5D mark III "Stock Delayed"
/forum/topic/1104080/0

2       3              8       9       end

jfulton
Total Posts: 3241

Ordered a 5D mkiii from Beach Camera. It was suppose to ship out today, but I got a call from their sales department that said the entire batch that was to arrive had been re-routed back to Canon. They said it was unprecedented. Is there pending recall??

I sold a bunch of gear to fund this camera, was hoping to start shooting soon with it, but I'm now wondering what this is all about. Ugh.

rick_reno
Total Posts: 243

speculation i've seen suggests could be the light leak thing, err 80 or soft images

mark fadely
Total Posts: 7040

Doesn't it make sense for a company mass-producing a product to take a sample off the line after the first few hundred go out the door, and then have one of their own photogs go fully test it for a few days with every current lens in Canon's lineup just to make sure all is okay? I would bet they would find some little issues almost every time. For instance, the IS and viewfinder problem with the 5D III and 200 2.0 is one obvious example that could have been avoided. You mean they didn't test production units with this lens? That seems odd to me in lieu of all the costs for a possible recall.

kewlcanon
Total Posts: 4389

Downgrade the 61AF points to 9 AF points for free. Canon installed the wrong AF system on 5D III .

4x4rock
Total Posts: 1560

We need to hear more from other vendors. I hope it's isolated to the batches to Buydig and Beach Camera since they are the same company...

If the recall is to ALL cameras, then I don't mind sending it in if it is to make it better...just like a car recall

skibum5
Total Posts: 15114

4x4rock wrote:
We need to hear more from other vendors. I hope it's isolated to the batches to Buydig and Beach Camera since they are the same company...

If the recall is to ALL cameras, then I don't mind sending it in if it is to make it better...just like a car recall

from CR: "I have received various reports of 5D Mark III shipments to retailers being cancelled. Retailers in the USA have told various preorder buyers that the cameras have been “recalled” and that an announcement would come next week.

I have no idea at this moment if this is true, or what the rumoured recall is about."

weird. anyway it's more than beach+buydig now, at least one other (maybe two others if he treated beach and buydig as the same, which they basically are, even if not legally so)

John P Mulgrew
Total Posts: 4493

Gotta love how Canon keeps screwing up with their announcements, release dates and then finally recall.

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11203

rick_reno wrote:
speculation i've seen suggests could be the light leak thing, err 80 or soft images

No , I bet its to redesign the bottom to fit the new RRS Plates

twistedlim
Total Posts: 3127

I am glad I have a really nice mkII, sorry could not resist. Thanks for the body. For what it is worth I have not had issue one with my MK3. But heck I have just been shooting with the lens cap off.

deepbluejh
Total Posts: 6823

I suspect if this was a blanket recall, we would be hearing more about it from other vendors. Hopefully it's just isolated to this particular batch to this particular vendor.

Ian.Dobinson
Total Posts: 11203

kewlcanon wrote:
Downgrade the 61AF points to 9 AF points for free. Canon installed the wrong AF system on 5D III .

Yeah , Canon have decided that as everyone has complained about the tiniest little thing (ie that stupid supposed 'light leak' when the top LCD is lit up and you have the lens cap on thing) that we dont deserve any better .
they will relaunch the camera in a couple of months. it will be called the 5D Mk2n

apdieb
Total Posts: 1408

I hope there is a recall. I am about sick and tired of getting ERR 80 on mine and having to pull the battery to reset camera. Of course, I think I'll be sending mine back to B&H. I refuse to accept a defective body straight from the manufacturer.. Been there, done that with my 1D3... Never again.

dgleason
Total Posts: 197

my second mark III was supposed to ship from Profeel today. They told me the same thing.. that it had been called back for some reason??

apdieb
Total Posts: 1408

On a related (but not near as problematic) note... The camera will not keep the Eye-Fi X2 cards active like it's supposed to. The Eye-Fi goes offline every couple of minutes and makes it basically useless...or at the very least...maddening..

deepbluejh
Total Posts: 6823

Well this sounds ominous.

skibum5
Total Posts: 15114

apdieb wrote:
On a related (but not near as problematic) note... The camera will not keep the Eye-Fi X2 cards active like it's supposed to. The Eye-Fi goes offline every couple of minutes and makes it basically useless...or at the very least...maddening..

Bones74
Total Posts: 902

I have been told by two major UK retailers (Jessops and Jacobs Digital) today, that Canon has delayed sending them stock... I don't know if this means anything other than a stock shortage though.

AGeoJO
Total Posts: 11816

apdieb wrote:
I hope there is a recall. I am about sick and tired of getting ERR 80 on mine and having to pull the battery to reset camera. Of course, I think I'll be sending mine back to B&H. I refuse to accept a defective body straight from the manufacturer.. Been there, done that with my 1D3... Never again.

Your problem, bad as it may sound, seems to be isolated issues. I got the hunch it has to do with the 200mm issues that cannot be fixed with just a firmware update. Every single owner of that lens reports a problem with the loud noise and weird IS feature. It is not good for the owner of that lens at this point but it doesn't look like a lot of people did get affected since that lens is not widely used. Of course, it would be a good strategy to fix the problem and stop the shipment first and do the recall on bodies that have been sold already.

BTW, I remember you from the 1D Mark III days, Andrew. I am sorry to hear that you are getting another glitchy body, even now . Don't go to Vegas, OK .

omarlyn
Total Posts: 4066

jfulton wrote:
...but I got a call from their sales department that said the entire batch that was to arrive had been re-routed back to Canon. They said it was unprecedented. Is there pending recall??[/

Who knows...but one thing's for sure, I wouldn't believe anything a from a saleman/depatment (no matter how highly I may think of the retailer). It could just as well be that they over-sold inventory that did not actually have or did not arrive in time and it's simply easier to give you a phoney-baloney story about some recall (or whatever). It was even suggested in another post recenty that some smaler retailers who took paid pre-orders where not filling those order...instead they were offering those initial cameras at a surcharge premium and letting the paid pre-orders wait for the next batch.

Maybe it's true, maybe it's not...who knows...but I wouldn't be so quick to believe the sales department.

My 2 Cents,
Omar

RobertLynn
Total Posts: 11425

opcorn:

Going to watch 1div prices climb again lol.

Glad I wasn't an early adopter.

2       3              8       9       end