New Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens!
/forum/topic/1121002/0

Fred Miranda
Total Posts: 18002

A unique and indispensable addition to Canonís series of EF lenses, the new EF 40mm f/2.8 STM offers an ultra-slim and lightweight design. Incredibly compact in size, the 40mm f/2.8 lens delivers high image quality from the center to the periphery, thanks to its advanced lens configuration including an aspherical element, a bright 2.8 aperture, and optimized coatings that minimize ghosting and flare, while providing exceptional color balance.
Here are the main highlights:

• STM - Continuous Autofocus for Shooting Video
  • Lightweight 4.6 oz Lens
  • Unobtrusive--Less Than 1" Long
  • Aspherical Element--High Image Quality
  • Optimized Coatings Reduce Ghost & Flare
You may pre-order the new Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens from B&H Photo.

Kaustubh
Total Posts: 273

Having a small lens is nice if you have a slimmer body like the micro four thirds camera, but if you have a dslr then 1inche or 3-4 inches, it really doesn't matter. May be Canon is making a move towards 4/3rds by launching this, I don't know. Why not a cheap 17mm or 14mm f4 rather than 40mm. And I will rather buy the 1.8 for half the price.

To Canon: Instead make it two/three inches and make it faster. And we have a two 30s and three 50s prime. Give us 14-24 or cheaper ultra wides.

zndr
Total Posts: 208

I was hoping it would compete better (speed wise) with the voightlander 40mm offering, but at 2.8 . It's probably gonna be sharp as a tack and it's super light but not gonna do it for a 2.8

rji2goleez
Total Posts: 4731

If it's sharp as a tack it could end up being a fun lens for street shooting. A small unobtrusive autofocus lens. I don't know, but I'm looking forward to seeing what this thing can do!

tompfeiffer
Total Posts: 481

Kaustubh wrote:
Having a small lens is nice if you have a slimmer body like the micro four thirds camera, but if you have a dslr then 1inche or 3-4 inches, it really doesn't matter..

Honestly, I'm already thinking how small a package this will be on a Rebel body (my wife better lock hers up). If you are a Canon user, this is as small as it gets, and I've resisted the urge to buy into yet another platform just to have another, smaller camera.

Valentin
Total Posts: 471

This is perfect for street phtography. I rented the Voighlander a year ago and it was fun. i'm sure this will be fun as well. I pre-order mine today.

ksegedi
Total Posts: 46

This looks to be aimed at shooting video with the 4Ti with the STM unstead of USM, but would make a nice little lens.

AHPZuazua
Total Posts: 567

I meant to ask this question here. Sorry for the other post but I would like to jnow if lenses get tried out before they ship, similiar to a premodel Camera. Does everyone just preorder and if its no good return it it or sell it?

AHPZuazua
Total Posts: 567

I was thinking the same this as above. Is USM being replaced by this STM?