, fps, noise and metering, but to me not convincing to spend 7k. I think that if I had unlimited funds, I would get both. Given that I don't, I'll just get a 5D3 as soon as my limited funds permit...

Now about that silent shutter. I posted several questions about it and never got a clear answer at to whether the 1Dx can be as silent as the 5D3. So the 1Dx has a silent mode, but based on your findings, is it correct that the 1Dx is less silent than the 5D3, single frame mode?

Ralph.

stanj

rabbitmountain wrote:
Now about that silent shutter. I posted several questions about it and never got a clear answer at to whether the 1Dx can be as silent as the 5D3. So the 1Dx has a silent mode, but based on your findings, is it correct that the 1Dx is less silent than the 5D3, single frame mode?

By far. The 5D3 is much much quieter, both single frame and sequence (something the 1DX can't do at all).

Taoguy
Total Posts: 873

Hi Stan,

I shoot with both Nikon & Canon. Canon wins hands down with the TS-E 17mm as Nikon has none. I use the 5DMKII and very happy with it. I think many a negative word regarding the 5DMKII was unwarranted. Focusing was not a problem with any of my Shift/tilt lens. I prefer the LV of the 5DMKII over my D800E or D3x.

Think I'd see much difference on a 16x24 or 24x36 print?

Gerard

stanj

Taoguy wrote:
Think I'd see much difference on a 16x24 or 24x36 print?

Between what? Sorry, I didn't follow, you mentioned too many things, and I got lost.

Taoguy
Total Posts: 873

Between prints from the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII?

stanj

Taoguy wrote:
Between prints from the 5DMKII and 5DMKIII?

No way.

stanj

rabbitmountain wrote:
Thanks for your thoughts. If you struggle with this question after getting the 1Dx, and based on your description, I have a feeling that you would probably be served extremely well by a gripped 5D3. It balances well on your big whites, it has the silent shutter, more pixels for better landscapes. After reading more of your posts it becomes apparent that the 1Dx has advantage in handling, fps, noise and metering, but to me not convincing to spend 7k. I think that if I had unlimited funds, I would get both. Given that I don't, I'll just get a 5D3 as soon as my limited funds permit...

Well, I don't have unlimited funds but I did get both, and will keep both. I still want a small body (no grip) and one that can give me the decisive advantage, whether I need it or not is debatable After shooting some 500 frames of action shots today, stuff similar to what I've been shooting with the 5D3 so far, I will tell you that the 1DX is bette (shocking ) So far, the 5D3 was towering above the 1Ds3 when it came to keeper rate with action shots, and even above the 1D4. Well, the 1DX is even better. And the metering is exquisite. I don't think it blew a shot yet, which is quite amazing to me.

Loving it.

3       4       end