OM-D & PEN Images
/forum/topic/1127925/177

1       2       3              177      
178
       179              262       263       end

owyhee
Registered: May 10, 2008
Total Posts: 443
Country: United States

On Friday I picked up the 60 mm macro at my local camera store. They had it for the discount price of $399. I am concerned that my version of the 60mm is faulty. It is my understanding that when in 1:1 mode you have to be in manual focus mode. When I put the camera into manual focus at 1:1 all I get is highly contrast screen on the LCD and no matter how much I turn the focus nothing happens. No focus. In all other setting the lens is great. Very high IQ and great focus. The only way I can focus in 1:1 is to move the camera back-in-fort until I get focus and then jam down on the shutter release. Is my version of the 60mm macro faulty or am I doing something wrong?

Any advise would be helpful. I have to be able to put the camera and lens on a tripod and be able to either auto focus or manual focus.

Thanks,
Aaron



skamaraju
Registered: Jan 04, 2004
Total Posts: 126
Country: United States

juju1958 wrote:
skamaraju wrote:
I always lose the sharpness of the eye when I resize it to post. Can anybody help me in the processing of such images where eye facets are clearly visible instead of getting smudged?


I am far from an expert.
As for the eye of the fly? Do you use noise reduction at all. If so when ticking the "remove jpeg artefacts" can cause smudging big time, if there none to control.
Just one thought of many possibilities.
I think it best if you explained what your process is to get a web size, that is a good starting point.


I crop the image taken by my 12-50mm to 1000 pixels on long side. Tried 'absolute sharpening for web' script or photoshop sharpening tools to sharpen, still loose the detail in the eye which is there in the original image at 100% view. No noise reduction either in the camera or during processing.
Can you please let me know your workflow to web size? Thank you.



jdbuddy
Registered: Aug 16, 2013
Total Posts: 5
Country: United States

New to the site and OMD.


Sigma 19mm f/7.1 1/160 iso-200
http://www.flickr.com/photos/81231322@N07/9545022360/



juju1958
Registered: Apr 27, 2009
Total Posts: 662
Country: United Kingdom

skamaraju wrote:
juju1958 wrote:
skamaraju wrote:
I always lose the sharpness of the eye when I resize it to post. Can anybody help me in the processing of such images where eye facets are clearly visible instead of getting smudged?


I am far from an expert.
As for the eye of the fly? Do you use noise reduction at all. If so when ticking the "remove jpeg artefacts" can cause smudging big time, if there none to control.
Just one thought of many possibilities.
I think it best if you explained what your process is to get a web size, that is a good starting point.


I crop the image taken by my 12-50mm to 1000 pixels on long side. Tried 'absolute sharpening for web' script or photoshop sharpening tools to sharpen, still loose the detail in the eye which is there in the original image at 100% view. No noise reduction either in the camera or during processing.
Can you please let me know your workflow to web size? Thank you.


I am not sure if what youre doing is a problem if you are seeing a decent image on your screen? the problem therefore may well be comming from where it reside prior to posting a link here? Images posted here are ok, other web forums do have a big problem with the posted images not representational of the original.


I'll give it a go on the basics. I'll say again i am not an expert and have found what I do from trial and error. I do treat every image differently as depending on content the actions always need to be different. From Raw file in a converter, either Photo Ninja or Cs6, then convert to Tiff @ 300dpi. 16 bitt
Working on the image I sharpen if needed at full size, but only slightly. never "unsharp" as it is crude compared to "smart sharpen", I resize in Cs6 via - Image - Image size - resample box ticked - keep restraints- I then change the dpi to whatever 96 or 72 and fill in the pixel dimentions, 1200 long end. - make sure the bottom box is bicubic sharper ( best for reduction) When the image is resized I'll then smart sharpen again but locally rather than overall. Again the settings are determined by the content. I'll then save for web and again the box is opened on "bicubic sharper".
There are many folk who get much better web images than I do, I dont know if they would divulge there process or not. I am also willing to know more if anyone has some good tips.



juju1958
Registered: Apr 27, 2009
Total Posts: 662
Country: United Kingdom

owyhee wrote:
On Friday I picked up the 60 mm macro at my local camera store. They had it for the discount price of $399. I am concerned that my version of the 60mm is faulty. It is my understanding that when in 1:1 mode you have to be in manual focus mode. When I put the camera into manual focus at 1:1 all I get is highly contrast screen on the LCD and no matter how much I turn the focus nothing happens. No focus. In all other setting the lens is great. Very high IQ and great focus. The only way I can focus in 1:1 is to move the camera back-in-fort until I get focus and then jam down on the shutter release. Is my version of the 60mm macro faulty or am I doing something wrong?

Any advise would be helpful. I have to be able to put the camera and lens on a tripod and be able to either auto focus or manual focus.

Thanks,
Aaron


Not having the 60mm macro I cannot comment. What you have explained makes me think, if the 1:1 is manual only I may as well stick with my manual set up with the canon macro I have.



mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 7496
Country: Canada

Note that if you want 1:1 you need manual focus with any macro lens and the back & forth method of finding focus is the only possible one. Focusing, especially at macro distances, changes the magnification on any lens. Most people just live with the changes in magnification to gain the convenience of AF. IIRC with the 60's 1:1 mode it's just presetting to 1:1 magnification, it should also do 1:1 if you hit minimum focus in any other mode.


