#505 A King and His Lady
/forum/topic/1122145/0

2       end

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3881

When I saw this weeks theme...i had one idea, but as the weekend approached, we became socked in by terrible weather...and as has been a theme lately I keep at least some of my gear and a tripod in my car at all times now...today at work, I checked the weather report and a small break between storm systems was approaching...I ditched work and hopped in the car and headed for my subject...got to one of only a few vantage points that would not draw as much attention...it is all private property...and fired off a few shots. A couple minutes after I got my final image, the rain came back, and the clouds returned...

So, here it is, A King and His Lady, well known on the North Atlanta skyline, known as the King & Queen Buildings. I have gotten into more architectural work lately, and this one proved I need to add a good 10 Stop ND to the bag. Thanks for looking, good luck to everyone this week.

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1524

Very nice, Travis; I recognize the buildings, but never knew of the (very appropriate) nicknames...you went well beyond the building/reflections theme with this one. I like the strange movement patterns in the storm clouds. I believe you're right about the ND filter - you'd have gotten intersecting bands in several directions, right?
Good Work.
Jerry

Travis Rhoads

Jerry, I just needed more ND, this was done with a 2 stop stacked on an 6 stop. To get to 30 seconds I had to unwillingly got really small on aperture. Not ideal. These images work really well at 120 seconds plus...

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3157

Very nice, like the ND effect that you got.

Norm

Travis Rhoads

Hightraxx wrote:
Very nice, like the ND effect that you got.

Norm

Thanks for the nice comment Norm.

Klaus Priebe
Total Posts: 9864

Travis,
Very nice and love the BW here. The motion of the clouds works well here too. A 10 stop ND filter is wonderful to use on these types of shots.

normsmith
Total Posts: 4038

Travis,

Your preparedness paid off big time! Well done.
Norm

TheBart
Total Posts: 70

I love this shot. Great sky btw Is king closer?

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6657

Nicely done Travis. If I read it correctly, you did a fine job sans the ND filter!

Greg

Travis Rhoads

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Travis,
Very nice and love the BW here. The motion of the clouds works well here too. A 10 stop ND filter is wonderful to use on these types of shots.

Thanks Klaus. Working with motion in the clouds is new for me...it is much more challenging than motion in water or race cars...it will take some practice, hopefully with a 10 stop soon...it is on my B&H wish list...Fathers Day is this weekend!

Travis Rhoads

normsmith wrote:
Travis,

Your preparedness paid off big time! Well done.
Norm

Thanks Norm. When I first started shooting again in 2006, I kept the camera with me all the time, I let that habit go for a while...going to keep it with me more now. I have paired my gear down quite a bit, most of it fits in one bag now.

Travis Rhoads

TheBart wrote:
I love this shot. Great sky btw Is king closer?

Thanks Adam. The sky was so tricky, thinner clouds don't show up as much, and there was only a 10 minute window of blue sky...not much time to learn new techniques! Yes, The King is closer in frame, the crown on the top of the King is all right angles at the top.

Travis Rhoads

gregfountain wrote:
Nicely done Travis. If I read it correctly, you did a fine job sans the ND filter!

Greg

Hi Greg, thanks for stopping by and for the kind words. I actually had two ND filters stacked for this one, a 2 stop on a 6 stop...not ideal, but it will work in a pinch. The 10 would be a big help I think.

Rick Joyce
Total Posts: 6293

A powerful image exuding strength.

Travis Rhoads

Rick Joyce wrote:
A powerful image exuding strength.

Thanks Rick.

robert829
Total Posts: 539

I like the blk/white conversion travis i like this oneThe sky really cought my eye great job

Travis Rhoads

robert829 wrote:
I like the blk/white conversion travis i like this oneThe sky really cought my eye great job

Thanks Robert. I have been working on my b&w conversions a lot this year, good to hear it works for you.

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7090

You ended up with a very dramatic image here Travis. Maybe you wanted something a bit more, but I think this rendition is fantastic. Good entry.

Travis Rhoads

mark fadely wrote:
You ended up with a very dramatic image here Travis. Maybe you wanted something a bit more, but I think this rendition is fantastic. Good entry.

Thanks Mark. I wanted a little more movement in the clouds, but as the song goes, you can't always get what you want...

kellermsu
Total Posts: 954

Wow! Excellent.

2       end