#509 Fortified
/forum/topic/1128794/0

2       end

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3772

I went out to Fort Pickens this afternoon, I like old forts, and went with the weeks assignment in mind. Walking through the hallways and dark rooms of the old fort, you could almost hear the sounds of war echoing through the halls. I chose this spot for the many paths you could take from one place, but also the light diffusing into the darkness where I stood to take the image. I had to go handheld, as I left the tripod back at the house where we are staying, and it was a long drive back...so I tested out the high ISO on the 7D, very happy with it.

Anyway, on to the image. Good luck to all this week.

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1427

Very nice, Travis; I like the near/dark-far/bright progression, and the way the "path" splits in four directions...
good location selection, too...I sometimes miss the 10-22, but it went away with my XSI...
Good Work, here...
Jerry

Travis Rhoads

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Very nice, Travis; I like the near/dark-far/bright progression, and the way the "path" splits in four directions...
good location selection, too...I sometimes miss the 10-22, but it went away with my XSI...
Good Work, here...
Jerry

Thanks for stopping in and for the kind words Jerry. Those elements you mention were what made me think this spot would be a nice fit for the theme...of the 60+ images I shot at the pier today..this was the only one that worked for me.

I can't be without my 10-22, I will always have a crop body to be able to use it.

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3151

Can just imagine walking and hearing your footsteps echo there. Thanks for sharing Travis , well done.

Norm

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

Great shot Travis. The depth in the photo really makes the shot special. Can't help but thinking about taking the road less traveled.

Travis Rhoads

Hightraxx wrote:
Can just imagine walking and hearing your footsteps echo there. Thanks for sharing Travis , well done.

Norm

Thanks Norm, yes it was cool to hear your footsteps in the halls of that very old Fort.

Travis Rhoads

twistedlim wrote:
Great shot Travis. The depth in the photo really makes the shot special. Can't help but thinking about taking the road less traveled.

Thanks Rich. Gotta love that 10-22 for good depth at wider apertures. When in these places, I can't help but think about all those who went before me through those halls. This Fort was originally built in 1834.

happyfamily
Total Posts: 212

Nice shot, felt a little scary inside there.

Travis Rhoads

happyfamily wrote:
Nice shot, felt a little scary inside there.

thanks...yes, parts of it were a little creepy...but not many.

robert829
Total Posts: 535

Very nice shot travis!once again nice conversionoh man theres no way im walking alone on that place

Travis Rhoads

robert829 wrote:
Very nice shot travis!once again nice conversionoh man theres no way im walking alone on that place

Thanks Robert glad you like it. It was not too scary in the Fort, just a little eery!

Tom Harpstead
Total Posts: 941

Travis, what a wonderful photograph.

Thomas

Travis Rhoads

Tom Harpstead wrote:
Travis, what a wonderful photograph.

Thomas

Thanks Tom.

relms
Total Posts: 2065

Travis, your photograph has inspired me to make the short drive over to Fort Pickens one day soon, but perhaps after the summer heat has dissipated. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Robert

hopes2
Total Posts: 807

Travis,

The mortar lines lead the way and their converging effect draws you in to the various passageways.
High quality stuff!

Dan

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6558

Sweet shot Travis!

Travis Rhoads

relms wrote:
Travis, your photograph has inspired me to make the short drive over to Fort Pickens one day soon, but perhaps after the summer heat has dissipated. I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Robert

I hope you have less humidity when you go, I could not keep the front of my lens from fogging up inside the fort, I had to wipe it dry, shoot a frame and repeat. Vacation was good, unfortunately it came to and end...

Travis Rhoads

hopes2 wrote:
Travis,

The mortar lines lead the way and their converging effect draws you in to the various passageways.
High quality stuff!

Dan

Thanks Dan, thanks for taking the time to study the image. Glad it works for you.

Travis Rhoads

gregfountain wrote:
Sweet shot Travis!

Thanks Greg.

RustyBug
Total Posts: 12884

Diggin' the texture ... gives "mood" to being on that particular path.

2       end