The Tree by Mawz, on Flickr
OM-D, m.Zuiko 12-50



Jman13
Registered: May 02, 2005
Total Posts: 10311
Country: United States

E-M5 with Oly 75-300mm. This lens can be frustrating at 300mm, as AF accuracy breaks down a bit, and for some reason IS doesn't work very well with this lens (but works great with my FD 50-300mm at 300mm), and you need pretty high shutter speeds to get decent shots. When it hits, it's very sharp, but getting those hits can be tough in dimmer light...I'm thinking I should monopod this lens for a lot of this longer stuff. Anyway, this is at 300mm wide open:







serhan_
Registered: May 08, 2006
Total Posts: 389
Country: United States

I had more problems with 75-300mm when I used the ep series. OMD IBIS and grip helped me. At 300mm, the camera selects 1/250sec min to change to higher iso. On EP series I had to change to S and select the shutter speed but then that might end up sometimes too low when I moved from shade to sun. I didn't have that problem with Canon 100-400mm but then that was a very heavy setup that my shutter/mirror vibration didn't affect much.













Jman13 wrote:
E-M5 with Oly 75-300mm. This lens can be frustrating at 300mm, as AF accuracy breaks down a bit, and for some reason IS doesn't work very well with this lens (but works great with my FD 50-300mm at 300mm), and you need pretty high shutter speeds to get decent shots. When it hits, it's very sharp, but getting those hits can be tough in dimmer light...I'm thinking I should monopod this lens for a lot of this longer stuff. Anyway, this is at 300mm wide open:



juju1958
Registered: Apr 27, 2009
Total Posts: 662
Country: United Kingdom

Jman13 wrote:
E-M5 with Oly 75-300mm. This lens can be frustrating at 300mm, as AF accuracy breaks down a bit, and for some reason IS doesn't work very well with this lens (but works great with my FD 50-300mm at 300mm), and you need pretty high shutter speeds to get decent shots. When it hits, it's very sharp, but getting those hits can be tough in dimmer light...I'm thinking I should monopod this lens for a lot of this longer stuff. Anyway, this is at 300mm wide open:


Again interesting. the EF 400mm f5.6 works beautifully with the E-M5. I was quite shocked at how well, but indeed I do rest an elbow . The frustration comes in the depth of field and getting the manual focussing spot on, which is a challenge but worth while.


EF 400mm f5.6 @ f5.6


BIRD by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7418
Country: United States

As long as we are posting some bird photos ... this one was taken with the 100-300 @300 and f5.6.



jojomon11
Registered: Sep 06, 2008
Total Posts: 7221
Country: United States

jdbuddy wrote:
New to the site and OMD.


Sigma 19mm f/7.1 1/160 iso-200


Very nice Jason! Welcome to the boards, please post more Sir

Phil



DavidWEGS
Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Total Posts: 3795
Country: United States

A few more...



FlyPenFly
Registered: Feb 14, 2011
Total Posts: 6388
Country: United States

I like the composition on number 2 dave.



mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 7496
Country: Canada


The Flag by Mawz, on Flickr
E-M5, m.Zuiko 12-50



dukenukem
Registered: Oct 04, 2012
Total Posts: 290
Country: Spain


Sin Temor por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr
OM-D . M.Zuiko 12-20 . 1/40s . f/5.6 . ISO 200 . 16 mm



mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 7496
Country: Canada

A little different from your usual stuff, but that image is just superb dukenukem.



DavidWEGS
Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Total Posts: 3795
Country: United States

Thanks.
FlyPenFly wrote:
I like the composition on number 2 dave.


I have to say, that ethereal mood in this lane shot is great.



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7418
Country: United States

I agree. The exposure, content, composition and placement of the figure is almost perfect. Well done!


mawz wrote:
A little different from your usual stuff, but that image is just superb dukenukem.



CalW
Registered: Mar 26, 2005
Total Posts: 2019
Country: United States

The Red Velvet Spider Mite is a tiny arachnid, not much larger than the head of a common pin (legs included.) It is found under moist mulch on forest floors (if you get your face close with good eyesight, they appear as tiny mobile red specs.) This photograph was taken with an OM-D E-M5 and an Olympus 60mm Macro lens at 1:1 with a Canon 250D magnifier and an FL-600R flash with a Lumiquest softbox. (This is approximately a 1/4 crop of the original frame.) While still not of microscope detail, it does show the "velvet" texture a bit better than I was able to capture with the various Canon macro gear I previously owned.

The Caterpillar Face and Tiny Flower were taken with the same gear, but if I recall correctly, not with 1:1 magnification.



DougVaughn
Registered: May 31, 2010
Total Posts: 213
Country: United States

Had to look this up, but it's a katydid. Found it making crazy amounts of noise on our porch last night. Shot with OM-D and 60mm macro at f/5. I'm impressed with the quality as it gets close to what my Canon 100mm can produce. I still need to figure out the manual focus as I find it very difficult and annoying for now.



1       2       3              177      
178
       179              262       263       end