#497 Bug Hunt
/forum/topic/1105379/0

Mairi
Total Posts: 181

My son Aidan and his friend Finn had a lot of fun this weekend searching for creepy crawlies and rock climbing at our local beach. A great time was had by all. :-)

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7082

Welcome back Mairi! Great shot showing youngsters in their natural habitat doing what they do. I like the backlighting too.

Tenn.Jer
Total Posts: 1403

Nice composition, and the sort-of-desaturated-sepia processing gives it a nice, old-fashioned look...
Jerry

Travis Rhoads
Total Posts: 3746

I REALLY like this one, it makes me think back to when I was a kid, and I really like the processing, it really gives it a nice vintage look, which makes it very timeless. It could have been taken 40 years ago, or 40 minutes, very nicely done.

svassh
Total Posts: 659

Terrific shot!

Hightraxx
Total Posts: 3123

Nice shot, and cute kids, I have to be honest everything about your shot is great but the overexposure from the sunlight is just too overwhelming, I know split second shots are hard to adjust for everything, but a retake with something to shade the sides of their heads would make the photo more pleasing to the eye, I find it hard to tell everyone the same thing when I feel I can maybe help make their next shot a little better.

Norm

Mairi

mark fadely wrote:
Welcome back Mairi! Great shot showing youngsters in their natural habitat doing what they do. I like the backlighting too.

Cheers Mark, they were very messy by the end of the day and soaked through having been wading through rock pools etc. :-) It's good to be back in the game. The last few weeks I've just been a spectator but this week i thought I'd bite the bullet and submit something.

Mairi

Tenn.Jer wrote:
Nice composition, and the sort-of-desaturated-sepia processing gives it a nice, old-fashioned look...
Jerry

Thanks Jerry, glad you like it. :-)

Mairi

Travis Rhoads wrote:
I REALLY like this one, it makes me think back to when I was a kid, and I really like the processing, it really gives it a nice vintage look, which makes it very timeless. It could have been taken 40 years ago, or 40 minutes, very nicely done.

Thanks for the amazing feedback Travis. I'm grinning right now. :-)

Mairi

svassh wrote:
Terrific shot!

Thank you! :-)

Mairi

Hightraxx wrote:
Nice shot, and cute kids, I have to be honest everything about your shot is great but the overexposure from the sunlight is just too overwhelming, I know split second shots are hard to adjust for everything, but a retake with something to shade the sides of their heads would make the photo more pleasing to the eye, I find it hard to tell everyone the same thing when I feel I can maybe help make their next shot a little better.

Norm

Hey Norm, thanks for your great comments and advice. I really appreciate what you say. I actually blew the highlights out intentionally in this shot. I know it's not for everyone but I kinda like it like this. I might have another play around though and see what I can achieve by keeping more detail in the hair and the side of Aidan's face. Thanks again!

birdied
Total Posts: 22774

Lovely capture of a moment of discovery . Love the sunlight through the blonde hair.

Birdie

Mairi

birdied wrote:
Lovely capture of a moment of discovery . Love the sunlight through the blonde hair.

Birdie

Thank you. Yeah, I liked Finn's hair in the sunlight too. I think I have blonde envy. ;-)

prasanna
Total Posts: 206

beautiful shot... I am almost sure this is a winner...

Mairi

prasanna wrote:
beautiful shot... I am almost sure this is a winner...

Wow, high praise indeed, thank you! I hope you're right but I doubt it, lol.