#505 Modern Architecture
/forum/topic/1121393/0

2       end

Klaus Priebe
Total Posts: 9810

The Brain Center. Stainless steel and glass in some cool building art.

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3157

Cool shot, and find.

Norm

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1507

Great building, great intersections of planes, curved and straight lines...
It can't get much better than this ...
A giant Airstream trailer ...
Jerry

normsmith
Total Posts: 4033

Wow! Good job.
Norm

ESC in KC
Total Posts: 2692

*sigh* another week with no trophy for me...

Great subject for the topic, and excellent composition. It keeps the eye exploring all around the image. Love it.

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3831

a very unique building for sure...is this a Frank Gehry building?

ruuskan
Total Posts: 2232

Some serious architecture, good luck with this!

Klaus Priebe

Thanks for the comments everyone. Been so busy the last few days been tough to have time to reply.

Travis Rhoads wrote:
a very unique building for sure...is this a Frank Gehry building?

Travis,
Not sure who designed it. I will do a little research.

Travis Rhoads

if it is in Las Vegas, it is a Gehry, and a controversial one at that. Nicely presented here Klaus. Hard to do with his work sometimes!

Klaus Priebe

Travis Rhoads wrote:
if it is in Las Vegas, it is a Gehry, and a controversial one at that. Nicely presented here Klaus. Hard to do with his work sometimes!

Yep its in Vegas. I was there last week and shot this building a couple of times. Its really cool to just look at all the curves, angles and everything about it.

Travis Rhoads

It is hard to photograph his buildings and not have too much going on visually...part of why that building is controversial, the function inside does nto really go well with the outside chaos. You did a good job of capturing a nice detail of it, that still expresses the building as a whole. I suspect its skin is titanium though...

Klaus Priebe

Travis Rhoads wrote:
It is hard to photograph his buildings and not have too much going on visually...part of why that building is controversial, the function inside does nto really go well with the outside chaos. You did a good job of capturing a nice detail of it, that still expresses the building as a whole. I suspect its skin is titanium though...

Stainless Steel.

Travis Rhoads

really, cool, Gehry tends to use Titanium, must have had a tighter budget! For reference...that building was almost $1100 per square foot to build.

Klaus Priebe

Travis Rhoads wrote:
really, cool, Gehry tends to use Titanium, must have had a tighter budget! For reference...that building was almost $1100 per square foot to build.

Could have been Titanium. Looking at the metal it seemed to be Stainless.
Thats a heck of a lot of $ / sf
Decided to do a BW conversion on it. Kinda liked the metal look to it with the conversion.

Travis Rhoads

I looked it up, you were right, it is Stainless Steel...he broke tradition, just when he started to do the same thing over and over again. Yes, his buildings are expensive, each one essentially uses a new structural system, the structures are incredibly complicated. I can't see the justification for the cost, they are very cool, and really push the limits of materials, but at a very high price.

I love the conversion BTW Klaus, I think it really, really works...a big time contender this week for sure.

Klaus Priebe

Thanks Travis. I have worked construction for many years and have seen a lot of interesting buildings and architecture. This one is pretty cool and does have some nice looks to it at the right angles.
Its pretty amazing what construction costs are these days. High tech brings a very high price tag.

RustyBug
Total Posts: 13193

+1 @ the B&W conversion vs. color.

It almost looks cartoon personified.

Travis Rhoads

the B&W conversion really accentuates the metal, the image has so much more pop to it now. Klaus, you should post the color version outside the first post for comparison.

Klaus Priebe

Travis Rhoads wrote:
the B&W conversion really accentuates the metal, the image has so much more pop to it now. Klaus, you should post the color version outside the first post for comparison.

Here is the original color version
The more I compare the two the more I like the BW image.

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7085

Very nice Klaus. I love this building and you presented it elegantly with a good crop and angle. I remember this same building being a winner of another Weekly Assignment.

2       end