Fujifilm X-mount Image Thread
/forum/topic/1097477/77

1       2       3              77      
       79              300       301       end

Rob_O
Total Posts: 402

Sun made a rare appearence here in the UK last weekend, so I forced myself out of bed at 3:30am Easter Sunday to make a 2.5 hour drive down to the coast. Unfortunately, it was actually 4:30am, because the clocks moved forward that night and mine weren't yet changed ... meaning I arrived an hour later than I'd have liked. Still, I was greeted with a beautiful morning.

I used the X-E1 and Fujinon 14mm f/2.8 to sort of document the day's travels, and my 5D3 for some long exposure landscape work. The 14 had a Hoya vari ND mounted as well (at 2-3 stops most of the day) .

Started by hiking along the clifftops, capturing some long exposures with the 5D3. This area is known as he Jurassic Coast and is a World Heritage Site.

This is Durdle Door ... my intended destination when I set out that morning.

On location learnin'

I hiked more than 12 miles that day, with around 14kg (30lbs) of gear, and climbed the equivalent of more than 150 flights of stairs. A good day out!

Once the sun was too harsh for seascapes/landscapes, I drove about 40km east to the small sea village of Swanage. Many of the following were processed for effect, somewhat compensating for conditions but also because the area had a sort of nostalgic feel. All X-E1 images are from in-camera jpg's (including above), despite shooting RAW+JPG. The jpgs are just that good.

There's an old pier adjacent to this "new" pier, which I did a LE of with the 5D3 (see down below).

That's a mural painted on the wall, as is the window on the left (not a real window). Pretty damn cool.

There's another rock formation in Swanage called Old Harry's Rocks, but ambient light was terrible so I didn't bother making the 5-mile (RT) hike.

Quintessential English beach huts. Too effing cold for anyone to visit though, even on Easter Sunday.

Like an upscale, beachfront shanty town

Cold day ... but nice enough to relax in the sun

Couldn't leave without some lunch

From Swanage I drove a further 50km east to the fairly large beach destination of Bournemouth. In summer this place is elbow-to-elbow packed.

Sadly, this is proper beach attire right now. :-/

British Springtime 2013 ...

Weeeeee

As the day progressed I decided to make the hour-long journey back to Durdle Door for sunset. I was there 2 hours early. Stupid BST meant the sun didn't go down that day until 7:40!

Totally worth the wait.

And while I realize this is the Alt forum, and an XP1 / X-E1 thread, here are a couple taken with the 5D3 ... which was really the purpose of my journey.

Nice of the birds to sit still for almost 30 seconds.

End of day ...

Mrsekret
Total Posts: 99

I just picked up the xp1. Here are a few from my first trip out.

DSCF4496 by BKeasling, on Flickr

HipHop by BKeasling, on Flickr

DSCF4545 by BKeasling, on Flickr

DSCF4479 by BKeasling, on Flickr

DSCF4515 by BKeasling, on Flickr

DSCF4448 by BKeasling, on Flickr

apsphoto
Total Posts: 560

Rob great shots of the coast. Looks like a great day.

Mrsekret nice shots.

Alan

jmmaher
Total Posts: 153

+1, very nice shots
Jim

ceder
Total Posts: 278

Superb images Rob! Especially the last ones!
And welcome Mrsekret! (I hope that is not Swedish )

buggz2k
Total Posts: 1661

Tybee Island morning from FujiFilm X-E1 and Fujinon XF 18-55:

buggz2k

FujiFilm X-E1 and Fujinon XF 18-55:

Marco
Total Posts: 1415

Very nice images from your X-E1 Rob!

But... those from your "slow, serious setup" are absolutely awesome...

Camtography
Total Posts: 34

I love this thread!

Rob_O, if you don't mind me asking, what type of ND filter do you use for those amazing landscape photos? I ended up getting a Hoya 3 stop ND filter and a Hoya Infrared filter for my 35mm lens but then I realized that Hoya makes variable 10 stop filters, I cried a little hehe.

buggz2k

Fujifilm X-E1 - Helios 44M-7 - 58mm f2.0:
Dunno if you can see the texture in the resized version, but, it's quite nice in the full sized version.

Jman13
Total Posts: 10501

X-E1, 14/2.8:

Rob_O

Camtography wrote:
I love this thread!

Rob_O, if you don't mind me asking, what type of ND filter do you use for those amazing landscape photos? I ended up getting a Hoya 3 stop ND filter and a Hoya Infrared filter for my 35mm lens but then I realized that Hoya makes variable 10 stop filters, I cried a little hehe.

For the DSLR (5D3) shots I used a Lee Big Stopper (10-stop ND) + Lee 0.9 soft grad ND.

