#499 Late Nights, Early Mornings
/forum/topic/1108688/0

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3772

My industry is on the rebound, our little company made it through one of the worst recessions that it has ever been through. All the work coming in makes for....Late Nights and Early Mornings! thanks for stopping by. Good luck to everyone this week.

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

Nice shot Travis. Great use of available light. I would like to see this cropped tighter on the right and more off the bottom. I think it would make the bright binder book melt to the darkness behind you. Just my opinion. I really like the shot.

Travis Rhoads

Hi Rich, thanks for taking the time. I agree a little more crop from the right might help, I wanted it to portray working late at night and early in the morning, so I really wanted the darkness to remain around me. I also wanted to get a lot of what I work with in the frame, convey what my desk feels like on a regular basis...thus the book at the bottom in frame. Thanks for the great crits though, I do appreciate it.

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

It is a great image and a really nice use of light. My wife always thinks I crop too tight as well. Good to have a critic in my family

Travis Rhoads

twistedlim wrote:
It is a great image and a really nice use of light.

Thanks Rich...its just my desk lamp...$10 at Office Depot! It has a daylight CFL bulb, easy to set color temp by, it is a lot like my studio light at home.

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7082

Nice moody shot Travis. I know the workplace is both at an office and in the home for a lot of people these days. This fits the theme nicely. I'm glad you have work right now as many are still struggling to get back to where they were 5yrs ago.

Travis Rhoads

mark fadely wrote:
Nice moody shot Travis. I know the workplace is both at an office and in the home for a lot of people these days. This fits the theme nicely. I'm glad you have work right now as many are still struggling to get back to where they were 5yrs ago.

Thanks for the comments Mark...this was done in my regular office this morning...I get in early! I don't get to work from home very often. I am glad to have work again too...2009 and 2010 were very tough years...I know they called it a recession...felt more like depression to me.

robert829
Total Posts: 535

I like this one TravisThe mood here is just perfect.The lighting is just right

Travis Rhoads

robert829 wrote:
I like this one TravisThe mood here is just perfect.The lighting is just right

Thanks Robert, glad it works for you.

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3151

very nice effect, well done.

Norm

Travis Rhoads

Hightraxx wrote:
very nice effect, well done.

Norm

Thanks Norm.

Mairi
Total Posts: 181

I really like this shot. Great lighting and mood. I also think it works very well in black and white.

Mx

Travis Rhoads

Mairi wrote:
I really like this shot. Great lighting and mood. I also think it works very well in black and white.

Mx

Thanks Mairi. Glad the mood was conveyed, I never had any intention of this one being in color, it was B&W in my mind...glad it works for you.

Mairi
Total Posts: 181

Mx

Klaus Priebe
Total Posts: 9721

Very nice indeed and glad you have made it through this crappy economy.

Travis Rhoads

Klaus Priebe wrote:
Very nice indeed and glad you have made it through this crappy economy.

Thanks Klaus. It does feel good to be busy again...and to be able to have things like a cleaning service...I got tired of cleaning the office restroom!

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1427

The hand on the head portrays the great tension and frustration involved here...the B&W treatment adds to the starkness of that.
I don't think this was supposed to be a happy photograph...
Good Work.
Jerry

Travis Rhoads

Tenn.Jer wrote:
The hand on the head portrays the great tension and frustration involved here...the B&W treatment adds to the starkness of that.
I don't think this was supposed to be a happy photograph...
Good Work.
Jerry

Hi Jerry, Thanks for taking the time to really look into and read the photograph. I really am glad that tension and frustration came through for you, it was part of what I wanted to portray. You see...when the economy really went sour, our company whittled down to the three partners and little old me...a lot of the work load was placed on me during those times, and that has continued...much of our ability to make it through has come at the expense of my efforts...so there is a great amount of tension and frustration for me as of late...thankfully this weekend I get a break...off to the racetrack for some good hot laps!

I hope to see another stellar entry from you this week!