#504 Paint with Light
/forum/topic/1119125/0

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7082

Middle of the woods late at night with a sparkler and a piece of string. I've been interested in light painting for a while so this week I thought I'd give it a whirl

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1404

You did a lot of swinging in 20 seconds; I once wrote my name with a sparkler, but had to try a dozen times before I could get the hang of writing backwards (so my body wouldn't block the camera)...still, fun project...

Now that you've...mmm, staked out the concept, I think you can expand on this over the weekend to become something really worthy of your imagination...
Go, Mark!
Jerry

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3746

I think that is a pretty cool shot. Juat enough light cast to see the trees, which give context, without them its an orb in space. Well done Mark.

mark fadely

Tenn.Jer wrote:
You did a lot of swinging in 20 seconds; I once wrote my name with a sparkler, but had to try a dozen times before I could get the hang of writing backwards (so my body wouldn't block the camera)...still, fun project...

Now that you've...mmm, staked out the concept, I think you can expand on this over the weekend to become something really worthy of your imagination...
Go, Mark!
Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the nice comment. That's a cool idea to write your name. I think you are right, I may try something a little more compelling with this technique before the week ends. Take care.

mark fadely

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I think that is a pretty cool shot. Juat enough light cast to see the trees, which give context, without them its an orb in space. Well done Mark.

Thanks Travis,

I didn't have a lot of time to play around with the duration of the shot and stuff so I may try another time. When I was on this path in the woods a couple came walking along with three dogs. The dogs were a bit scared of me and I turned on my cell phone so we could all see each other. Anyway, the guy asked me what I was doing and I said taking pictures. He said, "at night?" I said, "yep", and that was the end of our conversation.

Mado
Total Posts: 4539

Very interesting Mark. Very creative.

ESC in KC
Total Posts: 2679

Very cool - and I'm interested in seeing what you come up with as an alternative.

Checked out some BIF shots on your website - very impressive!

armenaaa
Total Posts: 45

really nice shot. you can also keep the light fix and move the camera. waaaay harder. i did once on our Christmas tree to get hearth shapes out of the lights. I tried lot more than a dozen to get the full shape. you might like the pic here:

birdied
Total Posts: 22782

Light and motion !! You guys always come up with something very creative . Great shot.

Birdie

mark fadely

Mado wrote:
Very interesting Mark. Very creative.

Thanks Mado, glad you like it.

mark fadely

ESC in KC wrote:
Very cool - and I'm interested in seeing what you come up with as an alternative.

Checked out some BIF shots on your website - very impressive!

Thanks, and I working on a couple of other ideas, but nothing is working out as well as this one.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the website. I love taking BIF shots, or anything that flies for that matter. It's so cool that the modern photo equipment can catch this type of action in such high resolution and sharpness. Love it!

mark fadely

armenaaa wrote:
really nice shot. you can also keep the light fix and move the camera. waaaay harder. i did once on our Christmas tree to get hearth shapes out of the lights. I tried lot more than a dozen to get the full shape. you might like the pic here:

Thanks, and thanks for posting your example. I would have never thought of something like that. You did a great job moving the camera to form the hearts. You just gave me another creative idea to use in the future. With shots like this you should be posting a lot more.

mark fadely

birdied wrote:
Light and motion !! You guys always come up with something very creative . Great shot.

Birdie

Hi Roberta,

Thanks for your nice comments once again. I'm glad to see you continuing to enter these assignments. It's fun having you around and seeing your ideas.

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3123

Very nice shot Mark, I think I'd catch myself on fire doing that, maybe I can get my wife to do it.

Norm

Oregon Gal
Total Posts: 1843

It kinda of reminds me of a big ball of rubber bands. Definitely thinking outside the box with this image nice job as always.

mark fadely

Hightraxx wrote:
Very nice shot Mark, I think I'd catch myself on fire doing that, maybe I can get my wife to do it.

Norm

Thanks Norm, and yes, fire is a possiblity. I plan to try something even riskier tonight if the weather holds out.

mark fadely

Oregon Gal wrote:
It kinda of reminds me of a big ball of rubber bands. Definitely thinking outside the box with this image nice job as always.

Thank you Barb. Now that you mention it I see the rubber band idea. Maybe should title it so.

armenaaa
Total Posts: 45

Thanks, and thanks for posting your example. I would have never thought of something like that...

Thanks, I am newbie here and trying to get my hands on anytime I find some spare time.

gregfountain
Total Posts: 6552

Terrific shot Mark! I need to give that a try!

Greg