Help with elinchrom big octa and profoto D1 500
/forum/topic/1120857/0

fidelfs
Total Posts: 28

I tested mine last night for first time. I see a dark spot (1 stop darker) in the middle.
It is the shadow cast for the D1 monolight.
Is this because the D1 profoto is too long?
HOw can I fix it?

Please help!

jprisching
Total Posts: 113

You need to buy the glass dome for the Profoto D1. Spreads the light out more evenly when using large soft boxes.

fidelfs

I have it, but it doesn't fit inside the speedring. The outside diameter is to big compared to the aperture of the speedring of the opta.

fidelfs

Here is the image for the speedring adapter for profoto from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=16852&is=REG

You see the silver part, that one attach to the speed ring of the octa.
The silver part is not big enough to accept the dome.

colinm
Total Posts: 1983

The universal adapter should work with the dome installed, but I haven't tried it in that configuration.

If all you want to use are the big octas, the Eli-Profoto speedring adapter is a waste of money and perfectly good swearing-at-things time. The universal adapter (which amounts to a painted baby stud) works just as well, costs less, and doesn't require futzing with a stupid never-quite-right locking system.

fidelfs

Can you give me a link for the universal adapter?
I don't know about it.

hugowolf
Total Posts: 591

Just remove the Elinchrom built in reflector. I have posted instructions and an image on your DPReview thread.

Brian A

fidelfs

Brian,

I just had time this morning to remove the reflector. I will try tonight and see how it works.

Thanks,

visualist
Total Posts: 83

I doubt that will do the trick. 30cm is to long. Somewhere in the manual it even says that the 1200 RX (or older 1000Ws) are incompatible with the indirekt SBs because they are too large at 30cm.
I've never bothered to messure the slightly darker spot with the Bxri, wich are 26cm since it has no effect on the pictures. The d-lites with 24cm work perfect.

hugowolf

visualist wrote:
I doubt that will do the trick. 30cm is to long. Somewhere in the manual it even says that the 1200 RX (or older 1000Ws) are incompatible with the indirekt SBs because they are too large at 30cm.
I've never bothered to messure the slightly darker spot with the Bxri, wich are 26cm since it has no effect on the pictures. The d-lites with 24cm work perfect.

I havenít heard Ďindirectí from the OP, so I had assumed a standard deep octa. A reversed light is different proposition all together.

Brian A

hugowolf

fidelfs wrote:
I just had time this morning to remove the reflector. I will try tonight and see how it works.

The Elinchrom mounting system isnít very robust. The tangs can bend with large modifiers. If you have a really large octa that you want to use often, then you might want to consider the Elinchrom-Profoto Rotalux speed ring (#26531). I donít know how available this is yet, but it does away with the Elinchrom mount and instead allows the octa to be directly mounted to the Elinchrom-Profoto speed ring.
http://www.elinchrom.ch/product/Rotalux-Speedrings-Other-Brands.html#content

If your octa isnít that large, then you probably wonít have a problem with the adaptor. I mostly use the adaptor for smaller modifiers, like the Elinchrom snoot; which unlike most snoots, connects directly and doesnít need a reflector or barndoor frame.

Brian A

fidelfs

This is the one I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16822-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26158_Octa_Light_Bank_for.html

PeterBerressem
Total Posts: 729

fidelfs wrote:
This is the one I have:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16822-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26158_Octa_Light_Bank_for.html

Yes, this is the indirect EL type. B&H's description is wrong as it rather describes the standard-mounting Rotalux Octas.

hugowolf

fidelfs wrote:
This is the one I have:

Then I donít think the Elinchrom-Profoto Rotalux speed ring will work, the adaptor you have is probably your best chance without physically modifying the octa.

Try the adaptor without the reflector and without the Profoto dome first Ė I donít know if you will have room for the dome.

Brian A

nategigapixel
Total Posts: 331

fidelfs wrote:
Here is the image for the speedring adapter for profoto from B&H http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=ProductDetail&A=showItemLargeImage&Q=&sku=16852&is=REG

You see the silver part, that one attach to the speed ring of the octa.
The silver part is not big enough to accept the dome.

huh? How is that not big enough, we use the octa with that and it works fine.

fidelfs

Nategigapixel.

This is link showing my D1 with the dome. As you can see the reflector from the elinchrom adapter is at the top of the dome. It can not go further, and obviously the dome is a little smaller than the head diameter, therefore the head won't fit either.

https://plus.google.com/photos/104919133011557445152/albums/5751777283662296897

visualist
Total Posts: 83

The problem has nothing to do with the dome. The housing of the Profoto is much to large to fit into the Octa-Bank. Thats why there is a verry visible spot. The Light-banks are designed to being used with Packs and not with Compacts, though obviously smaller Compacts will work. If you want to use the EL-Octa with Profoto then get a Pack/Head, or a D-Lite 4, or a second-hand 101 or 202+Head, if 400Ws aren't enough. Heck, for whatever reason old Elinchrom Generators often enough are cheaper then used Bxri.

fidelfs

Yes, that is another option, that I've thought about it.
I will love to have a pack, actually I am saving to buy one, but at this moment, all the money that I have invested on my equipment has left my bank account in red.

I will have to make it work with this for some time, a few months until I get the money for a generator and heads.

As another post says, this dark spot doesn't affect the pictures at all. I just wanted to have my big octa all light up.

fidelfs

This is so great, I remove the reflector form Elinchrom and it is workiing,

I see a dark sport, but the difference is only 3/10. It looks great.

Thanks hugowolf.
It works!!!