#498 A Mother's Grave
/forum/topic/1107708/0

zquaratella
Total Posts: 261

Spending an hour or two in the Yale/New Haven Cemetery gave me all kinds of chills. The graves were extraordinary and eccentric; epitaphs ranged from the one displayed below to another that read simply "to die is gain." I spent some time with a landscaper there who relayed about half an hour's worth of ghost stories from his late afternoon forays in the ancient cemetery. I saw grave sites from the 18th century, and some that were completely faded. Those were the most thought provoking - whoever is buried there has been lost to the sands of time.

I'm glad that this week's assignment allowed me to experience something this extraordinary.

I chose to submit this photograph because I felt it was most symbolic of the assignment. This mother was such a matriarch that she defined her entire afterlife by that title she valued so much. Her name was completely absent from the tombstone. I can only hope that when I confront life's greatest mystery, I'll have the dignity and courage this mother did.

Thanks for stopping by!

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3745

Very poignant backstory, thanks for sharing it. And yes, if we could all have that courage, dignity and strength as our days come to an end...nice entry, good luck this week.

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1400

Very nice entry; the story says it all...
Good job.
Jerry

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7082

Great story and nice portrayal of the monument. The tilt adds a nice effect too.

zquaratella
Total Posts: 261

Thanks for the comments, guys. I love when photography makes me go out and meet people and hear their stories. It is just so rewarding.