"Near-To-Far" DOF w/tilt
/forum/topic/1121827/0

RustyBug
Total Posts: 11957

Here's an article I read up on last night that started to make a "little" sense to me as to what is going on with tilt.

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/tilt-shift-lenses2.htm

Here is today's attempt to put it into practice. IIRC this was about 18-20 inches away from the "plane of focus" (sign) with about 3-4 degress of tilt. It also has a few millimeters of shift being used (darn, forgot my ladder). Even a step stool would have been nice, but the shift saved the day in that regard.

Shot @ only f5.6

sbeme
Total Posts: 16655

pretty amazing for 5.6.
Did you buy the lens with architectural shots in mind?
Scott

RustyBug

Thanks Scott.

I bought the lens with sorta architecture in mind, sorta for landscape max DOF, sorta always wanted to learn tilt, sorta ... YIKES, it is an ultra-sharp WA lens with essentially no aberrations/distortion and very, very low vignetting.

Yes, to all of the above.

pinball_pw
Total Posts: 2450

Sounds cool. That is a lot of DOF, crazy.

AuntiPode
Total Posts: 6405

Yep. You can do amazing corrections and set interesting planes of focus with it.

timballic
Total Posts: 699

What is going on with the strange magenta cast on the wall above the sign Kent?

RustyBug

timballic wrote:
What is going on with the strange magenta cast on the wall above the sign Kent?

Oh, that was probably my Kodak SLR/c applying its automated variable color correction compensation (green/magenta) that I forget the name for. It rears its head occasionally with UWA (and tilt/shift) and I missed it as this was only a "test shot" as I was learning to use tilt. No worries ... it was ALL camera, I get it with other UWA's against neutral areas @ the edges sometimes. It is very much a Kodak SLR/c thing and the OEM software has slider adjustments ... but I mostly process with PS these days, so I didn't put it through the Kodak's processing to offset what the camera applied.

Again ... this is a Kodak SLR/C thing only. The lens is incredibly well corrected.

ben egbert
Total Posts: 5431

RustyBug wrote:
Thanks Scott.

I bought the lens with sorta architecture in mind, sorta for landscape max DOF, sorta always wanted to learn tilt, sorta ... YIKES, it is an ultra-sharp WA lens with essentially no aberrations/distortion and very, very low vignetting.

Yes, to all of the above.

+1 on ultra sharp. I love both my TSE lenses.

I do have trouble focusing though when I have to use live view. It is sorta ok for near stuff but worthless for infinity on a 1DS-mk3 and my eyes. I am using the focus ring now for infinity and live view for tilt.

I have not used it much for side tilts as in this example. Very nice job here.