OM-D & PEN Images
/forum/topic/1127925/168

1       2       3              168      
169
       170              250       251       end

juju1958
Registered: Apr 27, 2009
Total Posts: 602
Country: United Kingdom

12-50mm



LANDSCAPE by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr



LANDSCAPE by JuliandeCourcy, on Flickr



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

Some of you will be able to recognize this place/city.



ultrapix
Registered: Feb 03, 2010
Total Posts: 642
Country: Italy

Florence



owyhee
Registered: May 10, 2008
Total Posts: 429
Country: United States

Sunrise at Redfish Lake
12-50mm with 10 stop ND. Is the 9-18mm noticeably sharper than the 12-50mm?



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

Yes!

ultrapix wrote:
Florence



juju1958
Registered: Apr 27, 2009
Total Posts: 602
Country: United Kingdom

owyhee wrote:
Sunrise at Redfish Lake
12-50mm with 10 stop ND. Is the 9-18mm noticeably sharper than the 12-50mm?



Gorgeous shot.



leo11877
Registered: Aug 05, 2004
Total Posts: 288
Country: United States

owyhee wrote:
Sunrise at Redfish Lake
12-50mm with 10 stop ND. Is the 9-18mm noticeably sharper than the 12-50mm?

EX Shot. I am thinking of getting into the OM-D system. Is 12-50mm worth the price? How sharp is it as a walkaround lens and how are the colors?



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

leo11877 wrote:
I am thinking of getting into the OM-D system. Is 12-50mm worth the price? How sharp is it as a walkaround lens and how are the colors?


It's an OK lens with respectable macro capability. Good value for the price.

http://www.photozone.de/m43/827-olympus1250f3563ez

http://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/08/olympus12-50/

http://admiringlight.com/blog/quick-test-olympus-60mm-macro-vs-olympus-12-50mm-kit-zoom/

With good technique you can get very good images, as monk3y1101 has demonstrated here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1127925/166#11700489



owyhee
Registered: May 10, 2008
Total Posts: 429
Country: United States

As bobby stated the 12-50mm is an ok lens. Very versatile and sharp enough at the right apertures. I think center sharpness is best at f5.6. A good lens during the day on on a tripod but not so good in low light. To get a better zoom lens in this range you would have to buy the Panasonic 12-35mm at 3 times the cost of the 12-50mm. It all depends on what you want out of your images.



mawz
Registered: Sep 11, 2005
Total Posts: 7287
Country: Canada

owyhee wrote:
As bobby stated the 12-50mm is an ok lens. Very versatile and sharp enough at the right apertures. I think center sharpness is best at f5.6. A good lens during the day on on a tripod but not so good in low light. To get a better zoom lens in this range you would have to buy the Panasonic 12-35mm at 3 times the cost of the 12-50mm. It all depends on what you want out of your images.


It's good but not outstanding at normal working distances. It's actually best when shooting in macro mode. Not the best lens in the system, but when working with its strengths (range, sealing & close-range shooting) it's rather good. Note the original Panasonic 14-45 OIS and 14-42 X OIS Powerzoom are both optically better than the 12-50 for non-macro shooting.

That said, I really wish it could approach the performance of the 4/3rds Olympus 14-54's which cost around the same.

If you shoot on a tripod, getting a 14-54 and an MMF-3 will allow you to maintain full weather sealing and give you a faster, optically superior package at a reasonable cost and without too much of a size penalty (the 14-54 on a MMF-3 is similar in size to the Panny 35-100/2.8)



DavidWEGS
Registered: Apr 15, 2004
Total Posts: 3793
Country: United States

I find it to be satisfactory as a walk around lens. Build quality is decent, though not pro, IQ is decent though again, not top shelf exactly… except under certain conditions. Images are better than most kit lenses IMO, but the edges suffer a bit. The macro is a surprise that boosts its usefulness, but only if you will use it.

7/10 or 7.5/10 from me.