I have the Hoya 9-stop variable ND for the Fuji lenses and it was on the 14mm all day, but only at 2-3 stops since I really just needed to dial down the harsh light a bit for better exposure control versus doing long exposures. I'd planned on doing a few LEs with the X-E1. Unfortunately, I only had a Gorillapod and it wasn't tall enough to be use full on this trip. I need to get a RRS mount for it so I can use it on my Gitzo with RRS ball head.

Thanks for the compliments all.

ddjohns1
Total Posts: 33

Rob_O wrote:
Camtography wrote:
I love this thread!

For the DSLR (5D3) shots I used a Lee Big Stopper (10-stop ND) + Lee 0.9 soft grad ND.

I have the Hoya 9-stop variable ND for the Fuji lenses and it was on the 14mm all day, but only at 2-3 stops since I really just needed to dial down the harsh light a bit for better exposure control versus doing long exposures. I'd planned on doing a few LEs with the X-E1. Unfortunately, I only had a Gorillapod and it wasn't tall enough to be use full on this trip. I need to get a RRS mount for it so I can use it on my Gitzo with RRS ball head.

Thanks for the compliments all.

Rob, I really like your photos, thanks for posting, they are fantastic. What is your preferred method of triggering long exposures-- do you use a cable, set the timer function or something else? Also, do you have a favorite tripod for using you X-E1 when you are traveling? It looks like you used a sturdy Gitzo for the 5DIII but I have to imagine something more portable would be plenty for the X-E1?

carstenw
Total Posts: 15347

The tripod looks like it might be a Gitzo GT1541T, one of the smallest and lightest Gitzos. I have the GT1542T, which is very similar, and it is a great little tripod. With a bit of care, and not too much wind, it can make perfectly sharp shots with my D800.

Jeff Kott
Total Posts: 1154

carstenw wrote:
The tripod looks like it might be a Gitzo GT1541T, one of the smallest and lightest Gitzos. I have the GT1542T, which is very similar, and it is a great little tripod. With a bit of care, and not too much wind, it can make perfectly sharp shots with my D800.

Sorry for the off topic question, but do you use it with the center post extended or do you take off the center post?

carstenw

I leave my centre post in, but almost always at the bottom. I am not sure how I would use the tripod without the post. It isn't like a Systematic series.

Rob_O

ddjohns1 wrote:

Rob, I really like your photos, thanks for posting, they are fantastic. What is your preferred method of triggering long exposures-- do you use a cable, set the timer function or something else? Also, do you have a favorite tripod for using you X-E1 when you are traveling? It looks like you used a sturdy Gitzo for the 5DIII but I have to imagine something more portable would be plenty for the X-E1?

Thanks. I use a Chinese knockoff of the Canon TC-80N3 remote to trigger the shutter; this one specifically. Works great. I shoot with the camera in Live View mode, which can see through the 10-stop filter when exposure is set correctly (believe it or not), and means the mirror is locked up.

The tripod I use most for travel is a Gitzo 1542T with RRS BH40 ball head. Great combo; lightweight and the Gitzo folds up damn near flat so easy to pack in 'carry on' bag when flying. I will use it for the X-E1 as well once I have a acra swiss plate for the Fuji.

I bought a Gorlliapod Zoom for the Fuji as well, but in a landscape environment it's too close to the ground. I tried hanging it off the side of the Gitzo. Didn't work well.

ETA

Here's a shot I took some time back comparing the GT1542 with RRS BH40 in "travel mode" against the Manfrotto 190MF in its most compact state. The 190 is a fairly small tripod, and being magfiber fairly light. The Gitzo kills it in every way (at 4x the price though)

Rob_O

carstenw wrote:

Mine's a GT1542T as well. EXCELLENT tripod. I have it with me 99% of the time when travelling, and even carried it strapped to a Lowpro sling while skiing for a week recently. I also have a Manfrotto 055XPROB with RRS BH50 ball head for heavier duty use, but it's a beast to drag along on hikes or air travel so it rarely leaves the house.

FWIW, the wind was blowing pretty good when I took those coastal shots. I hook my bag to the center post for stability and it's rock solid.

carstenw

Ah yes, so it is. I don't know why I thought it was a 1541. Anyway, I love mine, I have almost stopped using my GT3542XLS since buying this, just because it is so light and small, yet still good enough for sharp shots with my D800, as long as I take care.

Brody LeBlanc
Total Posts: 1026

Frying - X-E1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Punk - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Moonshine - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

sadie-1509 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Fighting - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Roots - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Sadie - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Sadie - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

River Dog - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Sea Spud - X-E1 w/ Fuji 18/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Spring - X-E1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Branches - X-E1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Carving - X-E1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

Little Sadie - X-E1 w/ Leica-R 35/2 by brodyl.91, on Flickr

I already know I'm going to miss the Leica 35/2... Darn. Oh well, X100s here I come!

1       2       3              77      
       79              300       301       end