#97 Township Hall
/forum/topic/1117930/0

kellermsu
Total Posts: 954

The Historical Sign reads:

BEARINGER UNION SCHOOL

A forest fire destroyed Bearinger's log schoolhose, known as Grace School, in 1919. The following year this structure was built of locally gathered fieldstone's -- no doubt chosen as a material resistant to fire. This building served Bearinger Township students until 1937 when the North Allis and Bearinger districts began transporting students to Onaway. in 1957 the township purchased the school and converted it to a township hall.

It is also home to the famous Dancing Hippopotamus arts and crafts festival (42nd year).

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3746

Cool story behind the building. I like the textures and colors of the stone.

kellermsu

Thanks Travis,
I appreciate your reply. When I saw the MA I knew this was the building I wanted to photograph. It was more of a challenge than I had anticipated. In my minds eye I envisioned something showing the front and the left hand side. But this was the only angle where the sign on the front of the building was readable. I thought that was an important part of the story.

Jim

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3123

Really nice photo Jim, I sit here wondering how many stones it took to make this building. Thanks for sharing.

Norm

kellermsu

Thanks Norm,
And to think there ware no front end loaders or dump trucks ... every stone was moved by man and beast.