Swaziland (39 pictures)
/forum/topic/1110276/0

2       3       end

Jon Courtney
Total Posts: 526

Had the opportunity once again to lead a team of 22 people to work in rural Swaziland helping to develop a "care point" which is a central place that children from the community come to for meals, pre-school education and mentorship. These care points are started and run by "go go's" which are women in the area that give up their time every day to cook for and feed the children of the community. They are truly amazing.

We were there this year installing a state-of-the-art irrigation system that will allow them to grow their own vegetables, beans and fruit to help become more self-sustainable. The children are beautiful and full of joy even though the stories behind each of them are unbelievably difficult....stuff no one should have to go through.

I'm sharing a few of my favourites (its hard to narrow them down :-) and I'm always open for C&C although I know I've posted a few too many to make that easy. Thanks for looking!
Jon

JoshuaD.FOTO
Total Posts: 244

These are awesome! thanks for sharing! it's good to see those we perceive as less fortunate in such good spirits, especially the little ones. This is just 'life' to them and I am sure that they were incredibly thankful for what you all have done. I commend you and God bless!

They are all very well executed but I especially like #10 and the different perspective it offers!

Sharona
Total Posts: 2342

WOWZA! I agree with the above, although I cannot possibly name a favorite. Beautiful photos and good on you for the work being done on behalf of these kids. African children have an amazing spirit. Almost brings tears to my eyes!

Sharon

Langran
Total Posts: 565

Awesome set, nice processing and a lot of the images feel like they're part of a narrative which is always a bonus

benee
Total Posts: 1664

I like the balance of portraits and more documentary work. Really strong work and consistent processing.

Bill Gass
Total Posts: 3810

Very KOOL, keep up the great work.

fstop212
Total Posts: 3072

There are NOT a few too many. In fact, to little. These photographs are so amazing. The emotion you've captured in all of them is priceless. Each one made my smile grow wider and wider. Every time the media portrays an area such as this, they NEVER show the happiness you portrayed here. Maybe if they did, people would be more generous. These are so amazing, and you and your people are even more amazing for doing this.

goosemang
Total Posts: 1475

i've gotta tell you, you've made a cynical, cranky photographer smile. and i agree with benee that it's a great mix of portraiture and documentary. some really nice stuff... the kind of portraits that make you want to just look into the other persons eyes. and i really like that lead in shot with the tractor smack in the center.

thanks for posting these

Big Appa
Total Posts: 995

One word

CHARMING!

neighbourboy
Total Posts: 2612

Fantastic series.

The only thing that was missing for me, was that we didn't get to see part of the story. Of course you were probably too busy actually working and building the irrigation system, but it would have been cool if you had been able to document more of that piece.

--David

jrrhodes
Total Posts: 958

Wow this is a great series. The expressions are fantastic and this makes me want to do this one day. I love the consistency of the exposures and the colors are great.

J.R.

joonrhee
Total Posts: 256

Wow, great series! Pictures are very nice and love the processing as well.

knox
Total Posts: 564

Jon . . truly, some great shots here! This is what photography is all about!

fredv
Total Posts: 836

simply wonderful...... THANKS!

vilimo
Total Posts: 897

These are BEAUTIFUL!!! All of them are great!!!

sachman
Total Posts: 717

These are outstanding, great to see so many smiles!

lsanto
Total Posts: 15

These images are really moving. # 19 is fantastic. Stunning work. God bless you.

Jonathan Huynh
Total Posts: 8471

Fantastic shot. I Like seeing these images. Thank for sharing.

Libert
Total Posts: 107

Great captures!

bruceali
Total Posts: 1330

Great work! and you have some gems there!

2       3       end