CarlG
Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Total Posts: 6282
Country: United States

Oly 60 macro and EM-5



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

Awesome Carl! Where do you stand and what are your thoughts of the OM-D?

CarlG wrote:
Oly 60 macro and EM-5



CarlG
Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Total Posts: 6282
Country: United States

Bobby,

Thanks! I came from a full frame Canon system (5D2 and host of lenses) and sold that off in favor of the OM-D. Since working with it and a few lenses, I have not looked back and am happy with that decision. The 60 macro and 75 f/1.8 are two of my best lenses with the 75 rivaling anything I've ever owned in the Canon lens system. The images, straight out of camera (I shoot in raw mode only), are amazing.

There are (obviously) weak points about the OM-D system (well documented elsewhere) but not show-stoppers for what I shoot - portraits and landscapes.



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

That's good to hear ... as I am in agreement with you, totally. I have said before that the 75/1.8 is better than the Canon 85/1.2L II which I used to love, but it suffers from front and back focussing issues which prevented me from using it wide open for portraits and head shots, so what good is that over the inexpensive 85/1.8 version? The 75 is sharp wide open, and bokeh or blur quality is amazing and every bit as good as the 135L. There is certainly a lot of room for improvement on the OM-D body/sensor and I can't wait to see how much better it will be over the E-P5 which is already better than the E-M5. And I am looking forward to some new lenses from Olympus, to Panasonic's 42.5/1.2 and 150/2.8 lenses, and the new Schneider lenses. Good times ahead!

CarlG wrote:
Bobby,

Thanks! I came from a full frame Canon system (5D2 and host of lenses) and sold that off in favor of the OM-D. Since working with it and a few lenses, I have not looked back and am happy with that decision. The 60 macro and 75 f/1.8 are two of my best lenses with the 75 rivaling anything I've ever owned in the Canon lens system. The images, straight out of camera (I shoot in raw mode only), are amazing.

There are (obviously) weak points about the OM-D system (well documented elsewhere) but not show-stoppers for what I shoot - portraits and landscapes.



dukenukem
Registered: Oct 04, 2012
Total Posts: 243
Country: Spain


¿Estoy Guapo Así? por _dUkEnUkEm_, en Flickr
Pananasonic 100-300 . 1/320s . f/5.6 . ISO 200 . 300 mm



CarlG
Registered: Mar 12, 2002
Total Posts: 6282
Country: United States

Yes Bobby, it's the lenses that I wish Olympus would improve on. Granted, there are some really stellar primes (and I have a few), but where I feel they are really lacking is on the wide-angle side, both primes and zooms. I'd go for the 7-14 but the show-stopper for me is the natural inability (ie, no "rigged" apparatus) to accept filters. I shoot a ton of landscapes too and use ND filters as part of my kit.



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

Their 9-18 zoom is quite good but not stellar. I am looking forward to their version of 12-35 and 35-100 zooms which I do think will be better than the Panasonic versions. And it would be terrific to see MFT versions of their legendary 4/3 SWD lenses.

CarlG wrote:
Yes Bobby, it's the lenses that I wish Olympus would improve on. Granted, there are some really stellar primes (and I have a few), but where I feel they are really lacking is on the wide-angle side, both primes and zooms. I'd go for the 7-14 but the show-stopper for me is the natural inability (ie, no "rigged" apparatus) to accept filters. I shoot a ton of landscapes too and use ND filters as part of my kit.



bobbytan
Registered: Feb 03, 2004
Total Posts: 7305
Country: United States

Great capture, Duke!

dukenukem wrote:

Pananasonic 100-300 . 1/320s . f/5.6 . ISO 200 . 300 mm



leo11877
Registered: Aug 05, 2004
Total Posts: 288
Country: United States

Thanks all for the input on the 12-50mm. I think I will pass (atleast as a walkaround lens).

Would the Oly 14-150mm a good walk around lens?



1       2       3              168      
169
       170              250       251       end