#508 The Sixties
/forum/topic/1128033/0



relms
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 2068
Country: United States

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going direct the other way." Charles Dickens might well have had some insight into what was to come a century after he wrote those words. Ah, the Sixties... a time of exploration, experimentation, segregation, demonstration and hallucination. It was a time when we waged war, and demonstrated for peace. A time when we loved freely, and hated strongly. It was a time of fast cars, and drive-in movies; long hair and short skirts. But more than anything else, it was a time of musical magic, producing songs that refuse to step aside for the latest fad, standing the test of time and spanning generations... songs such as those on Atlantic Records' Super Hits Vol. 4.



Oregon Gal
Registered: Nov 02, 2008
Total Posts: 2038
Country: United States

Robert, I remember those musicians and listened to their music quite often. It brings back good memories, well done.



svassh
Registered: Mar 05, 2011
Total Posts: 664
Country: United States

Nice lighting and love the added smoke, brings back another 60's memory.



Strad
Registered: Aug 20, 2004
Total Posts: 9618
Country: United States

It's certainly one of your signature brilliant shots, Robert. The light is perfect as is the composition. But, I don't get the significance of the smoke and the old record album. I was too busy with my own music practice and performances during the 60s to have heard any of the music you mention so it's quite possible I missed the tie-in.

Fond regards,

Endre



relms
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 2068
Country: United States

Oregon Gal wrote:
Robert, I remember those musicians and listened to their music quite often. It brings back good memories, well done.

Thank you!



relms
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 2068
Country: United States

svassh wrote:
Nice lighting and love the added smoke, brings back another 60's memory.

I understand.



relms
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 2068
Country: United States

Strad wrote:
It's certainly one of your signature brilliant shots, Robert. The light is perfect as is the composition. But, I don't get the significance of the smoke and the old record album. I was too busy with my own music practice and performances during the 60s to have heard any of the music you mention so it's quite possible I missed the tie-in.

Fond regards,

Endre


Now, Endre, you are kidding, right? The assignment theme is Music. The old record album was released in the Sixties, arguably the most prolific decade for music in the last century. The smoke? Well, the smoke could be from a cigarette, because almost everyone smoked during the Sixties, or it could be from burning incense, also popular during the Sixties, but more than likely it was from neither. I am told that music took on an entirely different level of quality and intensity when accompanied by a little weed. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have been told.



Travis Rhoads
Registered: Apr 28, 2009
Total Posts: 3827
Country: United States

I love it, and I got the smoke reference, despite not having been around in the 60's. Music can always be amplified...just depends on how you chose to do it! Great image, I think the smoke is captured very nicely with great depth to it.

Robert, I am down in your neck of the woods this week, we have passed through Santa Rosa the last two nights on our way to dinner.



relms
Registered: Jan 28, 2005
Total Posts: 2068
Country: United States

Yeah, Travis, that is what my friends were doing back in the Sixties; they were amplifying the music. No electricity needed.

Enjoy your time at the beach, and thanks for commenting.

Robert



Strad
Registered: Aug 20, 2004
Total Posts: 9618
Country: United States

No, Robert, I wasn't kidding. Throughout the 60s I was either practicing (4 to 5 hours a day) or going to school. There certainly wasn't any time to listen to whatever popular music was being produced nor, honestly, did I have much interest in same. Now that you explain it, I understand, but that is only because I heard about such things much later. Thanks for the clarification.

Fond regards,

Endre

relms wrote:
Strad wrote:
It's certainly one of your signature brilliant shots, Robert. The light is perfect as is the composition. But, I don't get the significance of the smoke and the old record album. I was too busy with my own music practice and performances during the 60s to have heard any of the music you mention so it's quite possible I missed the tie-in.

Fond regards,

Endre


Now, Endre, you are kidding, right? The assignment theme is Music. The old record album was released in the Sixties, arguably the most prolific decade for music in the last century. The smoke? Well, the smoke could be from a cigarette, because almost everyone smoked during the Sixties, or it could be from burning incense, also popular during the Sixties, but more than likely it was from neither. I am told that music took on an entirely different level of quality and intensity when accompanied by a little weed. I don't know for sure, but that is what I have been told.