OM-D & PEN Images
/forum/topic/1127925/178

1       2       3              178      
       180              263       264       end

owyhee
Total Posts: 443

CalW,
Great macro images. Did you use a tripod or were they hand held?
Thanks,
Aaron

CalW
Total Posts: 2019

Thank you, Aaron. All were taken handheld with the camera in manual focus mode, moving the camera to achieve focus. This is the same technique I used with the Canon gear, but it is easier with the OM-D. Probably most important is that the gear is so much lighter and easier to handle, but the Olympus IBIS certainly helps also, as does the greater depth of field with m43. And I always use fill flash, which helps to freeze motion.

I experimented with tripods and macro adjustment plates for macro work, but found that for me, hand held was much more successful. Most of my subjects will not stay in place long enough to use a tripod.

The quality of the Olympus 60mm f/2.8 lens on the OM-D rivals or exceeds even the Canon 180mm f/3.5 on a 1D, which I had considered to be the ultimate macro tool. Thinking back, though, the Canon really was quite an ungainly beast to handle.

juju1958
Total Posts: 663

DougVaughn wrote:
Had to look this up, but it's a katydid. Found it making crazy amounts of noise on our porch last night. Shot with OM-D and 60mm macro at f/5. I'm impressed with the quality as it gets close to what my Canon 100mm can produce. I still need to figure out the manual focus as I find it very difficult and annoying for now.

Doug a superb shot good clarity and colours as lovely. I found my canon FF and 100mm a bit disappointing with macro never really getting to terms with it , finding the smaller APSC sensors improved things as does the m4/3 sensor help with depth field issues.
Not being one to stack focus images this is obviously important.
Good post I can see where the 60mm macro excels, although talent is also the biggest part.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10315

Some more from my egret friend. Brought out my Canon FD 50-300mm f/4.5L this morning just after sunrise and caught him fishing. Unfortunately on the last one, he was quite far away, so it's a rather hefty crop, but still decent.

Stalking fish:

Success!

mawz
Total Posts: 7500

The Curve by Mawz, on Flickr
The usual E-M5 + m.Zuiko 12-50

mco_970
Total Posts: 5281

If anyone is shooting OMD + 12-35, could you please share a raw file with me, preferably something with lots of detail (landscape)? Or can anyone point me to an online place to find such a beast?

Thanks!
Michelle

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7418

Michelle - I don't own the Panasonic 12-35 lens but I am anxiously looking forward to the Olympus version which will be announced in a month's time. I would advise that you wait for that, as supposedly the Olympus version is better.

mco_970 wrote:
If anyone is shooting OMD + 12-35, could you please share a raw file with me, preferably something with lots of detail (landscape)? Or can anyone point me to an online place to find such a beast?

Thanks!
Michelle

Jman13

bobbytan wrote:
Michelle - I don't own the Panasonic 12-35 lens but I am anxiously looking forward to the Olympus version which will be announced in a month's time. I would advise that you wait for that, as supposedly the Olympus version is better.

Really, the rumored lens is better? And we know this how? Heck, we don't even know what the focal length of the f/2.8 standard zoom from Olympus will be, let alone what its optical characteristics are.

As to the 12-35 on the OM-D, it performs well, but it's not super awesome for landscape use. It'll do fine, but it has some field curvature that renders the edges a bit soft at infinity.

Mark_EL
Total Posts: 108

Jman13 wrote:
bobbytan wrote:

Really, the rumored lens is better? And we know this how? Heck, we don't even know what the focal length of the f/2.8 standard zoom from Olympus will be, let alone what its optical characteristics are.

I agree on this. But then again, if I were in the market for a such a lens I would also wait until the Olympus is released and decide then...

Some macro-pics, taken while on vacation in Austria, with my OM-D + 60mm macro ( a combo I really love by the way!)

(I like the bokeh on this first one :-) )

jcolwell
Total Posts: 20199

DougVaughn wrote:
...Shot with the OM-D and Olympus 60mm macro at f/5.0 and remote flash. I'm pretty impressed with this lens which isn't far behind my Canon 100mm in quality. I do need to figure out the manual focusing as it seems way more difficult than it should be.

Exellent photo!

As far as manual focusing goes, when you get to high magnification, you're often better off moving the whole lens/camera combo, rather than only using the lens focus helicoid. That's why I often use a "focus rail" for macro shooting. Of course, you probably already know this.

juju1958

mawz wrote:

The Curve by Mawz, on Flickr
The usual E-M5 + m.Zuiko 12-50

Mawz the colours are great, like this image a lot.

juju1958

75mm f1.8 @ f5.6

St. Anthony by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

St. Anthony by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr

mawz

Thanks Julian

mawz

The Hunt by Mawz, on Flickr
E-M5, m.Zuiko 40-150

I'm rather pleasantly impressed by the 40-150. It's got the look that the 12-50 sadly lacks.

mco_970
Total Posts: 5281

That is really nice, Mawz!! Two thumbs up.

dukenukem
Total Posts: 291

Sagres por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr
OM-D . M.Zuiko 9-18 . 1/1250s . f/4.0 . ISO 200 . 9 mm

Jman13

My daughter's first day of Kindergarten. E-M5 with 75/1.8:

leo11877
Total Posts: 302

Jman13 wrote:
My daughter's first day of Kindergarten. E-M5 with 75/1.8:

Fantastic portraits. I could have sworn I saw a similar face in the Fuji forum

bobbytan
Total Posts: 7418

Well, that was what 43 Rumors had reported, more than once. You are supposed to take it with a grain of salt. If you don't think they have an ounce of credibility you don't have to believe it. All I am suggesting, to anyone who is considering the Panasonic 12-35 lens, is to wait for a month when the Olympus 12-35 lens is supposed to be announced. Again, this is coming from 43 Rumors and you can reject that piece of information if you choose to. We know that the Panasonic 12-35 is a good but not incredible lens. If anyone can better that lens it would be Olympus, as they have a long history of making excellent optics.

Jman13 wrote:
bobbytan wrote:

As to the 12-35 on the OM-D, it performs well, but it's not super awesome for landscape use. It'll do fine, but it has some field curvature that renders the edges a bit soft at infinity.

Jman13

leo11877 wrote:
Fantastic portraits. I could have sworn I saw a similar face in the Fuji forum

Thanks. Yeah, I did double duty this morning with the E-M5 in one hand and the X-M1 in the other.

1       2       3              178      
       180              263       264       end